• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Ammo looking ugly isn't a real problem, and a quick run in a dry media tumbler will fix that just fine if it bothers you.

The only thing I'd really be worried about is a switch, and that doesn't look like the case here.

Hibs

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2015
    Maryland
    I thought it was pretty well established that buying ammo from a gun show was like having sex with a stripper without wearing a condom?

Alutacon

Desert Storm
    May 22, 2013
    Bowie
    Ammo looking ugly isn't a real problem, and a quick run in a dry media tumbler will fix that just fine if it bothers you.

The only thing I'd really be worried about is a switch, and that doesn't look like the case here.
    Was a joke.

85MikeTPI

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2014
    Ceciltucky
    Don’t LE trade in ammo, when changing calibers, etc? I wonder if this was pulled back in and sold (hopefully at prices commiserate)? I could see some odd rounds removed from service weapons that were compressed, but if all were that way I would be suspicious

ShafTed

Ultimate Member
    Mar 21, 2013
    Juuuuust over the line
    Another data point. I, too, bought some of the Speer, although from a different show & vendor. (Not MMI, but another well-known and -regarded vendor.)

Mine are 125 grains and the boxes and cases are in good shape, but the setback & crimp look a lot like yours. Mine have a few cross pollination corporate kissing cousins thrown in, with the occasional Blazer head stamp. A few random sample spot checks show mine are measuring around 1.388, I don't know enough to know but I wouldn't think the different bullet weight would mean a different overall length.

Attachments

• speer.jpg
      speer.jpg
      129.3 KB · Views: 23

Oddway Otts

Mar 17, 2008
    Harford County
    Part 2:

There were a lot of these ammo boxes full of this ammo. I only bought one, but the vendor had a big spread of name brand ammo.

I found a pic online of this exact ammo. Coincidentally, it's from an IP on here's website, so I hope it is ok to screenshot :innocent0

View attachment 458175
    That case sure looks a lot cleaner than mine, but the bullet also looks just as too deeply set, and that is a pretty stout crimp.
    As best I can tell, this is what the projectile is supposed to look like:
    View attachment 458176
    There is indeed a cannelure, but both the rounds I bought and the one's pictured seemed to be crimped in front of it.

What makes me hold out the most hope that these are not reloads are the primers. They appear to be stamped "CF" which is also on the box. Apparently it means "cleanfire" for a less toxic primer. Would a reloader have gone through the trouble of sourcing CF primers? :shrug:
    View attachment 458177

The boxes do not appear to be water damaged. All of the cases have some degree of funk and the same deep set bullet. :shrug:
    Gee, I bought some M855, 62 grain 5.56 from this same seller. They said it was Armscor (the box was made in Montana). Upon opening, I found that none have a green tip. I've emailed Armscor and asked if these are actually unpainted M855s. Awaiting a reply. Wish I could remember who the seller was.

ShafTed

Ultimate Member
    Mar 21, 2013
    Juuuuust over the line
    Gee, I bought some M855, 62 grain 5.56 from this same seller. They said it was Armscor (the box was made in Montana). Upon opening, I found that none have a green tip. I've emailed Armscor and asked if these are actually unpainted M855s. Awaiting a reply. Wish I could remember who the seller was.
    I have seen/have some labeled M855 without the green tip. Mine do attract a magnet, easy enough to check yours.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I have personally bought 62g armor piercing bullets and loaded them. They did not have green tips.

I have personally bought 62g armor piercing bullets and loaded them. They did not have green tips.
    I am almost positive that SS109 bullets are 62gr w/steel penetrator tips without the green tip. M855 bullets are 62gr w/steel penetrator tips with the green tip.
    It is my understanding they are the same NATO projectile, but the USA paints the tips green and gave them a different designation.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    I would start with pulling a bullet and making a determination if there is a cannelure present.
    I'm not in the habit of crimping anything without a cannelure or shooting gun show ammo of any sort in the first place but thats just what I do.
    I dont even see a hint of a crimp groove which makes me suspicious let alone how that stuff may be charged.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I am almost positive that SS109 bullets are 62gr w/steel penetrator tips without the green tip. M855 bullets are 62gr w/steel penetrator tips with the green tip.
    It is my understanding they are the same NATO projectile, but the USA paints the tips green and gave them a different designation.
    Correct as usual.

ss109.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom