• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    -There are times when I struggle over whether it's prudent to pursue an item over condition. Usually it's not that hard to walk away from a firearm that has been badly humped. This time it was not so cut and dry.
    -The item in question was a badly buffed and reblued but extremely rare Japanese purchase FN 1910 with a lanyard ring installed by a Japanese arsenal. I already have one in the collection what was rare enough to be listed in a prominent FN collector's reference work. One of only three I had ever seen in 40 years (Collectors Firearms sold one for $1500 a while ago). So when this one pop'd up it got bookmarked. As the auction closing approached bidding was weak, for obvious reasons. I doubt anyone else knew just how rare it was or decided the rough refinish was a deal breaker.
    -So with less than an hour to go I decided to roll the dice as I had horded a spare Japanese holster in hopes of finding another FN. Luckily I didn't pay much for it in the end because it was even worse than the dark photos showed. Made me wonder what this puppy looked like before someone decided it needed a new finish. Two of the other 1910s I've seen with lanyard rings, including mine, obviously spent lots of time in a jungle with rough finishes. So not exactly shocked over the (wrong) decision to rework it. But at least I have another rig that might be decent trading fodder down the road (it's mechanically VG, wouldn't be scared to shoot it).

Attachments

• IMGP0212.JPG
      IMGP0212.JPG
      192.2 KB · Views: 57
    • IMGP0213.JPG
      IMGP0213.JPG
      347.5 KB · Views: 54
    • IMGP0214.JPG
      IMGP0214.JPG
      229.9 KB · Views: 52
    • IMGP0216.JPG
      IMGP0216.JPG
      237.3 KB · Views: 54
    • IMGP0217.JPG
      IMGP0217.JPG
      209.6 KB · Views: 50
    • IMGP0218.JPG
      IMGP0218.JPG
      224.4 KB · Views: 54

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    Awesome! Shame about the refinish, but at least it doesn’t look obscenely bad.
    Oh trust me, the photos hide the worst of it. Someone really got aggressive with the front grip strap. Very wavy. But at least the salt bluing turned out fantastic. A very dark blue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom