• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jun 30, 2010
    Churchton
    Just curious if anyone on this forum has any profession in any of these fields our something similar...

How do you go about getting a job like these? Where do you look/start? What kind if education our experience does it require?

Reason I ask: I'm a combat vet. I have tactical training from my days in the infantry, and I'd love to acquire a job where some of these skills could be put to good use. I'm still relatively young (28) and I still have the GI Bill at my disposal. I'm currently working at a retail store and its not my cup of tea, to say the least.

I'm just wondering if anyone has any tips or experience that they could pass along.

Ruzo

Ultimate Member
    Mar 12, 2011
    Phoenix, MD.
    I would pm some of the instructors to see if maybe they could point you in a direction. Or, pass on how they got started. Maybe get your certs, by doing the NRA instructor courses.

CrabbyMcNab

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2009
    Didn't Blackwater get shut down and they changed their name?

Blackwater got into Hotwater

sandbanger

how's it going eisenhower
    Dec 14, 2010
    Xe is blackwaters new name.
    Get yourself a clearance above S if you want conus work. If you want OCONUS work its all over the web.

Jun 30, 2010
    Churchton
    look into Triple Canopy out of Virginia, they usually have instructor positions open

I actually tried getting a job with TC a while back...an old co-worker of mine who worked LP with me at Sears wound up getting a job there because his uncle was the security director of personnel in Iraq. He gave me a contact to a guy who did the hiring...I sent my resume 3 times (at least) but with no luck...never heard back from the guy.

I'd prefer CONUS work, but OCONUS wouldnt bother me if I was making a decent paycheck.

jetli

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jun 6, 2011
    rockville
    Dynacorp, SAIC are two.... prob is there are endless supplies of snake eaters like yourself and even Tier 1 guys are not making the cash they used to

Risqman

Jun 30, 2011
    Eastern Shore
    GI Bill

WARPIG [USMC];1149585 said:
    Just curious if anyone on this forum has any profession in any of these fields our something similar...

How do you go about getting a job like these? Where do you look/start? What kind if education our experience does it require?

Reason I ask: I'm a combat vet. I have tactical training from my days in the infantry, and I'd love to acquire a job where some of these skills could be put to good use. I'm still relatively young (28) and I still have the GI Bill at my disposal. I'm currently working at a retail store and its not my cup of tea, to say the least.

I'm just wondering if anyone has any tips or experience that they could pass along.

You might want to make use of that GI Bill you have at your disposal soon as tax cuts the current administration might make them useless to save tax dollars and help reduce the deficit.
    I've been seeing a bunch of chatter on news sites about killing the GI Bill, Veterans benefits, SSI & Disabilities benefits lately, so check into it soon!

Tower43

USMC - 0311
    Jul 6, 2010
    Lusby, MD
    You might want to make use of that GI Bill you have at your disposal soon as tax cuts the current administration might make them useless to save tax dollars and help reduce the deficit.
    I've been seeing a bunch of chatter on news sites about killing the GI Bill, Veterans benefits, SSI & Disabilities benefits lately, so check into it soon!

If they kill the veteran's benefits there will be an open revolt... And I will stand up to fight with it

benton0311

Feb 26, 2011
    Unfortunately, a basic infantry background really won't get you far these days. After two wars, basic trigger pullers (03XX / 11X) with combat experience are a dime a dozen nowadays. If you ever get to work with former SF, Force Recon, SEALs, etc you'll realize how far behind the basic infantry skill set really is.

That being said, there are entry level contracting jobs overseas with DOS probably being the largest client between DSS and INL. With your background you could try a DOS WPS (formally WPPS) contract. Biggest players there are DynCorp, Triple Canopy, and USTC (aka Xe/BW). After the change from WPPS to WPS I believe there are more bidders on board like EODT and SOC-SMG.

I worked for BW for about 4.5 years and now for DSS. I was lucky to get hired with only an 0311 background but the DOS contracts aren't too bad to get on to and the standards have supposedly been substantially eased with the new WPS standard.

Another option for DOS contracts is with INL. DynCorp has several contracts with them providing security, police training, and air support and they have several security positions you might be qualified for.

I would highly recommend staying away from some of the fixed site security contracts like those with Armor Group North America (not to be confused with their British counterparts) and G4S/Wackenhut. However, if you need to get your foot in the door for some experience they're better than nothing.

Last I checked, about a year ago, WPPS contracts paid about 130K a year with BW and TC, a little bit more with Dyn, maybe 150k. The INL gigs pay anywhere from 130k to close to 200k but you usually spend much more time overseas so it's a wash pay wise. AGNA was paying something like 90 to 100k a year ago.

EDIT: Just realized I replied to a thread that's over two months old.

Spot77

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2005
    Anne Arundel County
    Unfortunately, a basic infantry background really won't get you far these days. After two wars, basic trigger pullers (03XX / 11X) with combat experience are a dime a dozen nowadays. If you ever get to work with former SF, Force Recon, SEALs, etc you'll realize how far behind the basic infantry skill set really is.

That being said, there are entry level contracting jobs overseas with DOS probably being the largest client between DSS and INL. With your background you could try a DOS WPS (formally WPPS) contract. Biggest players there are DynCorp, Triple Canopy, and USTC (aka Xe/BW). After the change from WPPS to WPS I believe there are more bidders on board like EODT and SOC-SMG.

I worked for BW for about 4.5 years and now for DSS. I was lucky to get hired with only an 0311 background but the DOS contracts aren't too bad to get on to and the standards have supposedly been substantially eased with the new WPS standard.

Another option for DOS contracts is with INL. DynCorp has several contracts with them providing security, police training, and air support and they have several security positions you might be qualified for.

I would highly recommend staying away from some of the fixed site security contracts like those with Armor Group North America (not to be confused with their British counterparts) and G4S/Wackenhut. However, if you need to get your foot in the door for some experience they're better than nothing.

Last I checked, about a year ago, WPPS contracts paid about 130K a year with BW and TC, a little bit more with Dyn, maybe 150k. The INL gigs pay anywhere from 130k to close to 200k but you usually spend much more time overseas so it's a wash pay wise. AGNA was paying something like 90 to 100k a year ago.

EDIT: Just realized I replied to a thread that's over two months old.

It's good info nonetheless, and there's always a flurry of new people looking to do the same type of stuff. :thumbsup:

mancheechee

Daily Trigger
    Jul 22, 2010
    Frederick
    Use your GIBILL.
    if you don't have a bachelors, get it.
    or get your masters.

If you use the yellow ribbon program, and you attend school in class full time, I believe you get E-5 housing allowance and all of your school paid for. Meanwhile, while attending school, get a part time job to gain experience. And learn a language! Farsi (2 dialects) or Arabic is hot right now and not impossible to pick up.

A degree in intelligence or operations management (and minor in mid east studies) will get you far with some combat experience. And when you are too old for actual physical tactical combat situations, you would be able to sit behind a desk planning and coordinating.

If you sacrifice now, later in life, you'll look back and see that it was worth it. Then with all the money you make, you could buy all the tools to plink all day long when you retire.

Kilroy

Ultimate Member
    Jul 27, 2011
    Get yourself a college degree. Kicking in doors is going to be a hard job when you're 40-50 years old.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GD-3

Latest threads

Top Bottom