• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wklohr

Stand Ye Steady!
    Jul 9, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    My thought regarding voting, being a Republican in the state of Maryland, is that while most of the time my vote is going to be mostly wasted, I still put in the effort just in case. Also, if you don't exercise your right to vote, IMO you really shouldn't complain when things don't work out like you want because you aren't doing anything to actively try to stop it.

I work with the Boy Scouts and I cant look my scouts in the eye and ask them to be engaged, citizen leaders if I am unwilling to walk the talk. Rights are responsibilities not privileges.

safecracker

Unrepentant Sinner
    Feb 26, 2009
    Quote from the Governor pasted here from article... link provided...

“We’re calling people together for a rally in Annapolis this Friday for sensible gun safety legislation,” he said. “It’s going OK, but it doesn’t happen by itself. Whereas the NRA is a group that’s networked and now hyper-networked with the Internet, and was able to generate a giant crowd … They’re very effective with the small group of people who feel intensely about this.”

Read more: http://www.politico.com/story/2013/...rm-moment-has-passed-88199.html#ixzz2MCx3zspX

We must be sure to continue to show up in such "small groups" tomorrow!

O'Malley knows damn well we are not a small group. He is simply trying to minimize us to the media and his core constituency. He saw the crowds on Feb. 6, he got the true numbers from his staff, and he has been flooded with hundreds of thousands of phone calls, letters, faxes, and emails.

Acknowledement by him or the media that there are large numbers of pro-gun citizens would legitimize our position, which is the last thing he wants to do. Portraying us a small fringe group of NRA shills allows him to continue to manipulate the media and his supporters, and push his extremist agenda.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    I work with the Boy Scouts and I cant look my scouts in the eye and ask them to be engaged, citizen leaders if I am unwilling to walk the talk. Rights are responsibilities not privileges.
    Exactly - it's our civic responsibility.

By the way, wklohr, I like your avatar for your profile image - it's pretty appropriate all things considered.

ShallNotInfringe

Lil Firecracker
    Feb 17, 2013
    My thought regarding voting, being a Republican in the state of Maryland, is that while most of the time my vote is going to be mostly wasted, I still put in the effort just in case. Also, if you don't exercise your right to vote, IMO you really shouldn't complain when things don't work out like you want because you aren't doing anything to actively try to stop it.

Register to vote here:

https://voterservices.elections.state.md.us/OnlineVoterRegistration

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    I got a postcard from the NRA yesterday, and it stated that there was not going to be a pro-firearm rally on March 1. They were claiming that they did not want to add to the apparent number of anti-firearm protesters that will be on Lawyer's Mall. Anyone else get this?

Correct DO NOT GO TO LAWYERS MALL tomorrow ... go to the other (north) side entrance of the House building closer to Rowe Blvd.

Go to the HEARINGS inside the building, not the anti-gun rally outside.

Bikebreath

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 30, 2009
    in the bowels of Baltimore
    Exactly - it's our civic responsibility.

By the way, wklohr, I like your avatar for your profile image - it's pretty appropriate all things considered.

Yes, a Hoplite...see that name to your left and Wiki's statement below, (bold by me)...

A hoplite was primarily a free citizen who was usually individually responsible for procuring his armour and weapon. In most Greek city-states, citizens received at least basic military training, serving in the standing army for a certain amount of time. They were expected to take part in any military campaign when they would be called for duty. The Lacedaemonian citizens (Sparta) were renowned for their lifelong combat training and almost mythical military prowess, while their greatest adversaries, the Athenians, were exempted from service only after the 60th year of their lives.

ShallNotInfringe

Lil Firecracker
    Feb 17, 2013
    That isn't directed at me is it? The point I was making in my post was that I am registered and I do vote, regardless of the fact that I know that my voting voice will not be heard because it will be drowned out by the masses who are asses.

Not at all. Just trying to plaster it around to get folks to register. All the phone calls/emails are nullified if you are NOT registered to vote, per word on the floor today. Heck, it's so easy to do. Shouldn't complain on a soap box if you don't use the ballot box.

JasonB

Ultimate Member
    Sep 4, 2012
    Belcamp
    I got a postcard from the NRA yesterday, and it stated that there was not going to be a pro-firearm rally on March 1. They were claiming that they did not want to add to the apparent number of anti-firearm protesters that will be on Lawyer's Mall. Anyone else get this?

This could hurt our numbers if people think they are supposed to stay home. I wonder if the NRA cleared this mailing with MSI?

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    Yes, a Hoplite...see that name to your left and Wiki's statement below, (bold by me)...

A hoplite was primarily a free citizen who was usually individually responsible for procuring his armour and weapon. In most Greek city-states, citizens received at least basic military training, serving in the standing army for a certain amount of time. They were expected to take part in any military campaign when they would be called for duty. The Lacedaemonian citizens (Sparta) were renowned for their lifelong combat training and almost mythical military prowess, while their greatest adversaries, the Athenians, were exempted from service only after the 60th year of their lives.
    I was referring to the fact that it's a statue of Leonidas at the memorial at Thermopylae - the few against the many.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    So basically the Governor thinks he represents dead people and illegal aliens who are registered to vote but not those who have been disenfranchised by his and his predecessors crappy Gerrymandering.

Thanks MOM you've decided for me that I'm a Democrat next primary when you're Billary's running mate.

6-Pack

NRA Life Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    Carroll Co.
    Time for us to boot up voter registration ... our voices carry more weight in Annapolis when we are registered voters

MDS needs to start a voter registration campaign to change noise into "the voice of the people" - in the only flavor politicians understand - registered voters!

Registered DEMOCRATS is what are needed. I figured that if today I had to grab my ankles once for listening to SB 281, I migh as well do it a second time and switch to democrat.

Hey, MOM looks like I can vote in the primaries now :) wasn't it Frosh he wants as AG and Brown for governor?

Brooklyn

I stand with John Locke.
    Jan 20, 2013
    Plan D? Not worth the hassle.
    Actually, it probably is a relatively small group who feels strongly about this. Of course, that doesn't make the Constitution any less valid

I just hate that NRA gets ALL the credit ALL the time.

No you missed it.. he was calling us mindless robots and his small group passionate and knowlegable

He is not expecting a large showing but trying to say that hid group is real and our not.

As far ac NRA goes that's just blameing others for his failure

He sounds like he is loosing.. only the press will fall for that.

Its all noise anyway..

Knuckle66

One of the 365
    Mar 11, 2012
    Hagerstown
    No. There is supposedly a large number of people e-mailing and calling their legislators who are not registered voters. :sad20:

I can't understand it either. I begged my friends in PA to register to vote back in November. Only after the election did they register. I don't understand what it takes to get people motivated anymore. You would think people would be better informed than they are. :banghead:

6-Pack

NRA Life Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    Carroll Co.
    If people seriously don't vote (which I still find hard to imagine), they need to STFU and stop complaining. I've voted in every election since I was 18. I remember I voted in a local election with the sole intention of having one candidate defeated. I told a few buddies why I thought he should be defeated and encouraged them to vote. He lost by 3 votes - made my day!!

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    It's the media sound bite version of the Big Lie. Say it often enough, drown out any protest, and eventually it will be accepted as the truth.

But O'Malley knows how many people were there. I can imagine the feeling he and the Frosh Faction must have had when they saw the crowds; I can imagine it, and it feels real fine.

They're putting a good face on it, in the hope of demoralising us, playing power games in the Senate by summarily killing amendments and ramming that red-headed stepchild of a bill down our throats, but make no mistake: at this point, they know that this fight may have a direct impact on their political survival.

If they lose this, they will not recover. MOM will not go on to national office; the Frosh Followers are risking their political future. They're pulling out all the stops, and fighting for their political lives.

They have advantages: the legislature is their stomping ground, they know the rules, both written and unwritten; they have financing ond organisation behind them, including the staff that we pay for.

But we have momentum, and numbers. When MOM sees 4000 people out to trash his bill, he doesn't see 40,000 voters; he knows it's a lot closer to 400,000. No one, NO ONE in MD govt has ever seen a turnout as large as they saw on Feb 6, and they know what it means. If they don't put down this insurrection now, they're toast.

Just keep rolling over them, the human wave approach. They'll win this round, and hope that it will let the air out of our tires, and we'll go home and shut up.

DON'T LET IT HAPPEN!

Keep coming, never let up. For those who haven't registered to vote (and I understand there's a lot of you) just do it. You can register on line, and if you register as a Democrat, you can dump some of these losers in the primaries. That WILL get their attention.

Meanwhile, expect that this fight will go on to the courts. This is the first part of round one, in a fight that can have only one winning side. They're fighting for their political survival; we're fighting for our childrens' freedom, and our own.

justjcarr

Nov 19, 2012
    Bel Air, MD
    NRA is merely a target for the gun grabbers. They paint them as the big bully that is lobbying against them. Never mind other lobbying organizations that are for their numerous social policies but all of a sudden they have to fight one and they're all "oh protect us from this juggernaut who just wants to slaughter children"

To quote the great Sam Axe...
    They're a bunch of bitchy little girls.
    burn-notice-bruce-campbell-sam-axe-movie.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davidbanner

Latest threads

Top Bottom