• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • INMY01TA

Ultimate Member
    Dec 29, 2008
    National studies suggest the trend is driven not by first-time gun buyers but by gun owners like Schulte adding to their collections. While gun sales have been on the rise over the past few decades, the proportion of households with guns has been on the decline, said Daniel Webster, director of the Johns Hopkins Center for Gun Policy and Research.

Sounds like BS (bull shit not Baltimore Sun, ehh, one in the same I guess) to me.

ibanez320dx

New guy.
    Jun 2, 2013
    Rosedale
    I know a few people that just recently got into firearms including myself. I've been Having fun with friends guns for years and figured its time i started my own collection. Them thinking that only diehards are buying weapons is ridiculous.

INMY01TA

Ultimate Member
    Dec 29, 2008
    They also fail to mention that the MSP are not needed if the dealers were allowed to do a NICS check themselves.

Wendigo

Hungry
    Mar 31, 2013
    Reisterstown
    "If you're legal and honest about it, you shouldn't mind having to wait."-Dipshit

Yeah, what's wrong with you all?:sad20:

I wonder how many people picking up guns they had to interview to get that quote?(probly not as many as I would hope, this being Maryland and all..)

GHETTO BLASTER

May 27, 2013
    Of course the Bodymore Sun doesn't want us to have guns.The less we can defend ourselves the easier it is for them to get juicy stories and thrive on the downward spiral of this turd of a state every news organization in this country is hoping Nobama goes gun grabbing so they have something to write about other than dog shows and BS they made up for ratings.

win296

Jun 15, 2012
    Baltimore
    The customer base for the BS, like most newspapers, is aging. Young people do not read the BS. We should ignore them. They will be gone soon enough.

L0gic

Ultimate Member
    Mar 2, 2013
    I think its called yellow journalism. If this simple line:
    At any given time, 17 to 29 troopers are consulting the required 16 databases to see if an applicant should be denied

Had read like this instead, it would have been a much bigger eye opener
    At any given time, 17 to 29 troopers are consulting the required 16 databases to see if an applicant should be denied; information Maryland has refused to enter in to the nationwide NICS Database for access by other states. This omission could potentially allow for a denied person to move to another state and obtain a firearm.
    You Go Marylandistan! Legalizing weed, dumping the death penalty and creating a bigass loophole to keep guns in the hands of criminals. God forbid they actually get caught then you just slap them on the wrist and say "Don't forget to vote!":mad54:

ibang1

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2011
    Perry Hall
    " as officials have tripled the staff to check applications, with troopers working 21 hours a day, seven days a week. At any given time, 17 to 29 troopers are consulting the required 16 databases to see if an applicant should be denied."

17 to 29 troopers are really working now? Saturday and Sunday too? Can we call and verify someone from the office will pick up the phone?

So bad guys running around and he have all these troopers working on gun applications? Whats really wrong with this picture? Shouldn't someone be looking for some bad guys?

and last.

16 DATABASE? WTF! How about naming all 16 database! I'm guessing two now.

1. NICS
    2. MD MVA ??

Still laughing at 17 to 29 troopers sitting behind a computer screen and checking all 16 database.

frogman68

товарищ плачевная
    Apr 7, 2013
    best part (can't copy and paste the section)

Dealers are responsible if a gun is released to a prohibited person

Not if the follow the law , some No's and fence sitters (on the On Time release) will be no Solid No's with that line

frdfandc

Fish It
    Aug 27, 2011
    Elkton, MD
    16 DATABASE? WTF! How about naming all 16 database! I'm guessing two now.

1. NICS
    2. MD MVA ??

Still laughing at 17 to 29 troopers sitting behind a computer screen and checking all 16 database.

1. Department of Mental Health and Hygene (DHMH)

2. National Instant Check System (NICS) - Pursuant to Federal law, NICS will only be queried for dealer sales of regulated firearms

3. National Crime Information Center (NCIC) Interstate Identification Index

4. NCIC Protection Order File

5. NCIC warrant check

6. NCIC stolen firearm check

7. Maryland Interagency Law Enforcement System (MILES) Civil Warrant/Order File

8. Maryland Criminal Justice Information System (CJIS) - Identification Index System

9. Maryland Computerized Criminal History (CCH) On-Line

10. Maryland Motor Vehicle Administration (MVA)

11. Maryland Automated Firearms Services System (MAFSS)

12. Judicial Information System District Court of Maryland Civil System Inquiry and Update Menu

13. Judicial Information System District Court of Maryland Criminal System Inquiry

14. Judicial Information System District Court of Maryland Warrant System Menu

15. Maryland Division of Department of Parole and Probation

16. Maryland Department of Juvenile Services (ASSIST) database

3 of these are already checked by NICS.

The National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS) is administered by the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI). A NICS check includes a check of three databases maintained by the FBI, including the—

1. Interstate Identification Index (III), a database of criminal history record information
    2. National Crime Information Center (NCIC), which includes information on persons subject to civil protection orders and arrest warrants
    3. NICS Index, which includes the information contributed by federal and state agencies identifying persons prohibited from possessing firearms who are not included in the III or NCIC, such as persons with a prohibiting mental health history or who are illegal or unlawful aliens.

ibang1

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2011
    Perry Hall
    1. Department of Mental Health and Hygene (DHMH)

2. National Instant Check System (NICS) - Pursuant to Federal law, NICS will only be queried for dealer sales of regulated firearms

3. National Crime Information Center (NCIC) Interstate Identification Index

4. NCIC Protection Order File

5. NCIC warrant check

6. NCIC stolen firearm check

7. Maryland Interagency Law Enforcement System (MILES) Civil Warrant/Order File

8. Maryland Criminal Justice Information System (CJIS) - Identification Index System

9. Maryland Computerized Criminal History (CCH) On-Line

10. Maryland Motor Vehicle Administration (MVA)

11. Maryland Automated Firearms Services System (MAFSS)

12. Judicial Information System District Court of Maryland Civil System Inquiry and Update Menu

13. Judicial Information System District Court of Maryland Criminal System Inquiry

14. Judicial Information System District Court of Maryland Warrant System Menu

15. Maryland Division of Department of Parole and Probation

16. Maryland Department of Juvenile Services (ASSIST) database

3 of these are already checked by NICS.

The National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS) is administered by the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI). A NICS check includes a check of three databases maintained by the FBI, including the—

1. Interstate Identification Index (III), a database of criminal history record information
    2. National Crime Information Center (NCIC), which includes information on persons subject to civil protection orders and arrest warrants
    3. NICS Index, which includes the information contributed by federal and state agencies identifying persons prohibited from possessing firearms who are not included in the III or NCIC, such as persons with a prohibiting mental health history or who are illegal or unlawful aliens.

With a check like that MD should be the poster child for all states to follow. I see couple of redundancy or grouping from the same agency and I'm pretty sure these checks would take only a few minutes.

Now, the first one has me puzzled. How can they do a check with HIPPA in place? I don't remember signing any documents for medical records.

Great job on the list.

Wendigo

Hungry
    Mar 31, 2013
    Reisterstown
    Now, the first one has me puzzled. How can they do a check with HIPPA in place? I don't remember signing any documents for medical records.

Can't remember offhand what it's called, but you do sign a release form so that MSP can look through your mental health records(assuming you have any:rolleyes:) when you buy any regulated firearm.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    I know a few people that just recently got into firearms including myself. I've been Having fun with friends guns for years and figured its time i started my own collection. Them thinking that only diehards are buying weapons is ridiculous.

It is actually the exact opposite. I was shocked by a friend/client of mine yesterday. It appears he read some of my posts on here and asked me what guns I had decided on. I was pretty much blindsided because I never figured him for a gun owner. Told me he has always been interested, but didn't buy one until November and then ratcheted things up here in 2013.

My sisters have never bought a firearm and now they want one. My dad never wanted a handgun until now.

Yeah, it definitely is not just the diehards that are causing this run on guns in Maryland.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom