• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PO2012

Oct 24, 2013
    I'm already seeing help from outside agencies. Driving through Fell's Point yesterday, I saw a couple of MTA cruisers that had a responded to a call.

I just hope these guys police in the same manner that BCPD does.

MTA Police respond to any incident which involves an MTA Bus or has a nexus to the mass transit system. They are not augmenting BPD.

PO2012

Oct 24, 2013
    It will take a generation to change that police department.

The BPD could be turned around in five years with the right Commissioner. By law, BPD is a state agency. The Commissioner used to be selected by the Governor. That power was later transferred to the Mayor and City Council which was a big mistake. A Commissioner who didn't have to kowtow to local politicians could fix the department with ease. The problems are obvious and easily identifiable. The problem is that any Commissioner who crosses the Mayor and certain special interest groups gets shown the door.

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    The BPD could be turned around in five years with the right Commissioner. By law, BPD is a state agency. The Commissioner used to be selected by the Governor. That power was later transferred to the Mayor and City Council which was a big mistake. A Commissioner who didn't have to kowtow to local politicians could fix the department with ease. The problems are obvious and easily identifiable. The problem is that any Commissioner who crosses the Mayor and certain special interest groups gets shown the door.

I believe you can ruin a department in 5 years I'm not convinced you can rebuild one in 5 years.

The one saving grace with the city is the command staff isn't blessed in holy water and can be shuffled, moved, and removed rather easily from my understanding.

If the council sits for 4-20 years and the Mayor sits for 4-8 years I'd be impressed if a Commish can turn the entire department around in anything less than 10 years but they never last that long anyway.

You have to change hiring, change equipment, change promotional processes, add accountability for all employee's, get the citizens to...be citizens, and some how fund it all in a very anti police culture.

I hope they do turn it around because that means the city is turning around. A good Baltimore makes for a good Maryland.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Shive62

Latest threads

Top Bottom