• fred333

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 20, 2013
    Is this it?
    436B0F06-C044-40F9-8A5E-33C56B446133_zpsvx4t9t07.jpg

Yup.

Feb 28, 2013
    Didn't know they made a bipod and bayonet. My Dad has the little Colt scope that came new with his SP1 and the original magazine but I should look for the bipod and pig sticker to complete the set.

Ah the good ole days. He bought that SP1 in the 80s from Valley Gun for something like $275.

That was back when I used to flip through Guns n' Ammo lookin' at the pictures.

How people would cry if they saw a 10 year old kid doin' that now. :rolleyes:

dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg
    If it looks like this on the bottom it is and the 20-rounder's the main target (the 30-rounder's just for extra bonus points):
    colt_556_floorplate_20rd_dalbert.jpg

Not necessarily, That just means that the base plate is Colt. Colt mags are also marked with CI on the front of the mag body. I have seen lots of "dealers" trying to pass off non-Colt mags with those base plates at premium prices. Buyer beware!

sailskidrive

Legalize the Constitution
    Oct 16, 2011
    Route 27
    The mags I showed in my pic have the old school metal follower. I picked up a bunch of them over ten years ago for $5 each at a gun show... Very odd finish, it's almost like they are blued.

OKAY made Colts mags for many years, not still sure if they still do...

BossmanPJ

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2013
    Cecil County
    Didn't know they made a bipod and bayonet. My Dad has the little Colt scope that came new with his SP1 and the original magazine but I should look for the bipod and pig sticker to complete the set.

Ah the good ole days. He bought that SP1 in the 80s from Valley Gun for something like $275.

They sure did. All Colt marked. If you find a good bipod it will have a military marked pouch with it. A good Colt marked bayonet will also include the sheathe.

Colt bipod marking number 62122
    Colt bayonet marking number 62316.

fred333

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 20, 2013
    Not necessarily, That just means that the base plate is Colt. Colt mags are also marked with CI on the front of the mag body. I have seen lots of "dealers" trying to pass off non-Colt mags with those base plates at premium prices. Buyer beware!

True, but, to simplify, it's easier just to verify that the baseplate's correct. It's easy to check and if that's wrong, game's over. If it's correct, then you move on to the other details, which require more articulation and specification.

dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg
    True, but, to simplify, it's easier just to verify that the baseplate's correct. It's easy to check and if that's wrong, game's over. If it's correct, then you move on to the other details, which require more articulation and specification.

Yep. Back when I was at Ft. Knox, all the magazines we used were disassembled and put into a large cleaning bin, no attention was paid as to which part went to which mag.. There were lots of mixed part mags. when reassembled. All were mil spec and all worked. None of the springs had any markings and I don't recall any of the followers having a mfg. marking.

fred333

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 20, 2013
    Yep. Back when I was at Ft. Knox, all the magazines we used were disassembled and put into a large cleaning bin, no attention was paid as to which part went to which mag.. There were lots of mixed part mags. when reassembled. All were mil spec and all worked. None of the springs had any markings and I don't recall any of the followers having a mfg. marking.

This is an important point for those (like me) who're assembling Vietnam-era military Colt ARs. You can expend a terrific amount of time, effort and money to locate/match an exact part from an historical photo or OEM spec sheet, but, most likely, after the rifle'd been out in the field for a bit, it'd be returned for maintenance/repair to an armorer (often multiple times and in the hands of multiple armorers!), who disassembled and tossed all the parts into a pile along with similar parts from other rifles he was working on; only to reassemble the rifle from randomly-pluck parts outta the pile. Add to that, as parts wore, broke or went missing, they'd be replaced with current (new) replacement parts. Armorers didn't give a fig about collectibility or originality; they (correctly) were solely interested in getting the firearms back into the field asap (with the least amount of effort by the armorer) and in proper/safe function. Therefore, often, the actual tools soldiers carried may not've been in the same OEM configuration they left the factory in. Many of today's so-called "clone" copies are closer to OEM than the working originals. That's why, as long as the parts're all Colt and accurate to the genre, I'm quite comfortable deviating a bit from OEM spec for the project I'm working on.

Last edited:
    Apr 8, 2012
    Earth
    Do you mind me asking what the thought process is on two identically built rifles? Not trying to be a jerk, just truly curious.

If I like something and it works for me, I like to have an exact back up in case one is down for whatever reason. Muscle memory and all that stuff... It started when I was a bicycle racer and my race bike and my training/secondary bike were the same make/model and setup more or less the same.

SoMD_Gen4

Apr 16, 2013
    SoMD
    If I like something and it works for me, I like to have an exact back up in case one is down for whatever reason. Muscle memory and all that stuff... It started when I was a bicycle racer and my race bike and my training/secondary bike were the same make/model and setup more or less the same.

Ahh ok, that makes sense.

steves1911

Ultimate Member
    Dec 2, 2011
    On a hill in Wv
    I don't comment much in this thread because a lot of these rifles look similar in their effect (sorry guys!). Not to say I don't always like the guns I see here, but this one really got my attention. Like it a lot. Great build!

- Brent

Thanks this thing took months to put together most of the wait was for kreiger to get the barrell blank to compass lake so they could cut the chamber.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Jtlambo

Latest threads

Top Bottom