• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • aquaman

Ultimate Member
    Sep 21, 2008
    Belcamp, MD
    I thought I would do a little review on these Tapco Intrafuse magazines, specifically the Orange bakelite Ak74 mag. If you are interested read along and check out the photos

Normally I avoid brands like Tapco but......... we all know how scarce/expensive AK74 milsurp magazines are, especially the orange bakelite East German magazines.

Initial impressions- compared to a EG & Bulgarian mag they feel just as solid around the body. I stepped on it (200lbs) and it did not break, dropped it down the stairs and it did not crack. The weak point is the lugs, they are not metal like the combloc mags. After 50 insertions I did not see any noticeable wear on the poly lugs for what its worth.

Color Comparison-Its pretty close, in person they look even better but the EG has a bit more red in color.

Fit and finish- The Tapco mags fit in my CUR2 very snug. There is NO lateral movement, a slight side to side movement (id say about 1/16"") which is less than the Bulgarian mags I have. The spring tension is less than the EG bakelite mag, but only because the follower slightly sticks in the EG mag when empty. Tension is equal to the Bulgarian 74 mags.

Function- over 300 rounds I did not have any problems with the mag I was using. I realize 300 rounds is not a whole lot but I only had so much time. If I did not see a problem in 300 rounds I think they should be good to go for range use without headaches.

Final thoughts- For $13.50 compared to $30-35 mags in today's market I don't think you can go wrong. The Tapco mags are not up to the level of combloc mags and the SHTF people will scoff at them (delusional) but they are a great value. At 3 to 1 in todays market for general range/plinking use you cant go wrong. I think most shooters would rather have 3 mags loaded than 1 combloc mag so they get more time shooting than loading. Tapco offers a lifetime warranty on this product so even if you did get a dud they will replace it.

Attachments

• side by side color.jpg
      side by side color.jpg
      21.2 KB · Views: 624
    • fit in magwell.jpg
      fit in magwell.jpg
      46.9 KB · Views: 719
    • all four mags.jpg
      all four mags.jpg
      41.4 KB · Views: 550
    • top vs EG.jpg
      top vs EG.jpg
      35.8 KB · Views: 518
    • rear lug.jpg
      rear lug.jpg
      20.5 KB · Views: 791

ST19AG_WGreymon

Ultimate Member
    Feb 16, 2009
    Odenton
    I got one of these as a project magazine. It works and is great for the price considering the cost of milsurp mags nowadays. Although I still like my Bulgarian mags. :)

chris12138

Kitchen Table Machinist
    Jul 12, 2011
    St Marys
    30-35 for Bulgis? Put me on! lol. The best i think I could find even on the net was like $40. I've been using the Tapcos for about 500 rds and the only issue I had was one of the mags wouldn't lock in if I had 30rds in it so I have one 29rd magazine :D Other than that they all cycle flawlessly even in a converted Saiga with no bullet guide.

Scott7891

Love those Combloc guns
    Sep 4, 2007
    Back in MD sadly
    Good review.

But I am going to stick with the milsurp originals. More would be nice but I am glad I bought a bunch before the price hike.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Noha

Latest threads

Top Bottom