• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • eruby

Confederate Jew
    MDS Supporter
    It’s been awhile since I got mine but I recall it falling under firearm and had a 7 day wait.
    Thank you.

Just as I suspected, Maryland says it's a 'firearm', but still forces you to have an HQL.

Maryland to gun owners:

catfu.jpg

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    How is the Tac 14 sold in Maryland? Is it not a handgun, even though one needs an HQL? Is it sold as a 'firearm' and thus the Federal > 26" comes into play?

Not trying to be argumentative, just trying to understand.

MD treats Shockwaves as handguns; they're listed on the roster.

Jed195

Ultimate Member
    Oct 19, 2011
    MD.
    Thank you.

Just as I suspected, Maryland says it's a 'firearm', but still forces you to have an HQL.

Maryland to gun owners:

View attachment 298035

Unless you buy a pistol grip only (from the factory) mossberg 590 and buy the 14" front end kit and build the shockwave yourself. Only way I get one with no HQL.

Then either keep or sell the barrel and mag tube/spring from the 18/20 inch front end to someone who wants to home defense their field mossberg.

Ammo Jon

Ultimate Member
    Mar 3, 2008
    I have a Tac-14, Mossberg Shockwave is the better of the two due to the ergonomics.

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    Unless you buy a pistol grip only (from the factory) mossberg 590 and buy the 14" front end kit and build the shockwave yourself. Only way I get one with no HQL.

Lots of them got done this way before the factories decided to make them. Shockwave published a list of parts needed from Mossberg. They were easy, since they had a ton of PGO Cruiser guns already in circulation, and the short front end parts came from their LEO catalog.

Jed195

Ultimate Member
    Oct 19, 2011
    MD.
    Lots of them got done this way before the factories decided to make them. Shockwave published a list of parts needed from Mossberg. They were easy, since they had a ton of PGO Cruiser guns already in circulation, and the short front end parts came from their LEO catalog.

Yup...I was asking Chad about them when he worked at Scott's and they were cash and carry, and before they became an hql required firearm. There's s thread I started about shockwaves before they were a thing. Somebody owes me one!
    The 20 gauge Chad did was sweet...one handed shot and he says "pussycat" about its recoil in a video. I have the parts list written down for when I get the donor gun. Prices and availability are screwed now so more waiting.

Boats

Broken Member
    Mar 13, 2012
    Howeird County
    Federally, it is a "firearm"
    In Maryland in is a "pistol"

it must meet both federal and state laws to be legal.

The founding fathers would be ashamed of us.

eruby

Confederate Jew
    MDS Supporter

Then either keep or sell the barrel and mag tube/spring from the 18/20 inch front end to someone who wants to home defense their field mossberg.

The tough part is finding a 14" front end, or finding one that is not outrageously priced.

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    The tough part is finding a 14" front end, or finding one that is not outrageously priced.

Mossberg used to sell all the parts directly. Price wasn't too bad, although it ends up being a lot more than just buying a Shockwave.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom