• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

wyomingboy

Jan 26, 2009
    I don't get it. What's with this whacky obsession with tactical shotguns? It seems like nearly every thread here has to do with cheap pump guns wearing gobs of aftermarket junk, followed by comments like "cool". What in the world would anyone outside of law enforcement or the military use this junk for? Even they don't use such flowered up spacy looking toys. Surely it could not really be used for "HD" when there are clearly better choices for that one in ten thousand need. They are good for nothing other than an occasional fire fight in a phone booth! They are not hunting guns or target guns. I think way too many folks have been spending way too much time playing video games and are now trying to own a gun invented in the mind of some game programmer. :sad20:

What ever happened to Trap guns, Skeet guns, Sporting Clays guns, Waterfowl guns or Upland Bird guns? Does anyone on this forum other than a few rare posters actually hunt or shoot clay targets? Does anyone here actually have a sense of history when it comes to shotgun development and use? I don't think most of you wannabee WWI trench gun users would recognize a good bird gun if it hit you in the head! :rolleyes:

Please........ no more pictures of rattling Mossberg pumps with plastic stocks and parts stuck on them that look like they came off a 1956 Studebaker. How about posting info about your classic American doubles. Pictures of LC Smiths, AH Foxes or Parkers would be refreshing. How about info on the latest development in target guns and ammo. Perhaps info on any of the clay target games would be more helpful to those who might want to pursue those sports than yet another picture of tactical BS. :rolleyes:

Hey 'yall..... thanks for letting me vent! :)

3rdRcn

RIP
    Industry Partner
    Sep 9, 2007
    Harford County
    Are you saying that because someone else likes something that you don't that it shouldn't be posted? Maybe it's because you don't see a need for them that they shouldn't be around and only those true shotguns (by your definition) are the only ones that should be sold. Do you think AR's should be banned, because, after all, they have no sporting purpose and most of the folks who own them would never use them in combat?

Maybe I'm misunderstanding your post, please clarify if you would.

fivepointstar

Thank you MD-Goodbye
    Apr 28, 2008
    3rd Rock from the Sun
    Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. But I get alittle offended telling someone not to post a firearm that they are extremely proud of owning or building. Why would you ask someone to do that one a gun forum?? No one forces anyone to open a thread, read it or view the pics. If it doesn't interest you just don't read it.

I also don't understand your post???

squirrels

Who cooks for you?
    Jan 25, 2008
    Not everyone enjoys shooting skeet. It's a matter of personal preference.

I don't see why you're getting pissy over what someone else does with their shotgun. Not everyone is going to look at firearms the same way you do. They're not "uncultured" just because they take pride in their home-defense shotgun and don't trap-shoot.

Boondock Saint

Ultimate Member
    Dec 11, 2008
    White Marsh
    I remember a similar post that wyomingboy made that was pretty informative regarding shotguns for HD use. I would hope that some folks are misinterpreting this particular post, as he seems to have a wealth of knowledge regarding this particular type of firearm, and I'm glad that he shared it a few (several?) days ago.

That having been said, I own an unaltered Mossberg 500. It's got a plastic stock and a plastic forend, but it is as capable of ruining a bad guy's day as much as practically anything else out there. Everyone is free to have their own opinion, and if I see fit to post a picture, well, I'm going to do so. :)

Last edited:
    Oct 27, 2008
    Dundalk, Hon!
    You know, this really is a great country.
    patriotic-flagwaver.gif
    You get to tell us what you think, what you like to see (or not, in this case), and we get to tell you what we think of the thoughts you've shared with us:

nyahnyahBIG.jpg

Relax. It's a big forum, there's room for everyone.
    hippie.gif
    Have a terrific day!

fivepointstar

Thank you MD-Goodbye
    Apr 28, 2008
    3rd Rock from the Sun
    You know, this really is a great country.
    patriotic-flagwaver.gif
    You get to tell us what you think, what you like to see (or not, in this case), and we get to tell you what we think of the thoughts you've shared with us:

nyahnyahBIG.jpg

Relax. It's a big forum, there's room for everyone.
    hippie.gif
    Have a terrific day!

GNLa...your Smiles made my day:lol2: I had to show my 9yr old and she said that cool.

shadow116

2nd Class Citizen
    Feb 28, 2008
    Emmitsburg
    What's with this whacky obsession with tactical shotguns?

I don't think most of you wannabee WWI trench gun users would recognize a good bird gun if it hit you in the head! :rolleyes:

First this is not going to end well :sad20:

Next since I guess I am grouped into your stated "Wannabes", I guess since I have my ugly black Benelli plastic piece of crap with all the crap hanging off of it sitting next to my perfect Browning/Citori Golden Sporting Clays, which is used for Clays and Pheasants, I should hang my head in shame and never post anymore.

OR I could start a non-insulting discussion about some "Nice" sporting shotguns, and I am sure that other members who enjoy the smae passion would join in and all the world would be happy.

But really, find the thread you like and enjoy....and just ignore us wannabes and our threads which offend you.

I just hope that you are not offended by other "tacticool" accessories for other firearms.

By the way do you know what a Barrel Shroud is???

ALBY

Jan 5, 2008
    I hunt birds and shoot sporting clays, but i also shoot three gun and I do it with my 870 once in a while. Variety is the spice of life. My 870 police is a tactical builup with a mag extension and some ghost ring sights. not beautiful like my field guns, but it has a charm of it's own. there are not too many people faster than me with a pump shotty in 3gun, but one guy on here is and his name is pauln, and he shoots an uglyass mossberg 590 with a heatshield. but when you see him drive the gun, it is a thing of beauty.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Here is an example of a fine sporting shotgun, without all the plastic and pistolgrips that us heathens love:rolleyes:

elmer_fudd.jpg

cyclrcr

Pronounced as cycleracer
    Oct 24, 2008
    Joppa
    Are you saying that because someone else likes something that you don't that it shouldn't be posted? Maybe it's because you don't see a need for them that they shouldn't be around and only those true shotguns (by your definition) are the only ones that should be sold. Do you think AR's should be banned, because, after all, they have no sporting purpose and most of the folks who own them would never use them in combat?

Maybe I'm misunderstanding your post, please clarify if you would.

now, now... lets not jump on the guy too bad! I kinda feel his pain also, but then again I liked seeing all the treads about all guns.

There was a posting asking for a "shotgun shoot" and people to attend. I was excited because I haven't been clay shooting in a while. But to my disappointment, everyone wanted to shoot their tacticals at a range. I asked the same question.

I did think his choice to ask everyone to stop posting about their tacticle shotguns was poor! Of course don't think that I am also against tacticle shotguns, I am actually looking for one for HD.

Wyoming... start your own threads on clay shootings to see who enjoys that side of shotgunning. I know I would like that! :thumbsup::D

Last edited:

hole punch

Paper Target Slayer
    Sep 29, 2008
    Washington Co.
    i understand the post. it has smileys. it's to be taken lightly. in otherwords "where's all the non-tactical shotguns? do they want to come out and play?"

myself, i'm thinking about doing a pistol grip conversion on a Saiga-12 and slapping a red dot on it sometime soon hehehe :thumbsup:

HoCoShooter

Ultimate Member
    Feb 25, 2009
    Howard County
    I don't get it either...mine is a 'tactical' shotgun...it may not need the heat shield, but I do think the recoil reducing stock is useful and besides, it's a Mossberg 500. There's very few more reliable shotgun platforms out there. I don't shoot muzzleloaders, but I enjoy looking at them along with all other types of weapons.

ps. you sound a little bit like one of the Democratic gun banners saying that there's no place for non sporting guns. :)

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    I don't get it. What's with this whacky obsession with tactical shotguns? It seems like nearly every thread here has to do with cheap pump guns wearing gobs of aftermarket junk, followed by comments like "cool". What in the world would anyone outside of law enforcement or the military use this junk for? Even they don't use such flowered up spacy looking toys. Surely it could not really be used for "HD" when there are clearly better choices for that one in ten thousand need. They are good for nothing other than an occasional fire fight in a phone booth! They are not hunting guns or target guns. I think way too many folks have been spending way too much time playing video games and are now trying to own a gun invented in the mind of some game programmer. :sad20:
    Thank you for your divisive opinion. It's great that there is always someone who will ignore the true meaning of the Second Amendment (own and carry fighting guns) and criticize others who's tastes differ. Otherwise, things would be boring and the overt snobbery is sorta refreshing, since we have so few here with that sort of attitude.
    What ever happened to Trap guns, Skeet guns, Sporting Clays guns, Waterfowl guns or Upland Bird guns? Does anyone on this forum other than a few rare posters actually hunt or shoot clay targets? Does anyone here actually have a sense of history when it comes to shotgun development and use? I don't think most of you wannabee WWI trench gun users would recognize a good bird gun if it hit you in the head! :rolleyes:
    There is a certain financial threshold one must cross to be able to have a dedicated trap or skeet gun, especially the sort that you seem to endorse in you other few posts. Clay target opportunities are also somewhat limited and can be relatively expensive. With the price of the shooting, the ammo and the travel, not everyone can do this often enough to need a shotgun for it. I used to RUN the skeet range over at Ft. Meade and used my all-purpose M-870 with good results, and recognize that proficiency is definitely not related to one's choice of shotguns.

While you may not yet know where you are, bird hunting opportunities in Maryland have shrunk to the point of being an inherited privilege or rich man's sport. Unless one is born into private property, there is quite simply no place to hunt birds. There are two major bird hunting opportunities around here; either we pay a waterfowl lease or we pay a managed hunting area to dispatch pen raised birds. Both of these hunting methods are quite expensive and many folks just can't justify the cost for the return. We can always sneak boat the very few rivers and creeks where hunting is still allowed, but we often find ourselves shoulder to shoulder with other hunters. Further, due to human population and drastic changes in farming practiced over the last thirty years, populations of pheasant and quail are almost below huntable numbers in areas where the used to be plentiful. I grew up on a farm in central MD and really can't remember the last time I heard a native bobwhite.

For the reasons above, many people relegate shotgun use to occasional blasting and use an inexpensive blasting shotgun. No harm in that, and anyone who takes offense at that is truly part of the problem; the problem being this division of ranks between fellow shooters and the feeling that one must have sporting use firearms to be legitimate.

I have several top of the line tactical competition rifles that would cost over $6,000 to duplicate. I would never criticize someone else's choice in a rifle, especially if the purchase decision was grounded in financial considerations. Regardless of the cost or beauty of their rifles, and depth of their pockets, I help others into the sports, share knowledge and encourage new shooters no matter what they bring to the table.

As far as history goes, some don't care. No harm in that.
    Please........ no more pictures of rattling Mossberg pumps with plastic stocks and parts stuck on them that look like they came off a 1956 Studebaker. How about posting info about your classic American doubles. Pictures of LC Smiths, AH Foxes or Parkers would be refreshing. How about info on the latest development in target guns and ammo. Perhaps info on any of the clay target games would be more helpful to those who might want to pursue those sports than yet another picture of tactical BS. :rolleyes:
    If you had said, in a tactical context, that the overloading of a defensive shotgun doesn't make sense and keeping it streamlines, lightweight and handy, I'd have been agreement.

As it is, your elitist post does nothing to CONTRIBUTE to the forum, and only offers criticism of firearms that don't meet your personal standards and preferences. Who cares what YOU like?

If you want to see more clay target sports discussion, CONTRIBUTE SOMETHING.

Try to DO something constructive.

Start a thread here offering to help folks. Write a constructive "how to" article that doesn't come off in a condescending manner, IF YOU CAN. Meet some new shooters at a range and help them get started. Offer free lessons to those who do wish to pursue the few things that DO meet your approval.

I practice what I preach, search my posts. Go look at the competition forums, the rifle forums and the reloading forums. I help and I teach and I promote the sports to those who simply ask. I have written and contributed a "Get Started . . . " article that will be published over at LongRangeHunting.Com in April, with the sole intent of helping new shooters. This is NOT the same empty talk and ******** criticism I see here.

3rdRcn offers you the benefit of the doubt, but I can't see any doubt here. The original post is clearly mean spirited and critical of those who do not meet your narrow minded approval.
    Hey 'yall..... thanks for letting me vent! :)
    :sad20:

wyomingboy

Jan 26, 2009
    tactiuncool

by hole punch:

I understand the post. it has smileys. it's to be taken lightly. in otherwords "where's all the non-tactical shotguns? do they want to come out and play?"

Congrats hole punch.... after umpteen replies, you got it, while the others got wound around the spokes and started reading way too much between the lines. :thumbsup:

Luke 12:49

A Good Ole Boy
    Feb 18, 2009
    Culvert County
    "To each his own." http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0039040/

Everyone is entitled to his or her own opinion in life, because let's face it, we wouldn't be the country today if we didn't allow others to express their opinions! However, there is the correct and incorrect way in going about how to discuss differences in opinions, there is the constructive, decent, respectful manner...and then there is the argumentative, disrespecting, degrading manner...let's just try to stick with option "A".

That being said, I understand where wyomingboy is coming from, it may seem a little absurd for everyone to post pictures of their "tacticool" HD shotgun. BUT that doesn't make that person less of a firearm owner because he/she is devoutly proud of his/her new aquisition to his/her collection. If a person wants to go buy a HD shotgun and then spend more than the shotguns worth on "accessories", "toys", etc. for it, then it is that individuals perogative and noone should think poorly because that person is happy doing what he/she is doing with their weapon.

Yet, not everything has to be about HD shotguns, or game, clay, hunting shotguns, because lets face it, those are two vastly different (if you will) "fields of study). That would be the same as going into a Managerial Economics classroom and having the professor teach one the "Synthesis of Benzoic Acid" (Organic Chemistry).

There is the possibilty to have a beautiful HD shotgun, and an elaborate sporting shotgun. I have both and I have nothing to complain about. They both serve their purpose and I know them both personally :D.

http://www.mdshooters.com/gallery/showimage.php?i=609&catid=member&imageuser=4437

http://www.mdshooters.com/gallery/showimage.php?i=606&catid=member&imageuser=4437

Everyone has their "cream-of-the-crop", "top-of-the-line" weapons each of us "prefer". For instance I am not a big time "player" in hand-guns, pistols, revolvers. If I had to pick between a pistol and a rifle, I'd choose a rifle. But to me, any and every gun is a B-E-A-UTY! Even that old rusted P.O.S. AK from those Somalian Pirates is beautiful. And everyone of us has a different monetary income and can afford a vast array of weapons, and "accessories" for those weapons.

But please, let's not act like a bunch of kids here in middle/high school and bicker because someone had a bad day (or something to that effect) and it just so happened to be that the "tacticool" HD shotguns was the way one "lashed" out about one's bad day. All of us here ceom from different backgrounds in weapons, and each is more experience in a vast array of aspects. I for one am not nearly as knowledgeable on all aspects of weapons, because honestly I'm just getting into it, yet I will gladly voice my opinion on what I have bought and added to my collection and my weapons.

Everyone has differences, and noone will see eye-to-eye on everything, just remember; "To each his own."

DZ

Ultimate Member
    Oct 9, 2005
    Mount Airy, MD
    The point of the other umpteen replies is that in your 75 posts youve managed to nearly wear out your welcome. No one appreciates snobbish behavior, it helps nothing and isnt welcome.

shadow116

2nd Class Citizen
    Feb 28, 2008
    Emmitsburg
    What in the world would anyone outside of law enforcement or the military use this junk for?

They are not hunting guns or target guns.

As one of the ones who did not "get" your post as you put it. I guess I am one who missed all of your points, because I was blinded by someone here posting comments that I would expect from the Brady Campaign or other anti-personal freedom group.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom