• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • steveinmd

Mar 3, 2008
    Westminster
    The Mayberry Game Protective Assoc. will be holding its next tactical/precision rifle match on Saturday Feb. 7th. 2009. The details and course of fire are still being planned, but I wanted to give everyone as much notice as possible that the match is happening. www.mayberrygpa.com has a flyer posted, the details should be correct, but the time and date need updated. Further details will be posted ASAP. Thanks, hope to see you at the range.

Steve

Last edited:

vwpilot

Nov 26, 2008
    Keep us updated. I'm in for this.

EDIT: I didnt see any information on the website, do you have a place to get info on membership at the club?

Last edited:

steveinmd

Mar 3, 2008
    Westminster
    Registration is open. The info on the website regarding registration is correct. The starting time for this match is still being finallized, but we will start sometime early afternoon and the match will end sometime after sunset. There will be some night firing. As I know more details I'll let you know.

vwpilot

Nov 26, 2008
    So is this a precision rifle match (bolt type gun) or a tactical match (AR/carbine)?

The title says tactical, but the flyer says precision and when I read targets out to 600 yards, thats leads me to want to use the bolt gun.

I want to do it either way, just need to know what to bring.

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    So is this a precision rifle match (bolt type gun) or a tactical match (AR/carbine)?

The title says tactical, but the flyer says precision and when I read targets out to 600 yards, thats leads me to want to use the bolt gun.

I want to do it either way, just need to know what to bring.
    It's tough to draw too much from the title of most of these these events.

In most circles, "Tactical" shooting is most often a more PC term for military and police sniper work. I shoot a "Tactical" match in WV that involves targets to 1,200 yards. Benchrest and F-class are forms of "Precision" rifle.

If "Tactical" rifle makes you think of ARs, what does "Practical" rifle bring to mind? :D

Unless you have a target grade, scoped AR, you're going to want your scoped bolt gun. It's only to 600, and so a nice accurate AR with a good scope and heavy bullets would still work OK and would even be an advantage for some (timed) stages.

If you go to the thread for the last one, you can see a lot of pics that give a general idea: http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=9458

J.Brown

Apr 3, 2008
    Hampstead
    do the folks that shoot these have all decked out LR rifles or what? my 700cdl lss shoots very well, its kinda flashy but since no one will be shooting back will it be ok?

vwpilot

Nov 26, 2008
    Cool. Bolt gun it is...unless I pull out the FNAR that I just got...hmm....and though I havent shot it that far, the precision AR might be fun to use....just too many decisions. :D

My registration is going in the mail tomorrow. Thanks.

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    do the folks that shoot these have all decked out LR rifles or what? my 700cdl lss shoots very well, its kinda flashy but since no one will be shooting back will it be ok?
    Flashy isn't going to hurt you one bit. My guess is that you'll see the full range of rifle types there. Last time, some of the guys shot custom guns, and I saw a lot of factory tactical-style rifles last time, a couple sporters and one guy shot an iron sighted AR-15.

To a point, it is far more the shooter than it is the rifle, and I used a nice custom rifle to shoot the wrong target last time. When time limits are imposed and field positions are used, the playing field is leveled considerably and inherent rifle accuracy becomes far less important than it would be at F-Class or benchrest.

If your gun will consistently shoot to less than 1 MOA, you'll definitely be competitive and the most "rifle-challenging" shot I recall from September's shoot was clay birds (4-1/4"(?)) at 600 yards, which would require a .67 MOA rifle to hit consistently, but then, there's this breeze . . .

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom