• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Enzo_Guy

Jul 13, 2011
    Houston, TX
    It's been a while since I bought handgun ammo so once I got done picking my jaw up off the floor from the empty shelves today, I decided I should say a big thank you to the ammo hoarding geniuses. I say geniuses because they have obviously formulated a master plan that somehow made the ammo companies ship mass quantities of anything they had, which may or may not have been a caliber people actually want to buy! Somehow one of my auxiliary ammo suppliers not only had the enormously oddball caliber I was looking for, which a single box on a shelf is rare enough to find by itself and I've never found more than 50 cartridges in a single day of calling/searching, but somehow they had a stockpile of my goofy bullets collecting dust in a corner!

I'm not naming the suppler as I may go back for the rest if the funds allow, but I left with not the one box I normally think I've hit the lottery to find but THREE BOXES of .32 S&W revolver ammo for $26 per box! I've happily paid $45 for the same box on most occasions (and once again I've never had more than 50 cartridges in my possession at any on time)! Thanks ammo hoarders, because of you I have a seemingly endless supply of useless ammo to go in a 100-year-old Colt revolver at almost half price!

Guess who has two thumbs and is about to throw some ancient, underpowered, tiny lead round nose slugs down range tomorrow? This guy and his nickel Colt Police Positive!
    :party29:

(and the single-action .22LR/mag is collecting dust for obvious reasons, unless of course I decide to burn some of the 100-count boxes of CCI .22LR and magnum ammo I have leftover from 2011 rather than selling them for ridiculous profit)

Gmercury2000

Ultimate Member
    Feb 26, 2013
    Gambrills
    I know what you are referring to! I was actually able to pick up a couple boxes of it myself last week! I was amazed after months of searching they actually had it in stock!

Enzo_Guy

Jul 13, 2011
    Houston, TX
    I know what you are referring to! I was actually able to pick up a couple boxes of it myself last week! I was amazed after months of searching they actually had it in stock!

I'm getting those other 7 boxes (yes I said SEVEN BOXES LEFT AFTER THE THREE I BOUGHT) tomorrow I think, yeah they're .32 S&W shorts and not the "high-powered" long cartridges (because clearly that paper target could attack at any time so we need the +P+ super-magnum rounds if we hope to do any damage to it;)) but I'm not whining since they're less than almost $1 a shot!

If I don't buy all of them I'll PM you the location. Either that or I'd be willing to trade some factory .32 S&W for .32-caliber reloading supplies to repack some of the hundreds of empty casings I have laying around haha!:D

EDIT: It's a shame the waiting periods are so long, I've been wanting a .45LC single-action for a while now and for some reason every place I go is still swimming in Long Colt cartridges. Granted they're $40 per box of 50 but at least no one else seems to want them and that's still freakin' cheaper than .32 small and expensive!
    All my shooter friends hate me currently, they laugh about my "antique pea-shooters" all day but who has the last laugh now? Oh, I'm sorry, you didn't find 500 rounds on the shelf at half the usual price with the manager willing to waive the three-box-per-customer limit just because you actually want them? Must suck to be named Chad with an empty Glock .40 right now.
    Hahaha, I wonder if anybody even still remembers that old joke.

CAS_Shooter

Jan 24, 2012
    I just bought two boxes of Winchester 22LR 36GR HP / 333 from Cabelas for 6.5 cents a round, including shipping. Sometimes the deals pop up.

Gmercury2000

Ultimate Member
    Feb 26, 2013
    Gambrills
    I'm getting those other 7 boxes (yes I said SEVEN BOXES LEFT AFTER THE THREE I BOUGHT) tomorrow I think, yeah they're .32 S&W shorts and not the "high-powered" long cartridges (because clearly that paper target could attack at any time so we need the +P+ super-magnum rounds if we hope to do any damage to it;)) but I'm not whining since they're less than almost $1 a shot!

If I don't buy all of them I'll PM you the location. Either that or I'd be willing to trade some factory .32 S&W for .32-caliber reloading supplies to repack some of the hundreds of empty casings I have laying around haha!:D

EDIT: It's a shame the waiting periods are so long, I've been wanting a .45LC single-action for a while now and for some reason every place I go is still swimming in Long Colt cartridges. Granted they're $40 per box of 50 but at least no one else seems to want them and that's still freakin' cheaper than .32 small and expensive!

I got what I needed! Buy away. Lol I know where they are at. But like I said I got what I needed! Thanks anyways! I had seen the shorts but I wasn't spending 30+ another 15 for shipping. Like I said I couldn't believe I saw them sitting there of all odd ball sizes. I've found plenty of 32 auto and 32 long in my travels.

Enzo_Guy

Jul 13, 2011
    Houston, TX
    I just bought two boxes of Winchester 22LR 36GR HP / 333 from Cabelas for 6.5 cents a round, including shipping. Sometimes the deals pop up.

Yeah and sometimes I get 50% off on a pair of jeans. Until today, I was unaware that deals existed on .32 S&W.

The .32 S&W is like a '64 Pontiac GTO: there are others similar to it but there's no replacement for the one-year style, and when you find someone selling it then price is no object because you want that one and nothing else will do. It's an expensive taste but, just like that '64 GTO, there is no substitute and you're essentially searching for a needle in a haystack. When you show up asking for .32 Smith and Wesson and the clerk puts a box on the counter, your initial response is, "Great, ring me up." Typically he asks if you want to know the price first, but the best response (as any seasoned .32 S&W shooter knows) is a smiling, "Nope, you're the only guys who have it and I don't want to know how much you're overcharging me."

Now imagine you showed up and the seller of that '64 GTO told you today it's half price! Oh, and he has 9 more of the same car for half the normal price in his barn!:D

Jim Sr

R.I.P.
    Jun 18, 2005
    Annapolis MD
    It's been a while since I bought handgun ammo so once I got done picking my jaw up off the floor from the empty shelves today, I decided I should say a big thank you to the ammo hoarding geniuses. I say geniuses because they have obviously formulated a master plan that somehow made the ammo companies ship mass quantities of anything they had, which may or may not have been a caliber people actually want to buy! Somehow one of my auxiliary ammo suppliers not only had the enormously oddball caliber I was looking for, which a single box on a shelf is rare enough to find by itself and I've never found more than 50 cartridges in a single day of calling/searching, but somehow they had a stockpile of my goofy bullets collecting dust in a corner!

I'm not naming the suppler as I may go back for the rest if the funds allow, but I left with not the one box I normally think I've hit the lottery to find but THREE BOXES of .32 S&W revolver ammo for $26 per box! I've happily paid $45 for the same box on most occasions (and once again I've never had more than 50 cartridges in my possession at any on time)! Thanks ammo hoarders, because of you I have a seemingly endless supply of useless ammo to go in a 100-year-old Colt revolver at almost half price!

Guess who has two thumbs and is about to throw some ancient, underpowered, tiny lead round nose slugs down range tomorrow? This guy and his nickel Colt Police Positive!

(and the single-action .22LR/mag is collecting dust for obvious reasons, unless of course I decide to burn some of the 100-count boxes of CCI .22LR and magnum ammo I have leftover from 2011 rather than selling them for ridiculous profit)
    I roll my own!
    No hoarding by me. :D :thumbsup:

Mossyoak

Never enough
    Jan 5, 2009
    Ceciltucky
    Ammo manufacturers are shipping anything they may have so odd-ball ammo is showing up at stores that we typically don't find in the stores.

llkoolkeg

Hairy Flaccid Member
    I don't mind hoarders as much as resellers, who seem to not have jobs or lives that require them to be anywhere particular at around 9am/9pm, when Wally World Vesties unpack their sparse ammo shipments.

This is what I get for buying almost exclusively military calibers instead of oddball or specialty ones in the mistaken notion that they would forever be more plentiful and inexpensive. I guess the joke is now on me.

lasher9999

May 31, 2010
    Jacksonville, md

wow. You are just discovering the ammo shortage now? You must live under a rock!

You know the definition of hoarders? Hoarders are the people who were smarter than you and saw the handwriting on the wall!

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    I keep a personally set minimum of ammo for my shooting calibers at all times. If that makes me a hoarder, so be it. I kept the same amounts on hand before the shortage so I'm not hoarding anything. I buy what I can afford.

Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010
    wow. You are just discovering the ammo shortage now? You must live under a rock!

You know the definition of hoarders? Hoarders are the people who were smarter than you and saw the handwriting on the wall!

:thumbsup::thumbsup: BTW, the show in Timonium has ammo in just about every caliber. Just prepare for the sticker shock. More expensive than this past Lancaster show for sure!

As to the odd calibers, I suspect the dealers, having little inventory, are putting anything they can find in storage on the shelves IMHO.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA

^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    This

Stocking up on Pmags too. Guess that makes me a mag hoarder as well.

Enzo_Guy

Jul 13, 2011
    Houston, TX
    Until they need that shoulder surgery. Does anyone "regularly" shoot 7mm mag? :D

Ironically enough, I shot 7mm magnum for the first time ever today....:sad20:

The .303 Enfield actually did more damage, although that was from the ground suddenly shifting below my foot as I pulled the trigger, of course causing the stock to slip off my shoulder just in time for the recoil to gladly put it right back in between my shoulder and the socket.:tdown: For those who have never shot an Enfield carbine, it's roughly equivalent to a Mosin M44 with surplus ammo.

Calm down there sparky, technically I currently fall into the hoarder category as well because I bought as much .32 S&W as I could. Then again that had less to do with fear of not being able to get it and more to do with the excitement of actually being able to get it at all haha! This actually gives me an interesting idea. I could go to local pawn shops and find older guns (particularly revolvers in unobtanium calibers) for dirt cheap because everyone wants the AR/AK rifles and tactical semi-autos right now, I could easily stockpile wheelguns that take the ugly duckling ammo for cheap right now. Then the ammo buying spree has made a lot of off-beat shells more readily available (and sometimes cheaper), so I'd have no problem amassing a small stockpile of inexpensive guns that use the now nearly limitless shelf supplies of .38 Long Colt, .41 Magnum, .44-40, .32 Short Colt, .25ACP, and other such easily obtained calibers.;)

And my rock is quite comfortable actually, in this state it's the only place I can afford the rent!:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    incase

Latest threads

Top Bottom