Taking a Wear and carry class, what to expect?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pleasant1911

Ultimate Member
    Apr 12, 2012
    I am taking a wear and carry for class next week. Should i be expecting something to happen in this class and read and study for it or is it just a sit and listen to the lecture classroom setting. For me it is only 25 shots bc I am renewing a permit as a business owner. I never been judged/tested on shooting a gun before so it makes me kind of nervous, an instructor standing behind me and scoring me.

I can bring any handgun with me to do the shooting test, correct? I know bullets will be sold there, so I guess I dont have to worry about going out to the store and buying some. Has anybody taken this class, or given this class, and give me some information before I go, so I am not totally blind? Thanks

TonyB.

Ultimate Member
    Jul 27, 2012
    My training was pretty laid back. First day of classroom instruction and some hands-on lessons involving drawing from a holster and concealment. Second day was live fire, shot as a group and overseen by the instructors. No real scoring per se, just the instructors watching to make sure you've got the fundamentals down and get the rounds on target.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    I am taking a wear and carry for class next week. Should i be expecting something to happen in this class and read and study for it or is it just a sit and listen to the lecture classroom setting. For me it is only 25 shots bc I am renewing a permit as a business owner. I never been judged/tested on shooting a gun before so it makes me kind of nervous, an instructor standing behind me and scoring me.

I can bring any handgun with me to do the shooting test, correct? I know bullets will be sold there, so I guess I dont have to worry about going out to the store and buying some. Has anybody taken this class, or given this class, and give me some information before I go, so I am not totally blind? Thanks
    Your question can only be answered by the instructor you choose. Each have their own way of teaching. Just listen to the commands you should be OK.

montoya32

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jun 16, 2010
    Harford Co
    Is this an NRA course? PPOTH or something else? Are you renewing a MD permit? I would buy ammo ahead of time. Bullets don't go bang without a case, primer and powder:D

Not knowing what class you are taking is kind of hard to advise you on.

pleasant1911

Ultimate Member
    Apr 12, 2012
    I dont know if its NRA course or anything else. Its for the state of MD. Your right I should buy ammo instead of bullets, because they'll fit better in my clip...

Its for the eight hour, renewal class. I think its in waldorf on the 17 and 18th of this month( next week). I am guessing, most people taking this class will be in the security personnel and probably not too business owner, but i dont know, just guessing.

If the shooting is on the second day, should I only bring my gun the second day of the class. Do i need to bring a gun with a holster, and not just a gun in like a range pistol bag to class? Will there be like a written exam afterwards?

montoya32

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jun 16, 2010
    Harford Co
    I dont know if its NRA course or anything else. Its for the state of MD. Your right I should buy ammo instead of bullets, because they'll fit better in my clip...

Its for the eight hour, renewal class. I think its in waldorf on the 17 and 18th of this month( next week). I am guessing, most people taking this class will be in the security personnel and probably not too business owner, but i dont know, just guessing.

If the shooting is on the second day, should I only bring my gun the second day of the class. Do i need to bring a gun with a holster, and not just a gun in like a range pistol bag to class? Will there be like a written exam afterwards?

For a renewal, I believe you don't need to go the second day. I think you just need to qualify and do the 8 hours, but you should bring your unloaded weapon both days. Typically there are classroom exercises done with unloaded weapons.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Why aren't you asking these questions to the instructor who is holding this class??

Not everyone runs their classes the same.

pleasant1911

Ultimate Member
    Apr 12, 2012
    Why aren't you asking these questions to the instructor who is holding this class??

Not everyone runs their classes the same.

Because I am bored at work, and its more fun watching my post numbers go up! Stuff like this, i dont like to call ahead, either google it or in this case MDShooter it. I dont want the instructor to be like, so your the guy...:D

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Because I am bored at work, and its more fun watching my post numbers go up! Stuff like this, i dont like to call ahead, either google it or in this case MDShooter it. I dont want the instructor to be like, so your the guy...:D

Well, most people I know who hold classes would NEVER say that to you. Because if they make you feel you can't ask questions before class, how the hell will you feel during class when you have a question?
    Questions spur conversation and ideas and to me that's a good thing.

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake

Might be too late.....;)

But seriously, the 16 hour class I took was all classroom instruction for the first 8 hours, then draw from the holster, etc... and live fire on the second day.

3rdRcn

RIP
    Industry Partner
    Sep 9, 2007
    Harford County
    I don't teach the "wear and carry" thing, but word of advice - choose your instructor carefully.

This statement right there says a ton. If your instructor has made you feel like you can't ask questions or has not told you what to expect in his class then you may want to spend your money somewhere else.

Any instructor, and there are a few, that does not let his class roster know what is going on before, during and offer support after his class is wasting your money.

Too many times I have heard of instructors giving the legal portion of their classes and not hiring an attorney to do so, what make them an attorney? How are they qualified to give legal advice? They read from a manual or tell you their brother in law/friend/brother is an attorney and they talked to them about it so they will be qualified to give this portion? How do they know what YOUR questions will be? Don't waste your money!!

If an instructor is not willing to help you before during and after class, for as much time as it takes for you to master a skill. Don't waste your money!!!

There is no shortage of people out there that call themselves instructors because they have obtained an NRA instructor badge. This is the biggest crock of crap going and a lot of those badges are given out to people who are not qualified to have them as well as have no idea how to impart knowledge in an understandable way by the students. Choose wisely for any firearms training you decide to take.

Remember this, if a class is cheap there is a reason and if the folks running it can't give me a reasonable explanation as to why, I don't take it. It's cheap for a reason and more times than not it's because the instructor is not very good and has no sense of value to his teaching skills or competency to do so, if an instructor can not do a drill with competency then how can he teach you how to do it. I have seen many pistol instructors who can't shoot accurately, why would I want someone to teach me that can't do it themselves.

I'll get off my soap box and wish everyone here luck in finding a competent instructor to teach them the skills necessary to become proficient in the area they wish to master.

pleasant1911

Ultimate Member
    Apr 12, 2012
    Well, most people I know who hold classes would NEVER say that to you. Because if they make you feel you can't ask questions before class, how the hell will you feel during class when you have a question?
    Questions spur conversation and ideas and to me that's a good thing.

I don't see how you are getting to your conclusion. All I was saying was that I did not want to call ahead and ask all of these questions because I never do it or never wanted to do it. You need to chill. I never met the instructor, but i got the class of this forum. I am sure he is qualified, but I don't really care who the instructors are, I am only doing this class because it is required. Hope you are not the instructor!

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    I don't see how you are getting to your conclusion. All I was saying was that I did not want to call ahead and ask all of these questions because I never do it or never wanted to do it. You need to chill. I never met the instructor, but i got the class of this forum. I am sure he is qualified, but I don't really care who the instructors are, I am only doing this class because it is required. Hope you are not the instructor!
    Good luck sparky. :thumbup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ObsidianCC

Latest threads

Top Bottom