• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • shooter682

Jun 2, 2013
    Lexington Park MD
    I just reviewed the Banned list of firearms here in MD and stumbled upon this

"It has been determined the Beretta ARX 100 is not a “copy” of an enumerated banned assault weapon but is banned, as it is considered a “Copycat” weapon."

That was as of 7/7/15. Wasn't the FSA2013 written so that Berretta could manufacture this specific rifle ie 29" OAL instead of the 30" of the CA law that this mess is modeled after. I think the ban is due to Berretta planning to leave MD.

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    Detachable magazine, folding stock, and flash hider are what I believe make it a copycat. I think with a brake instead of a flash hider it would be okay. I am not a lawyer.

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    http://wiki.marylandshallissue.org/index.php?title=Maryland_Regulated_Firearms

Q: What are the evil features for semi-auto centerfire rifles that take detachable mags?

A: The list is:

Folding stock
    Grenade or flare launcher
    Flash hider
    THE ABILITY TO ACCEPT A DETACHABLE MAG IS NOT COUNTED AS AN EVIL FEATURE.

Q: How do you measure OAL for rifles for the purpose of the OAL < 29" test?

A: This is not spelled out by the law. Currently, the MSP seems to be using the same definition as the BATFE: stock unfolded and fully extended. Evidence of this can be found from the MSP not classifying rifles with a folded length of < 26" as "MD SBRs". Examples of such rifles would be the folding stock Vz-58 and AMD-65. It is difficult to imagine this standard changing, as it would inadvertently criminalize the ownership of hundreds of already-possessed firearms with no warning. The MSP has been telling people that the BATFE standards are in play for OAL; therefore, muzzle devices must be permanently attached to count.

The folding stock AND the flash hider make it banned as is. The ARX is nearly 36" long, so OAL isn't the problem.

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    So, if I bought one legally with a brake, and switched to a flash hider myself, is that a problem? Does the law say "sell" or "possess" ?

2Asales&Supplies

, , Up In Arms Since 2009
    Industry Partner
    Aug 5, 2009
    So, if I bought one legally with a brake, and switched to a flash hider myself, is that a problem? Does the law say "sell" or "possess" ?

You would be manufacturing a banned configuration firearm. This would not be a good idea.

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    Yea, if you did that in-state, that would be true. But what if you did that out of state? The "doing" would not be illegal, but I guess you just wouldn't be allowed to bring it back.

Yup. Then you'd be in possession of an "assault weapon".

Feb 28, 2013
    Why would a rifle that's perfectly legal to sell without a flash suppressor appear on "the list"?

This is all shades of stupid. :sad20:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom