• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Safetech

I open big metal boxes
    May 28, 2011
    Dundock
    I have an opportunity to buy one form an acquaintance for $400. (He thinks it's mid 70s.) Includes a "cowboy holster"..

Assuming no "issues", and an acceptable round count (what IS and acceptable round count?), I think I might jump on it. I'm not really a revolver kinda guy. (But I am a Ruger guy.) This would be my first one, in fact. But I like the idea of having a 44 Mag. Even it it's just to say I've got one, and to shoot occasionally. (Ammo apparently ain't cheap.)

It seems like a good price.

Attachments

• !cid_C354350F-9F31-4AB9-A629-8C6DB1DEDCF1.jpg
      !cid_C354350F-9F31-4AB9-A629-8C6DB1DEDCF1.jpg
      49.4 KB · Views: 251

montoya32

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jun 16, 2010
    Harford Co
    Not a whole lot that can go wrong with a Ruger revolver. Make sure the cylinder lines up correctly and the barrel looks good. If the gun you have pictured is it, I would say it is a go. Doesn't look like much wear.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    If it's in good shape, that's a good price for a fun gun.

Hopalong

Man of Many Nicknames
    Jun 28, 2010
    Howard County
    I have one in stainless, and it is an absolute joy to shoot. Load up some .44 special rounds and the felt recoil drops to almost nothing. $400 is a great price.

I would snag a nice one instantly for $400. What's going on with the hammer? Rust?

Ruger has an annoying habit of not bluing their hammers on the side, so some surface rust can form. Most of the time a little steel wool will take it right off.

44man

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    southern md
    jump on it. the gun pictured appears to have VERY little wear. if the cylinder is tight with no play thats a great price. if you dont want it let me know.

and if the recoil bothers you you could always start reloading and get very pleasant loads.

johnhmpg

Mar 14, 2011
    It looks like a new model version so you wouldn't need the safety conversion. Looks nice and good price.

lax

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    Baldwin
    Fun gun own a stainless model. If you still have the eyes for it, they can be pretty accurate at longer ranges.

Oh and 44mag is a cheap round to reload, many consider it a gateway round as factory rounds can be a little pricey,

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    I have one, it is good one and I hunt with it. A set of ugly Pachmyers will go a LLLOOONNNGGG way to taming the middle knuckle crunching nature of that beast. It really hurts on cold hands. Ouch... I can say mine is one the very last handguns I would get rid of.

Now a days, that's a good price. I don't see much of a turn line between the cylinder bolt notches so it is probably a low round count. Check the bore, the lock up and if all that is good, its a good one to buy.

Dec 31, 2012
    Looks good, if the lockup and bore are good then I'd say sold.
    I joined the Ruger SA revolver fan club this year and am liking it just fine.
    Tank tough guns that will probably outlast everything else I own.

Safetech

I open big metal boxes
    May 28, 2011
    Dundock
    Thanks folks!

Just emailed the guy and told him that if there were no "issues", I'd take it.

ETA...

Here are the rest of the pics he sent me.

Attachments

• !cid_52C31E85-5196-4DA0-A2D3-14BF0A69A298 2.jpg
      !cid_52C31E85-5196-4DA0-A2D3-14BF0A69A298 2.jpg
      67.3 KB · Views: 240
    • !cid_AC7B1F05-8FC4-4856-BCAA-28EA22B10B30.jpg
      !cid_AC7B1F05-8FC4-4856-BCAA-28EA22B10B30.jpg
      56.9 KB · Views: 236
    • !cid_310BC0EB-ACD3-442E-AB3E-959916652BEA.jpg
      !cid_310BC0EB-ACD3-442E-AB3E-959916652BEA.jpg
      116.1 KB · Views: 238

Huckleberry

No One of Consequence
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Severn & Lewes
    1) 44 SPL is your friend

2) Ruger Warranty and Customer Service - Even if you bought any Ruger with worn off finish and missing parts, Ruger will fix and refinish the gun for really low prices. You give them a really good story how you rescued the gun and they may just wave their magic warranty wand and just charge shipping. It has happened to me and a few other Ruger rescuers.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    In the close up of the right side of the frame and cylinder. There is a light area where the upper part of the grip frame mates against the frame. Is that a corrosion place, picture error or something else?

Safetech

I open big metal boxes
    May 28, 2011
    Dundock
    "Finally "pulled the trigger" (at least figuratively) on this deal.

Shipping it was the big issue. UPS wanted $122! FedEx wanted close to $70.

The seller's neighbor has an FFL. So for $30 plus the Priority Mail Postage w/ins., he's going to mail it to my FFL.

Before this, I was never aware how expensive it is for a private party to ship handgun.

Winterborn

Moved to Texas
    Aug 19, 2010
    Arlington, TX
    "Finally "pulled the trigger" (at least figuratively) on this deal.

Shipping it was the big issue. UPS wanted $122! FedEx wanted close to $70.

The seller's neighbor has an FFL. So for $30 plus the Priority Mail Postage w/ins., he's going to mail it to my FFL.

Before this, I was never aware how expensive it is for a private party to ship handgun.

Congrats. I recently bought a ruger new model blackhawk in 44 special. I love it.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

rmocarsky

Apr 20, 2011
    I bought one new 3 years ago, stainless. Price tag was $615.00.

I'd say that what you have there is a very fair price.

BTW: Put a Ultra dot on that hoss, or a scope, and you will have an excellent hunting tool. Capable of so much more accuracy than those factory fat front sights.

Mine wears Ultra dot, and is accurate for ranges under 100 yards with a solid rest with confidence.

Rmocarsky

P.S. I don't think that is a "cowboy" holster; looks more like a woods carry rig. Cowboy (to me) is much more ornate. Just my thoughts.

Last edited:

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    That is a Hunter 1100 series holster.was considered the Old School utility holster decades before nylon holsters were invented. Still made , but what with the price of leather these days no longer particularily inexpensive. But this style of holster does have its own following of retro-minded users. If you did want to go cowboy on purpose ( took up CAS or somthing ) you could get another holster , and still pass off the belt.

Excellent gun. Depending on your hand , and your grip , some people get knuckle rapped , and some don't. Multiple grip options , or even multiple grip frame options.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ObsidianCC

Latest threads

Top Bottom