• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    I have been trying to find one on GunBroker, but they appear to be rare as NIB. Have not looked at gun shops yet and have not asked my favorite gun dealer, SCSG, yet. I did some research last night and it looks like Smith & Wesson is talking about selling off T/C. I was thinking about the T/C Encore in .243 Win as a starting rifle for my kids and as a muzzleloader for me. So, here is my dilemma:

1) Are their T/C Encore rifles out there to buy NIB?

2) Should I be worried that Smith & Wesson is looking at selling T/C?

3) I read that replacement parts are pretty much unobtainium. Is this something that I should worry about?

Maybe Ruger will buy the T/C brand and I will have nothing to worry about. Until then......................

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Good luck with that. I kept toying with the idea to get a .243 barrel for my Encore(ML). I kept putting it off and putting it off. Now, I think I'm pretty much screwed. I love the gun. Killed many a deer with it.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Good luck with that. I kept toying with the idea to get a .243 barrel for my Encore(ML). I kept putting it off and putting it off. Now, I think I'm pretty much screwed. I love the gun. Killed many a deer with it.
    A guy I hunted with 20 years ago uses it as his main deer gun, and he has killed 100s of deer with it, as I am sure you have. He has the muzzleloader, slug, and a rifle barrel for it. He has permission to hunt all around Sugarloaf Mountain. I see him posting pic after pic even now of huge bucks he has killed.

So, am I pretty much screwed on the T/C Encore for what I am planning? The Blaser R8 is in an entirely different price level, but the T/C Encore not being an option would give me one heck of an excuse to sell the Blaser R8 idea to my wife. lol

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    I see plenty of them used on GunBroker, just no NIB ones. I have not bought a used firearm in my entire life and would prefer to keep it that way unless it is some insane antique that I want later in life.

Then, even if I buy this used one, what is the availability of the muzzeloader and shotgun slug barrels?

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I see plenty of them used on GunBroker, just no NIB ones. I have not bought a used firearm in my entire life and would prefer to keep it that way unless it is some insane antique that I want later in life.

Then, even if I buy this used one, what is the availability of the muzzeloader and shotgun slug barrels?
    They're out there. Just not cheap. There are also after market barrels, from what I remember. Again, not cheap.
    I don't think you'll find one NIB. They haven't been made in a while, have they?

ohen cepel

Ultimate Member
    Feb 2, 2011
    Where they send me.
    I would not let the state of Thompson keep me from buying a Contender or Encore as others are moving into that space.

Big Contender fan. Never got into the Encore as I didn't need that extra weight for what I was doing. Contender will do 7-30 Waters, 30-30, 357MAX, 45-70, etc. Likely could get a .243 barrel for it from these guys (who are making bare frames now also);

Gun Shack has a nice Contender set up; frame, 3 pistol barrels (.223, .22, and 44 IIRC) with 2 scopes for $750. They also had a few Encore rifle barrels in stock but I didn't look at those much.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I would not let the state of Thompson keep me from buying a Contender or Encore as others are moving into that space.

Big Contender fan. Never got into the Encore as I didn't need that extra weight for what I was doing. Contender will do 7-30 Waters, 30-30, 357MAX, 45-70, etc. Likely could get a .243 barrel for it from these guys (who are making bare frames now also);

Gun Shack has a nice Contender set up; frame, 3 pistol barrels (.223, .22, and 44 IIRC) with 2 scopes for $750. They also had a few Encore rifle barrels in stock but I didn't look at those much.
    I believe they were one of my bookmarked dealers. I eventually dumped them for lack of funds and loss of desire.

Sampson

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 24, 2013
    White Marsh
    My buddy has both the Encore and Blaser R8. Both are excellent rifles and fun to shoot. The R8 comes with the nice case that travels well.

CaptChaos

MDS Supporter
    Mar 1, 2008
    Calvert County, MD
    What is it that draws you to the Encore? I have an Encore muzzleloader that I hunt with, and frankly I've never liked it. It's heavy and I just don't shoot it well. I bought it when I started hunting several years ago as a few experienced hunters I know had them and spoke highly. I went this route because I couldn't find the Savage I wanted at the time and thought I'd buy several barrels, but I've never bought a single one. Every time I've looked they are so expensive that it never made any sense to consider over just buying another complete long gun. I have the nice wood stocks on it which makes it well balanced, but the whole firearm is just heavy and I always worry about scratching them up (I like to keep my stuff nice), but the synthetic stocks will probably throw off the balance and they are also inexplicably expensive as well.

Quick search on Gunbroker and it seems prices aren't any lower than last time I looked and in fact are higher, I see a new muzzleloader barrel for a whopping $750! I thought they were expensive when they were $500, but this is nuts.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    What is it that draws you to the Encore? I have an Encore muzzleloader that I hunt with, and frankly I've never liked it. It's heavy and I just don't shoot it well. I bought it when I started hunting several years ago as a few experienced hunters I know had them and spoke highly. I went this route because I couldn't find the Savage I wanted at the time and thought I'd buy several barrels, but I've never bought a single one. Every time I've looked they are so expensive that it never made any sense to consider over just buying another complete long gun. I have the nice wood stocks on it which makes it well balanced, but the whole firearm is just heavy and I always worry about scratching them up (I like to keep my stuff nice), but the synthetic stocks will probably throw off the balance and they are also inexplicably expensive as well.

Quick search on Gunbroker and it seems prices aren't any lower than last time I looked and in fact are higher, I see a new muzzleloader barrel for a whopping $750! I thought they were expensive when they were $500, but this is nuts.
    Yeah, think I have just decided to get a Ruger Hawkeye compact in .243 Win. I've read up some more on the T/C Encore and what is happening to T/C because of Smith & Wesson, and I've just decided the single shot break open barrel is not worth it. I'll put some glass on The Ruger Hawkeye and the kids can use that for deer hunting. Guess they could also use my .220 Swift if push comes to shove.

When a company has stopped making the specific gun I am interested in, stopped making parts, and it is about to be sold off or just wrapped up, I think it is best for me to pass on it.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Yeah I saw that two. I nearly messed myself.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    Fabs,
    What about an Encore ProHunter? I have one with muzzle loader, .45-70, and .308 barrels and they shoot great.

Try these people they make great barrels and beautiful custom stocks. Scroll all the way down and they offer frames as a courtesy to their customers.

Also try E. Arthur Brown:

Wsanner

Sep 19, 2012
    I have a Pro Hunter muzzleloader that I got about 20 shots out of it and one day I was sitting in the tree and it wouldn't open so I could put a cap in it. After getting it open the next day, I realized that the little fork used to push the barrel lock open was broke. I called and got on a waiting list for the part. after 2 years, I was still on the waiting list. I ended up fixing it myself. After dealing with all that nonsense, I grew to hate that gun and put it in the back of the safe. That was over 15 years ago. I actually forgot I had it until I saw this post.

CaptChaos

MDS Supporter
    Mar 1, 2008
    Calvert County, MD
    I have a Pro Hunter muzzleloader that I got about 20 shots out of it and one day I was sitting in the tree and it wouldn't open so I could put a cap in it. After getting it open the next day, I realized that the little fork used to push the barrel lock open was broke. I called and got on a waiting list for the part. after 2 years, I was still on the waiting list. I ended up fixing it myself. After dealing with all that nonsense, I grew to hate that gun and put it in the back of the safe. That was over 15 years ago. I actually forgot I had it until I saw this post.
    To be fair, I don't know that you're going to get 20 shots out of any muzzleloader without cleaning. Based on range time with mine, as dirty as it is I'm surprised it didn't get stuck closed earlier than 20 shots.

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    CVA makes the Scout takedown single shot that's very similar to the Encore, with pricing a lot more reasonable. Mine is .35 Whelen, but they have them in .243 and .44 Mag as well. I don't think they offer extra barrels, though you might not care about that since the price of the complete rifle isn't that high.

Wsanner

Sep 19, 2012
    To be fair, I don't know that you're going to get 20 shots out of any muzzleloader without cleaning. Based on range time with mine, as dirty as it is I'm surprised it didn't get stuck closed earlier than 20 shots.
    That wasn't 20 shots without cleaning it. It was cleaned after every 5 shots or so. Not to mention the part that broke could care less if it was a muzzleloader or a centerfire rifle. I was just saying it may of had 20 down the tube before it broke.

lax

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    Baldwin
    I have two encores one in pistol config 6.5 creedmore and the second set up as a rifle/shotgun, 20” 45/70 stainless, hopefully I’ll get to use it for a black bear hound hunt and a 12ga turkey cano barrel setup. They are great for what they are do a little trigger work and you have a nice light weapon.

Harrys

Short Round
    Jul 12, 2014
    SOMD
    I have been trying to find one on GunBroker, but they appear to be rare as NIB. Have not looked at gun shops yet and have not asked my favorite gun dealer, SCSG, yet. I did some research last night and it looks like Smith & Wesson is talking about selling off T/C. I was thinking about the T/C Encore in .243 Win as a starting rifle for my kids and as a muzzleloader for me. So, here is my dilemma:

1) Are their T/C Encore rifles out there to buy NIB?

2) Should I be worried that Smith & Wesson is looking at selling T/C?

3) I read that replacement parts are pretty much unobtainium. Is this something that I should worry about?

Maybe Ruger will buy the T/C brand and I will have nothing to worry about. Until then......................
    T/C are currently out of production after being bought out by Smith and Wesson. Which flavor od Oncore are you talking about muzzle loader of modern rifle?

Henry makes great single shot rifles in many calibers with a lifetime warranty you may want to look at them also.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davech1831

Latest threads

Top Bottom