• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Revvin' Evan

Oct 17, 2010
    Baltimore County
    So I'm waiting on a YHM 9mm AR right now. Is it a quick and easy job to swap it to shoot 556? Just remove the mag block and swap the upper? Or is there more to it?

I guess what I'm getting at is I really want a Colt 6933 but if it's super easy to switch the 9mm AR to shoot 556 I'll probably just buy an 11.5" colt commando style upper instead of a whole 'nother SBR.

Edit: To be clear the YHM is already a registered SBR.

IlikeNFA

Certified Gear Queer
    Aug 27, 2008
    Goodbye MD, Hello freedom
    You will also need an ar/m16 hammer. That is assuming you have the 9mm notched hammer in the lower currently. You may possibly need a different buffer as well...again, depending on whats running in the 9mm.

Flipz

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2010
    I'm waiting on the same SBR from 2ASALES. It already has a standard AR rounded hammer since it uses a ramped 9mm CMMG BCG so there shouldn't be a problem with it. You'll need to remove the mag block with the supplied Allen wrench, switch uppers, and change out the buffer. That should be it.

To my knowledge YHM just uses their standard AR lower for the 9mm SBR and adds the 9mm buffer and Hahn bottom loading mag block.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Thank you for the info guys. So a 10 minute change over?

30 seconds if you have a a standard hammer. Just remove the Mag Block and swap uppers. The Bolt type determines what type of hammer is used. A Ramped 9mm Bolt is what you want because it uses the same hammer as a 5.56 gun.

You can use the 9mm buffer for a 5.56/.223 so no need to change it unless it short strokes.

Flipz

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2010
    30 seconds if you have a a standard hammer. Just remove the Mag Block and swap uppers. The Bolt type determines what type of hammer is used. A Ramped 9mm Bolt is what you want because it uses the same hammer as a 5.56 gun.

You can use the 9mm buffer for a 5.56/.223 so no need to change it unless it short strokes.

YHM uses a ramped CMMG 9mm bolt in their 9mm AR's so the hammer in it is good to go. If you go to YHM.net you can see the different parts they use in their 9mm AR's.

Thanks for the info on using the 9mm buffer when running a 5.56 upper.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    I normally just check his posts for the pic..., always seem to forget what the topic is after though... :innocent0 :D

Revvin' Evan

Oct 17, 2010
    Baltimore County
    You all crack me up:lol2:

...and thanks for the info. That will save me a lot of cash.

So my next question is where to buy complete uppers? Only place I know of is Model 1.

Forest

The AR guy
    Jul 13, 2011
    So I'm waiting on a YHM 9mm AR right now. Is it a quick and easy job to swap it to shoot 556? Just remove the mag block and swap the upper? Or is there more to it?
    :thumbsup:

That is all you need to do

5.56 will run fine with the 9mm hammer and buffer. Note the opposite is not always true (9mm uppers don't work as well with 5.56 hammers & standard buffers).

Flipz

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2010
    DSGArms.com and RainierArms.com are both great. Ofcourse there is also BCM, AIM Surplus, and Palmetto.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I hear ya....:sad20: I don't care what topic it's in-- if revvin' evan is posting, I'm checking it out.... damn, I'm slowly turning into the dirty old man they always talk about.....:lol::lol2:

You're the dirty old man ALL of us talk about. That is a sweet Avatar

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads

Top Bottom