• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Turn through this Elwood gate.

You'll see us in the field to the right. Park on the outside fence line.
    a91f05666e73f61899d9eb5d701b8410.jpg
    c93c2c041de073d8f8ec5a4f3a0d1270.jpg

308Scout

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 27, 2020
    Washington County
    Outstanding course! Definitely ended up being a good bit more advanced than your basic NRA intro to pistol course. Good finally getting out to shoot with some fellow MDS'rs while re-visiting the fundamentals +P+. Thanks again to Blaster for coordinating and getting this and the awareness session on the radar.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    When I sit down tonight I'll write out a more thorough review but I am absolutely undoubtedly a better shooter having take this course
    I understand what you're saying. There was a lot to digest for a one day class.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Great class, great day. It was awesome seeing everyone get better and learning. Not all split cards, but those who didn't, came close. So proud of you all!

Miguel and I met a great connection tonight and it might be the start of some awesome guided range classes.

Last edited:

gmharle

MDS Supporter
    Dec 29, 2015
    Millers, MD
    I was great seeing everyone and the class was exceptional. It really made me stretch and do some things that were not comfortable. That work payed off in the end for sure. Looking forward to hear what @Blaster229 & @Gun Commander are cooking up for the guided range classes.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    First off, the class was great! You will not meet a more pleasant, knowledgeable, yet humble person than "Ninja" Bob Porras.

If you're thinking Introduction to Pistol Marksmanship is a beginner's course, it is not necessarily so. Whether you are new to handguns or a seasoned shooter, you will benefit greatly from this class. Starting with fundamentals, from there, Bob will take you all the way to an introduction to shoot and move. In our class, most of us considered ourselves somewhat seasoned shooters, yet we all made advances in skills lacking as a result of this class.

In my case, I came to this class with scars(both mental ans physical) from a recent handgun accident. A week ago, I doubted I'd ever want to shoot a pistol again. But, I went anyway with the hopes of at least regaining some confidence in myself. This class got me back on the horse that threw me. I owe that all to the Ninja.

Last edited:

Gun Commander

Industry Partner
    Jan 13, 2023
    Arnold, MD
    @Blaster229 and I had such a great time shooting alongside our MDS friends, and learning from Ninja Bob! Everything about that class was perfect. Beautiful weather, outstanding instructor, and sooo much improvement!! You all should be very happy with your growth as shooters.

As a trainer, I am grateful for the opportunity to watch how Ninja Bob taught the class and get his advice and tips. We even kicked a few ideas around that I hope we can follow up on.

All in all, what a great experience!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    I know you've all been on the edge of your seat waiting for my synopsis.

First of all as mentioned prior this was a hell of a lot more of a class than I figured it would be. "Intro" is only appropriate if you view it as "Intro for someone who has already handled and shot a handgun". This would be potentially overwhelming for a totally green new shooter IMO.

I told Bob at the beginning of the class that I was less than certain about my handgun skills. Only thing he did different was put me next to him I assume just to make sure I wasn't a total greenhorn waving guns around etc. I wasn't treated any different than anyone else in the class.

Started with a simple drill shooting from 3 yards at 3" or so diameter circles. That seemed to be intended as a baseline to understand general skill. Some two handed, some strong hand, some weak hand. Pretty evident after this I was only more able than one other shooter in the class.

Variety of exercises were completed. Shooting behind barriers, shooting on the move etc. I don't want to blow up his brand by describing his whole class. I appreciated his constant theme of "do what is comfortable". He was constantly emphasizing the practical difference between competition shooting and defensive shooting.

Distance shooting contest came down to Gun Commander vs Bertfish Sr and concluded with a Gun Commander victory at 75 yards or so.

One challenge I thought for sure would be impossible was hitting a playing card on edge. Took me 10 shots or so but thanks to Bob and Gun Commander I so drastically improved my grip and trigger pull over the day that I got the damn thing. Not as clean as many others but I'll take it.

I am absolutely a better shooter having taken this. A lot of my issues came down to grip and trigger like are so common. I am damn lucky Blaster put me in for this and damn glad I got my old man to go too.
    20240420_162107.jpg

Redbean

Redbean
    Jan 14, 2017
    Beltsville, Maryland
    All Excellent Reviews! I'm psyched to take the next one if it ever comes around again. Outrider58, so glad to hear you're okay and back in the game. Please keep us updated on new training courses. I'm definitely down!

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    All Excellent Reviews! I'm psyched to take the next one if it ever comes around again. Outrider58, so glad to hear you're okay and back in the game. Please keep us updated on new training courses. I'm definitely down!
    He said he'd be back up here around August

August in that field will be hot, be forewarned.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Thanks my friend!

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    I'm already planning a July get together.
    Bob has an intro to pistol(like yesterday) and intro to rifle. I've taken both. The rifle class is like the pistol intro class. Not basic.

Saturday July 27, intro to pistol and intro to rifle on Sunday the 28th.
    Mini blaster is already in for both. Miguel and I are already going.

This will be an epic MDS road trip of comraderie.

Friday, Saturday, and Sunday night in clear run, NC.
    Let's do this!

91b938f5666fc6c2ce5b66f2e4fe2fcf.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davech1831

Latest threads

Top Bottom