• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sirex

Powered by natural gas
    Oct 30, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    Frederick has several nice hotels, mainly over on the Westview side off 85. But there is a hotel in the mall are that has or had sports betting that could be useable for convention like stuff. As well as close proximity to the mall, and the Tesla chargers, and restaurants.

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    Frederick isn't a small town anymore. Shoot, it's not even a small city. It's a solid mid-sized city and on its way to becoming a large city in the coming decades. If the city government were smart, they'd have annexed the areas around it (Linganore etc.) a decade or more ago so that they'd have the proper tax base to handle the infrastructure needs that are arising with all this development going on around them.

Living half of my life in Charleston, WV, I CAN speak to the fact that having a convention/civic center in the middle of downtown is much preferable to one on the outskirts of town. Now that the largest urban mall east of the Mississippi is essentially defunct, the Charleston Civic Center is the main draw for hotels in downtown Charleston, WV. Concerts, conventions, competitions, expos, etc. all bring lots of business downtown that help keep the hotels, restaurants, and shops going year-round. It just wouldn't have the desired effect if pushed out to Westview or the Golden Mile. It's walkability that is key to these types of projects. Convention and show-goers want to be able to park at the hotel or convention center and then walk everywhere else (restaurants, shops, coffee, etc.) so this location, between Market and East Streets, works really well for this.

Back to the subject of the unrestricted development going on, Frederick is going to have water issues soon enough unless the development stops.

RFBfromDE

W&C MD, UT, PA
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 21, 2022
    The Land of Pleasant Living
    Living half of my life in Charleston, WV, I CAN speak to the fact that having a convention/civic center in the middle of downtown is much preferable to one on the outskirts of town. Now that the largest urban mall east of the Mississippi is essentially defunct, the Charleston Civic Center is the main draw for hotels in downtown Charleston, WV. Concerts, conventions, competitions, expos, etc. all bring lots of business downtown that help keep the hotels, restaurants, and shops going year-round. It just wouldn't have the desired effect if pushed out to Westview or the Golden Mile. It's walkability that is key to these types of projects. Convention and show-goers want to be able to park at the hotel or convention center and then walk everywhere else (restaurants, shops, coffee, etc.) so this location, between Market and East Streets, works really well for this.
    When I worked for Blue Cross on Maine Ave SW DC (Federal Employee Program) they closed up shop to move to Charleston, WV. I took the buy out instead of moving out there.

Do you know if they have since moved on?

Afrikeber

Ultimate Member
    Jan 14, 2013
    Urbana, Md.
    "The hotel and conference center would be located at the former site of The Frederick News-Post on East Patrick Street, and city officials have asked the county to contribute $2.5 million for acquisition, which would be nearly 70 percent of the estimated $3.7 million to purchase the property."

This is alleged to be a $70million project with commitments already in place from investors/Marriott.

Is the problem that the distressed property isn't worth the $3.7 asking price?

The City should concentrate and fast tracking permits like it's supposed to do.

Not line the pockets of property owners with public monies.

What did I miss?
    Follow the money, political contributions are now flowing freely in Frederick County. They just recently voted to allow development of the Sugarloaf Mountain area with data centers! Who the hell will pay for the electricity infrastructure grid to support that? The taxpayers.

It’s the same story on both sides of the aisle, in all levels of government local, state, federal. Get rid of lobbyists their ability to contribute and do term office limits for the lifers.

RFBfromDE

W&C MD, UT, PA
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 21, 2022
    The Land of Pleasant Living
    Follow the money, political contributions are now flowing freely in Frederick County. They just recently voted to allow development of the Sugarloaf Mountain area with data centers! Who the hell will pay for the electricity infrastructure grid to support that? The taxpayers.
    That's interesting...

The old, vacant for decades COMSAT campus must not be grifting hard enough.

Afrikeber

Ultimate Member
    Jan 14, 2013
    Urbana, Md.
    Frederick isn't a small town anymore. Shoot, it's not even a small city. It's a solid mid-sized city and on its way to becoming a large city in the coming decades. If the city government were smart, they'd have annexed the areas around it (Linganore etc.) a decade or more ago so that they'd have the proper tax base to handle the infrastructure needs that are arising with all this development going on around them.

Back to the subject of the unrestricted development going on, Frederick is going to have water issues soon enough unless the development stops.
    They are dumping a lot more treated sewage down the Monocacy River by the more frequent smells as I cross the bridge daily.

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    When I worked for Blue Cross on Maine Ave SW DC (Federal Employee Program) they closed up shop to move to Charleston, WV. I took the buy out instead of moving out there.

Do you know if they have since moved on?

Some form of it is still around. That building was brand-new when I was a kid. It occupied the location of the old Sears Dept. Store from the time before the Charleston Town Center mall was built. My uncle worked there until he was transferred to Roanoke, VA sometime in the late 80s/early 90s. It eventually became CASCI which is still part of the BCBS umbrella but deals entirely with claims processing. They left the building that BCBS had occupied since it was built to a smaller office space after the pandemic when they realized that the vast majority of their workforce could operate remotely with little or no issue. There was no longer a need for a 700-person office when only 30 people were in the building anymore.

The building is being demolished now. Trans Canada Energy, which bought up Columbia Gas, is moving its transmission division headquarters there from the old Columbia Gas Transmission headquarters building across the river. They're building a whole new complex now.

So, yes, BCBS still has a presence in Charleston, but it may not have been in the same capacity as when you were optioned to transfer.

Now, with that in mind, if you had taken the transfer back then, it would have been a great time to be in Charleston, so long as you were back out by the early 2000s. It's not a bad place to live (or be retired for that matter) but it's not what it once was. Back in the 70s, 80s, and even the 90s, it was a fantastic place to live, work and play.

SummitCnty

Ultimate Member
    Jan 26, 2013
    Frederick County

Frederick Co./Frederick City was in a big water crunch in the late 90's early 2000's then they brought the new pipeline in from the river up Rt 28. You could see the development take off right after they did like they had an unlimited supply.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom