• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Are we shooting B8s at 50 yds? How good does the trigger on an LCP need to be? What can't you do with it?
    Why doesn't everyone shoot a HiPoint? What does the H&K do that it can't?
    Why live with a crappy trigger with looooong pre-travel if you don't have to? It's a $40 upgrade. I don't eat many eggs, so I can afford it.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    There are actually a # of considerations that come up with little guns. Reloading them. Drawing them from a pocket (something that most ranges won't even let you do). Shooting them from a pocket (something people always talk about doing but never practice). What a REALISTIC expectation of capability is for such a gun in each person's hands in terms of splits, recoil control, and ballistics (in the case of Haggard, he even does ballistics testing in gel IN CLASS with these guns).

Kelly carried for years in true NPEs as a member of a true SMU. And Fredericksburg is not far from most of the population of Maryland.

^All of the above MIGHT be interesting to some here. Not to you? Fine. Move on. You don't have to take a dump on every comment I make here.

As the guy with all the "my buddies in the teams" connections, you should ask them if they're going to do the blunderbuss class, since I believe the history of that firearm is naval-based.
    I didn't know these classes were available. I'll have to take one. I have taken other classes from Mr Haggard and they were outstanding.

I have a LCP and a G42. The LCP is less fun to shoot but has been utterly reliable after I reworked a few things. It's also smaller and easier to carry than the G42.

I agree that the LCP is accurate enough for the intended use.

cmartin

Jun 11, 2009
    If you are not wise enough to Prove your pistol and ammo before trusting your life to it , perhaps you should reconsider carrying

hogarth

Ultimate Member
    Jun 13, 2009
    Why doesn't everyone shoot a HiPoint? What does the H&K do that it can't?
    Why live with a crappy trigger with looooong pre-travel if you don't have to? It's a $40 upgrade. I don't eat many eggs, so I can afford it.
    Well, changing things on a gun CAN/MAY introduce reliability issues. On a tiny gun, changes may have a bigger impact. Less wiggle room, figuratively speaking. I wasn't considering cost.

I asked what you can't do with it because I was just wondering if/how the stock trigger was holding you back. As in, can you currently not achieve a current standard that you think a new trigger would help you achieve?

If it's just the nuisance of pre-travel on a gun that, let's face it, is pretty much exclusively used by most as a defensive gun, I would not risk the potential reliability issues.

hogarth

Ultimate Member
    Jun 13, 2009
    I didn't know these classes were available. I'll have to take one. I have taken other classes from Mr Haggard and they were outstanding.

I have a LCP and a G42. The LCP is less fun to shoot but has been utterly reliable after I reworked a few things. It's also smaller and easier to carry than the G42.

I agree that the LCP is accurate enough for the intended use.
    Yes, they exist. Although apparently it's a shock to Blaster as well.

I attended a portion of Haggard's pocket guns presentation at the Rangemaster Tactical Conference in 2017. Couldn't do all of it because I was shooting the match for part of it. It was only a 2 or 4 hour block, but what I saw was excellent. I've done other classes with him and he's in my top 5 all time of instructors.

Huge fan of Kelly and may do his class this summer.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Well, changing things on a gun CAN/MAY introduce reliability issues. On a tiny gun, changes may have a bigger impact. Less wiggle room, figuratively speaking. I wasn't considering cost.

I asked what you can't do with it because I was just wondering if/how the stock trigger was holding you back. As in, can you currently not achieve a current standard that you think a new trigger would help you achieve?

If it's just the nuisance of pre-travel on a gun that, let's face it, is pretty much exclusively used by most as a defensive gun, I would not risk the potential reliability issues.
    I’d just like a better trigger. I tinker, and I’m fairly competent with triggers. The trigger on the LCP I is widely considered to suck. The size is great.

hogarth

Ultimate Member
    Jun 13, 2009
    Seriously? Are you 15?
    You literally have zero humor. Did you get bullied in school as a child? Watch a comedy, tell a few jokes, laugh at yourself. Smile. Be more person and not robot.
    I-am-a-15-year-old-robot.

You said no one does training classes with a pocket gun. I (again) proved you wrong. And then you were jerk-y about it. If I didn't recognize your "lol" as "humor", then I'll just have to beg your pardon. But clearly others here appreciated that I mentioned the classes, even though you have claimed, in the past, that I bring nothing to this community.

Seriously, have you noticed how many on here call you out? The # seems to be growing

What's the line from Justified? "If you wake up and meet an a-hole, you just met an a-hole. If you meet a-holes all day, YOU'RE the a-hole." Surely there's a mirror in your house somewhere. Look into it. For a while.

hogarth

Ultimate Member
    Jun 13, 2009
    I’d just like a better trigger. I tinker, and I’m fairly competent with triggers. The trigger on the LCP I is widely considered to suck. The size is great.
    That's fair.

I only "tinker" for performance reasons, not because of feel.

First time I shot the FBI qual with the LCP, I passed. And I'd never fired it beyond 10 yds before that. Confident if I try it again I'll pass the qual at the instructor level (now that i know where it hits at 25). Not sure I need much more for a pocket gun.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    That's fair.

I only "tinker" for performance reasons, not because of feel.

First time I shot the FBI qual with the LCP, I passed. And I'd never fired it beyond 10 yds before that. Confident if I try it again I'll pass the qual at the instructor level (now that i know where it hits at 25). Not sure I need much more for a pocket gun.
    Shortening pre-travel should make for a faster trigger pull. The gun is adequate. If I’m using a .380, I’m dumping the mag.

Harrys

Short Round
    Jul 12, 2014
    SOMD
    Yup, test before carrying as I did with my micro. I typically will shoot a box of cheap MFG loads first. Since I reload, I make several rounds with different pellet sizes and shapes along with many different powder loads. I make them in 10 round increments and shot 200 rounds in my Kimber micro. I did not have any rounds that failed and even ran 10 rounds of +P all was well in micro land. Also, recommend that any new gun be tore down and cleaned before shooting for the first time.

Racinready300ex-2

Apr 10, 2020
    On the subject of triggers, Better triggers are just easier to shoot. That's it. Can I shoot the stock trigger? Sure, but why not make my job easier? Better equipment that is easier to shoot will allow me to get away with less than ideal fundamentals. Since I'm not perfect 100% of the time, I'll take what I can get.

Middleman

Sep 25, 2020
    Hello everyone!
    Remember to test whatever you decide to carry before you actually start carrying it to defend yourself and others.

Just wanted to share my experience on a new pickup I had over the weekend. For those wondering it was a LCP Max. Went to the range and had a fail to battery with 3 different mags and 4 different ammo type, including self defense rounds. At first I thought maybe it needed some lube or some breaking in. Decided to clean her up and try some feeding with snap caps but no luck. Did some research and apparently it’s super common with the LCP max. Ruger is sending me a new slide so we will test it out when it gets here. In the meantime the Glock 43 will continue to be my pocket carry of choice.
    Try polishing the feed ramp. This fixed that problem with my lcp2. Now the extractor spring that kept blowing out nothing fixed that.

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    This.

I've got around 700 rounds through mine. Flawless.

But yes, to OP's point. 1000% agree, you need to test your stuff before you carry it.
    Same here with mine. I’ve seen where the first round out of a full mag can fail to go into battery when manually racking the slide if you don’t snap it hard enough but that’s possible with any semi when chambering the first round manually.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davidbanner

Latest threads

Top Bottom