• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DEX

scruffy-lookin nerfherder
    Aug 16, 2013
    Glen Burnie, MD
    I know these aren't the most expensive of firearms but I like to think of any firearm as an investment. This is my first jump into the revolver pool, and in rimfire, so what would be the best way to make sure this stay in working order.

BTW, I got the 6.5 with fixed sights, which surprising needed no adjustment on the front blade. Fired over 100 rounds of LR and aprox. 30 rounds of mag over a cpl of range trips, while doing my "normal" firearm cleaning after each time.

EL1227

R.I.P.
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 14, 2010
    I have the same one ...

Regular cleaning and lubrication per the owners manual is all I have done. Actually, I clean and lube after every trip to the range whether I put a few or many rounds through it.

It's a pretty hardly little revolver and I'm happy with mine. It goes well with my Henry lever rifle.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    1) Keep the chambers and bore clean. Lightly oil up the action. I use Gunzilla for both. Don't use metal brushes.
    2) Keep the outside lightly oiled. I use Ballistol, since it's also a wood conditioner.
    3) Avoid dry firing.

I like Heritage revolvers. Not fancy but fun.

DEX

Aug 16, 2013
    Glen Burnie, MD
    Thanks! The only other concern I have is about ppl commenting on not using mags on other sites. The reasoning varies, but I don't want my pretty gun falling apart :D

ColonelHurtz

A pile of little arms.
    Nov 13, 2008
    Junk.

The pot metal tab on the ejector broke on mine after about 100 rounds.
    They refused to send me the $11 part and want $20 to ship it.
    Offered to replace it under warranty if I shipped the gun, which is expensive and wholly unnecessary.

So the gun has been down for a while and I'm looking to get rid of it.
    SA gate loading designs are antiquated ******** anyway.
    Only interesting if you're into cowboy stuff.

A S&W 617 has replaced it in the Hurtz arsenal.

DEX

Aug 16, 2013
    Glen Burnie, MD
    Junk.

Offered to replace it under warranty if I shipped the gun, which is expensive and wholly unnecessary.

So the gun has been down for a while and I'm looking to get rid of it.

A S&W 617 has replaced it in the Hurtz arsenal.

It was mainly an fun, "wow, it's a SA for a decent price" sort of purchase anyways. I just want to make sure it "lives" as long as it possibly can.

I actually had a pretty decent experience with their customer service. After I got home from picking up the revolver, I opened up the box and notice that the none of the standard manufacturer paperwork, etc. was inside. Then I did a usual all over check on the firearm and notice that there was a sand like substance (silicon looking) around and inside both cylinders. I sent an email out to the manufacturer and got a response within 20 minutes. They sent me the manual and a catalog along with a tag to send it back to them to check it out.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    Thanks! The only other concern I have is about ppl commenting on not using mags on other sites. The reasoning varies, but I don't want my pretty gun falling apart :D

No need to use 22WMR nowadays. Modern 22LR loads like CCI's hotter stuff gives enough performance to render 22WMR mostly moot.

Junk.

How does that help the OP maintain his revolver, per the original question?

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    Junk.

Really? Then how is so it many of us have so much fun shooting our SA gate loading revolvers from .22's to hand cannons for accuracy...and I don't mean with cowboy loads...:sad20:

And, as was asked, how does this help the OP maintain his pistol? Fortunately he's gotten good input on that now.

freddie

Mar 20, 2013
    It didn't cost most enjoy it while it works, that how I use mine. Mrs Pilgrim not a fan of the single action revolver. But it just means I don't have to buy two.

And the whole anti single action thing, they are just misguided.

I really enjoy single action only for a change of pace: I have three Rugers and a Heritage. Rugers look better (as they should for almost three times the price) but the Hertitage hangs right in their with them at the range.

jonnyl

Ultimate Member
    Sep 23, 2009
    Frederick
    SA revolvers are like a piece of history. I love my Ruger single-six, it was the first "real gun" I ever shot, and I made sure it was the first for my girls also!

Enjoy it!!

TexasBob

Another day in Paradise
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 25, 2012
    Space Coast
    Have one of those 22lr/22WMR 6 shooter haven't had any trouble other then ejecting the spent rounds. It was a bit sticky but after a couple 100 rounds and a couple good cleaning and lubes it work fine. 22 is a very dirty round so you got to clean it after you shoot it. Put a good lube on it and wipe it down don't leave oil on the surface it will collect powder grime.

Last edited:

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    And .22WMR is too a worthwhile ctg in a revolver. A real revolver anyway , it takes some bbl length to make use of the powder . And yes bbl/cylnder gap matters.

A *fewA years ago chrono'd several 40gr loads from 5.5in Colt , and vels ran 1350-1400fps . I'd call a 400fps increase over .22lr worthwhile.

Leeann

Ultimate Member
    Sep 18, 2011
    Edgewater
    Yep, as already said, keep it clean and oiled and you'll be gtg.

I have somewhere north of 500 rds through mine. Only issue is the ejector screw came off down at hvmax's house. Bought 2 from Heritage, put a drop of Loctite on when I installed it. Will now keep an eye on the screw, but the spare's in the range box.

freddie

Mar 20, 2013
    Much talk about S&W and Ruger revolvers but only recently did I discover two other USA manufacturerst that produce quality revolvers, significantly lower price point with great customer service - wish I had found out about them sooner.

Heritage and Charter Arms.

Not to say that I don't appreciate having my S&W 625JM and 460M, 2 Ruger Vaquero's and New Model Blackhawk Convertible - they do bring a smile to my face just to look at them. Plus the added benefit of most likely getting a decent price for them in the future if hard times hit.

ankrklankr

Great little gun. I hose it with CLP every now and again and clean the lead coils out after Thunderbolt.

Thunderbolts carry a well earned reputation for being downright filthy, but whatever ammo you use, check and clean everything in front of the hammer and above the trigger, including the frame, cylinders, barrel and ejection rod area. Powder, lead, and plating (if you use clad bullets)will blow through the gap between the cylinder and the barrel and adhere to any surface they contact and build up. I just apply some solvent using a 1/4" glue brush, let it set awhile (up to 1/2 hour at times), then brush the residue off with a old toothbrush; repeat if necessary, then the usual light oiling. Cleaning and caring for the firearm is not difficult, merely time consuming. But the benefits are well worth the time. Even an inexperienced eye can appreciate a well cared for firearm.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom