• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fivepointstar

Thank you MD-Goodbye
    Apr 28, 2008
    3rd Rock from the Sun
    I have an opportunity to pick u a Taurus Model 85 Blued for a great price! I don't know anything about them. I know Taurus pistols don't have the best reputation but I hear that Taurus Revolvers have a better rep. I was hoping you can help me and give any recommendations or not?

here's the specs:
    Taurus Model 85 Specs:

Model: 85B2
    Caliber: .38 SPL +P RATED
    Capacity: 5
    Barrel Length: 2″
    Action: DA/SA
    Finish: Blue
    Grips: Rubber
    Weight: 21 oz
    Construction: Steel
    Frame: Small

Front Sight: Fixed Rear
    Sight: Fixed
    Trigger Type: Smooth
    Length: 6-1/2”

Width: 1.346″
    Height: 4.28″
    Rate of Twist: 1:16″
    Grooves: 5
    Safety: Transfer Bar

The 85 is not the Ultra Lite model and I think it has a 3" bbl. The pic is a stock pic. What do you guys think?? I think new they run @ $325. are these guns a good deal?
    Thanks for the help!

Attachments

• taurus 85 3.jpg
      taurus 85 3.jpg
      17.7 KB · Views: 294

benton0311

Feb 26, 2011
    I've had a 2" Model 85 Ultralite for over ten years and it's been great. It has been reliable and is accurate when fired in single action with the stock rubber grips. The fit and finish is pretty good but not as good as an S&W or Ruger which is to be expected. The trigger is great in single action but is very heavy in double action which of course serves a safety purpose. I've heard the trigger can really be lightened and smoothed out with the installation of the Wolf spring kit.

Only issues I've ever had, which I'm sure could happen to any revolver, were lead buildup from shooting cheap lead ammo and an accumulation of dust, both of which caused the cylinder to bind. The significant lead buildup on the front of the cylinder caused it to bind while shooting and was remedied by removing the lead. The dust issue was when it was a nightstand gun before we had children. It was sitting beneath the nightstand for several years and so much dust accumulated in the cylinder that it caused it to bind as well.

Mine seems to be sighted for 158 grain bullets although I shot some 135 grain PDX a few weeks ago and they were point of aim at 7 yards.

fivepointstar

Thank you MD-Goodbye
    Apr 28, 2008
    3rd Rock from the Sun
    I've had a 2" Model 85 Ultralite for over ten years and it's been great. It has been reliable and is accurate when fired in single action with the stock rubber grips. The fit and finish is pretty good but not as good as an S&W or Ruger which is to be expected. The trigger is great in single action but is very heavy in double action which of course serves a safety purpose. I've heard the trigger can really be lightened and smoothed out with the installation of the Wolf spring kit.

Only issues I've ever had, which I'm sure could happen to any revolver, were lead buildup from shooting cheap lead ammo and an accumulation of dust, both of which caused the cylinder to bind. The significant lead buildup on the front of the cylinder caused it to bind while shooting and was remedied by removing the lead. The dust issue was when it was a nightstand gun before we had children. It was sitting beneath the nightstand for several years and so much dust accumulated in the cylinder that it caused it to bind as well.

Mine seems to be sighted for 158 grain bullets although I shot some 135 grain PDX a few weeks ago and they were point of aim at 7 yards.

awesome!!! I don't think it was an ultralite. it felt like a steel revolver which i prefer anyway.

SmokingGun

Ultimate Member
    Jun 22, 2009
    Absurdistan
    Will you have an opportunity to shoot it before you commit? I have an 85CH from the early 90's that has been a great little gun. A friend of mine has a newer model and has quite a bit of trouble with it.

Kman

Blah, blah, blah
    Dec 23, 2010
    Eastern shore
    I have the 856 (same as 85, but 6 shooter). It's stainless with 2" barrel.
    It went back to Taurus in Miami because the barrel was not fully screwed in and the front sight was canted to the right.
    They made it right and sent it back home in 3 weeks. Works like a champ. DA is a little stiff, but not a huge deal.

FFMike

Ultimate Member
    Feb 4, 2010
    Howard County
    my model 65 is a 1989 model... 20,450 rounds thru it to date. Sent back once to Taurus (2 years or so ago) for a repair (cylinder would not lock up).... Came back with a few other replaced parts but other than a little bluing worn off from 1990's holster wear, it works just as well now as it did then!

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    The M85 is external clone of S&W M36 , but different internals. Tarus has been making these for so many decades they have the bugs worked out . Not quite as pretty as the S&W , but entirely functional and reliable. Yes , my default recomendation is for all steel.

Chaim

Aug 10, 2008
    Columbia
    I've had a Taurus 85CH for about 7 or 8 years (made in 1991). It has been perfect and I wouldn't hesitate to buy another. I've had several Taurus revolvers and an auto and they have all been good guns (the only one that has been questionable isn't a Taurus, but a Rossi which is owned by Taurus but a different design).

MSgtZ

May 23, 2009
    Mechanicsville
    I have a 85CH myself and it was my carry gun until we moved to this unfriendly CHL state :mad54:. Still gets used when we go back to Texas. The double action only pull is heavy but still very useable (it is still my bump in the night first gun to get to bigger firepower if needed). Fit and finish are not Colt and S&W standards but still very good. I have had mine since 1997, and have praticed alot with it over then years, no issues that a good cleaning hasn't been able to cure. Can't speak for the current quality but my late 80's vintage Model 83 and this late 90's vintage Model 85CH have been very good to me:D.

damifinowfish

Ultimate Member
    Dec 14, 2009
    Remulak
    Whats better?

Ford, Chevy, Dodge

S&W, Glock, Taurus

If it feel good to you do it.

I love my Taurus 606, It is going to stay in my collection for a long time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davech1831

Latest threads

Top Bottom