Texas CCW non-resident: anyone get one lately?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • flyhimd

Aug 12, 2014
    I'm thinking this will be a path to carry in PA (my prime interest) since PA recognizes TX non-resident permits. Seems like it requires a trip down there in person (a good excuse to visit friends). Anyone ever go thru with a TX cert? Recommendations? I have UT and FL ccw but no good in PA anymore.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    I bet the PA AG has TX in her sights to cancel non resident permit reciprocity. That's a pretty expensive trip just to have her hose your plan.

Best of luck.

My .02.

Feb 28, 2013
    I bet the PA AG has TX in her sights to cancel non resident permit reciprocity. That's a pretty expensive trip just to have her hose your plan.

Best of luck.

My .02.

I kinda doubt that.

The ban states surrounding PA were the easy targets. The TX permit is more labor-intensive.

I think I'd rather wait for this woman to be shown the door before I make the trip to TX myself, especially since PA is still an open-carry state.

pilotguy

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2009
    Woodstock, MD
    I have one. You can do it in a two day trip. One to go for fingerprints and one for the class. Class includes live fire qual with pistol of your choice.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I looked at the San Antonio area, as I need very little excuse to go there, the Bass Pro does a class EVERY Sat and EVERY Sun. :)

Funny thing is, my UT permit is valid is TX, so I could carry to the carry class. :)

And maybe make a pass through Vegas to get an NV permit. :)

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    You can do the NV permit class in one day and then go over to Metro Fingerprint Section to do the app.

Let me know if you need an instructor. The guy I use will come to your hotel and drive you to his range for quals. Just did my renewal wqith him last September.

Gryphon

inveniam viam aut faciam
    Patriot Picket
    Mar 8, 2013
    That's my plan. I'll OC in PA. If someone has an issue, Ill tell them to contact the AG

I did it the weekend after she cancelled the reciprocity. No one said a word to me and I was in the Filthadelphia suburbs.

Boar13A

Nov 19, 2014
    Hello there, i am a TX resident living in MD due to army orders bringing me here. I have a TX CHL, i can confirm that this will pretty much get you the surrounding areas around MD to carry. My dad also just became a recent CHL instructor, PM me for info if youd like. The TX CHL has gotten alot easier from what i have heard, when i got mine like 7 years ago i had to do a 12 hours class and then range. I believe now it is only 4 hours.... Anyways you could always get the UTAH license which would allow you to have reciprocity it PA as of July 2014 i believe. You can do the Legal Heat i think its called they have had at arundell mills bass pro, and get the Utah license if that is an option. Just another way to go and save a trip to TX.

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    Hello there, i am a TX resident living in MD due to army orders bringing me here. I have a TX CHL, i can confirm that this will pretty much get you the surrounding areas around MD to carry. My dad also just became a recent CHL instructor, PM me for info if youd like. The TX CHL has gotten alot easier from what i have heard, when i got mine like 7 years ago i had to do a 12 hours class and then range. I believe now it is only 4 hours.... Anyways you could always get the UTAH license which would allow you to have reciprocity it PA as of July 2014 i believe. You can do the Legal Heat i think its called they have had at arundell mills bass pro, and get the Utah license if that is an option. Just another way to go and save a trip to TX.
    UT non-resident is no good in PA anymore.

gamer_jim

Podcaster
    Feb 12, 2008
    Hanover, PA
    Ya, me too. The whole reason I went through UT class was so I could carry in PA.

My brother in-law is stationed in TX. He leaves for overseas in February for 6 months. I think when he gets back wife and I are going to visit. If situation with PA doesn't change by then I will schedule a TX class in the same visit.

Feb 28, 2013
    I looked at the San Antonio area, as I need very little excuse to go there, the Bass Pro does a class EVERY Sat and EVERY Sun. :)

Funny thing is, my UT permit is valid is TX, so I could carry to the carry class. :)

And maybe make a pass through Vegas to get an NV permit. :)

In case anyone wasn't sure...

http://www.sanantonioconcealedhandgun.com/

You can do the NV permit class in one day and then go over to Metro Fingerprint Section to do the app.

Let me know if you need an instructor. The guy I use will come to your hotel and drive you to his range for quals. Just did my renewal wqith him last September.

I'll have to keep that in mind.:D

Now lemme ask you this. Besides PA, what states would you gain by having TX and NV?

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    If you're asking me, I didn't check. My reason for NV is I have several friends living there and go frequently to visit. I wanted to be able to CCW when I'm there.

press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV
    I kinda doubt that.

The ban states surrounding PA were the easy targets. The TX permit is more labor-intensive.

I think I'd rather wait for this woman to be shown the door before I make the trip to TX myself, especially since PA is still an open-carry state.

She basically cut off the mail order route for those behind the iron curtain. TX looks to be the only route for CCW for NJ,NY, and MD residents.

ryan_j

Ultimate Member
    Aug 6, 2013
    I have one but it's kind of expensive factoring in that you have to actually go to Texas to get it. I plan on becoming a TX resident anyway so I was there on other business.

You can pretty much bet that Kane will close that off too especially with Wolf as Governor.

But speaking of Texas I think their licensing scheme is a good one to follow. The class teaches safety and handling and also non violent conflict resolution. Gun buster signs have clear requirements and must be in big letters with specific wording and prominently posted in English and Spanish. The culture in Texas for me is just better than the north east IMO. Church on Sunday is packed and people are friendly.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013

COOL. I will keep this in mind.

gamer_jim

Podcaster
    Feb 12, 2008
    Hanover, PA
    Gun buster signs have clear requirements and must be in big letters with specific wording and prominently posted in English and Spanish.
    I know you are quoting the law and this isn't aimed at you. More of a general rant/discussion on these types of signs and laws.

I really have issue with this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luby's_shooting

Defenseless patrons at the restaurant were following the law by being unarmed while they were slaughtered by a madman.

I wonder what the repercussions would be for someone carrying and using their gun illegally to stop a shooting like this, either here in MD or in TX.

ryan_j

Ultimate Member
    Aug 6, 2013
    I know you are quoting the law and this isn't aimed at you. More of a general rant/discussion on these types of signs and laws.

I really have issue with this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luby's_shooting

Defenseless patrons at the restaurant were following the law by being unarmed while they were slaughtered by a madman.

I wonder what the repercussions would be for someone carrying and using their gun illegally to stop a shooting like this, either here in MD or in TX.

I agree. But you risk losing your CHL and your freedom. No guns no money is the best policy.

TxAggie

Ultimate Member
    Feb 25, 2012
    Anne Arundel County, MD

Well damn. Wish I would have thought about that, I just came back from a meeting in Vegas, I could've went down a day early and taken care of this.

Oh well, I need an excuse to see some friends in TX anyhow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom