• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville
    How much to repair it? Do they flat rate it?

I have a Super Professional that only runs for an hour or so on a full wind.

https://www.calibre11.com/tag-heuer-super-professional/

Most Tag's, especially ones that are a few years old and older have base ETA 28xx movements in them. Quality movements with easily sourced parts and generally serviceable by any competent watch repair shop.

But when you wait for issues like that to arise, though, repair costs typically go up, and sometimes by considerable amounts.

Mechanical watches should ideally be serviced every 4-5 years, and never more than 8 years, regardless of how frequently you wore it. Seals dry up and the synthetic lubrication breaks down...soon after it's metal on metal contact for the geared surfaces. The ball bearings in the self-winding rotor also will go bad.

I know we all know "that guy" that's got a 20 year old Rolex that hasn't seen service... but i'd bet my bottom $ it runs like crap. I also hope they don't swim with it.

KIBarrister

Opinionated Libertarian
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 10, 2013
    Kent Island/Centreville
    How much to repair it? Do they flat rate it?

I have a Super Professional that only runs for an hour or so on a full wind.

https://www.calibre11.com/tag-heuer-super-professional/

It was ~480. I dropped it at Jared and had them send it to Tag for me, had it back just under a month. It looked like it was a flat rate because there was any itemized costs; just what they did and total cost at the bottom.

adit

ReMember
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 20, 2013
    DE
    Most Tag's, especially ones that are a few years old and older have base ETA 28xx movements in them. Quality movements with easily sourced parts and generally serviceable by any competent watch repair shop.

But when you wait for issues like that to arise, though, repair costs typically go up, and sometimes by considerable amounts.

Mechanical watches should ideally be serviced every 4-5 years, and never more than 8 years, regardless of how frequently you wore it. Seals dry up and the synthetic lubrication breaks down...soon after it's metal on metal contact for the geared surfaces. The ball bearings in the self-winding rotor also will go bad.

I know we all know "that guy" that's got a 20 year old Rolex that hasn't seen service... but i'd bet my bottom $ it runs like crap. I also hope they don't swim with it.

I got it in the 93-94 time frame and haven't worn it since well before 2000. I came across it a few years ago in storage so it was then "on the list" of things to do. You know how that works out.

It was ~480. I dropped it at Jared and had them send it to Tag for me, had it back just under a month. It looked like it was a flat rate because there was any itemized costs; just what they did and total cost at the bottom.

Thanks for the info.

Ammo Jon

Ultimate Member
    Mar 3, 2008
    My first post to this thread.

Breitling Avenger Hurricane

Attachments

• 66DFB7E5-78DE-4FFD-8EE5-569F62784B92.jpg
      66DFB7E5-78DE-4FFD-8EE5-569F62784B92.jpg
      71.1 KB · Views: 207

Harrys

Short Round
    Jul 12, 2014
    SOMD
    All 4 are mechanical, the SEIKOS are self winding and the SEIKO divers watch is over 40 years old. I dove with it for many years and still keeps perfect time.

Attachments

• Watches.jpg
      Watches.jpg
      209.8 KB · Views: 183

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads