• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lkenefic

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    Hello everyone... looking down the road, I was contemplating my next potential build. I know... even though this probably won't happen for a while, I was thinking about slowly accumulating parts, much like I did for my most recent build. I've posted a picture of "the family". Currently, I still have the Colt Sporter Match HBAR I bought in 1991 prior to the first ban. I've used this for Highpower comps at Phoenix R&G back in the day. The next is the YHM Lower I bought before the most recent ban. It has a 16 inch barrel, Troy quadrail, and I just need to mount the sights. The last is a Smith and Wesson MP15-22 that I purchased a while back... much fun.

So, for my next build... (after I get an M1 from CMP) I was thinking an SBR or something chambered in something other than 5.56. Or, I could go the other way and think varmint rifle with a bull barrel and scope... thoughts and suggestions welcome.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    6.8 spcII. Not as controllable as 5.56 or .300 blk, but there are many better defensive loads for it than for .300, it shoots much flatter than 300 and carries more energy than .300. Only hitch is getting mags for it.

...here's a good place to start...
    http://www.ar15performance.com/inc/sdetail/11562/14400

http://www.ar15.com/ammo/project/Self_Defense_Ammo_FAQ/DocGKRData/6.8v300BLK.htm
    ...dat 90 gr gold dot...

...or you could make it easy and just buy an upper with an excellent FN barrel already put together.
    http://palmettostatearmory.com/inde...ength-ss-upper-no-bcg-or-charging-handle.html
    http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/6-8-chrome-blemished-bolt-carrier-group.html

lkenefic

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    Thanks for the alternative caliber suggestions. What barrel length? I figured since I already have a 16 inch 5.56, that I'd go for something either much shorter... SBR or pistol... or go the opposite direction... benchrest/varmint and a 24 inch barrel.

Also... if I go the SBR route, I know that I would need to submit ATF paperwork and the $200 transfer tax, but would I also need a separate fee and paperwork if it was also suppressed? Again, thanks in advance...

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Also... if I go the SBR route, I know that I would need to submit ATF paperwork and the $200 transfer tax, but would I also need a separate fee and paperwork if it was also suppressed? Again, thanks in advance...

I asked this earlier, yes, you need a separate stamp for the suppressor.

Augie

Ultimate Member
    Sep 30, 2007
    Central MD
    If you are doing a lot of target shooting I would go with a Varmint build.

Attachments

• IMG_2273.jpg
      IMG_2273.jpg
      74.6 KB · Views: 257

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    Thanks for the alternative caliber suggestions. What barrel length? I figured since I already have a 16 inch 5.56, that I'd go for something either much shorter... SBR or pistol... or go the opposite direction... benchrest/varmint and a 24 inch barrel.

Yes, one stamp for the gun and another for the suppressor. Another option is an integrally suppressed barrel. It would be just one stamp.

How about a 9mm or 22lr integrally suppressed build?

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    OP, looks like you need something short in that collection.

Just got my 300 AAC barrel yesterday. Ready to start my ''eastern Fredric'' AR pistol build.
    !0.5'' Rainier Super Match with a SLR 7 GB on a R. River upper.
    By next year, it will be suppressed.

lkenefic

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    Thanks everyone... to those going 300 BLK, are you doing a suppressed rifle? If so, what barrel length and gas system? From what I've read, it looks like there are significant reliability issues in unsuppressed rifles shooting either subsonic 220+ gr bullets, or in lighter bullets (hyper sonic) without tweaking the gas system. It looks like the cartridge was designed to be run suppressed using subsonic 220+ gr projectiles...

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom