suspended for saying "Gun"- Parent considers federal suit against Calvert schools-

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ungermc

Uses Gun-oil Aftershave
    My son wanted to wear his 'Elmer Fudd' - "Be vewy, vewy quiet I'm hunting tewwowists" t-shirt to school...

I told him to go ahead and if anyone said anything, give them your permission slip and provided him with a pocket copy of the U.S. Constitution with the 1st Amendment highlighted.

No one said anything...

HT4

Dum spiro spero.
    Jan 24, 2012
    Bethesda
    I miss where I grew up in rural PA... school closed for the opening day of deer season and the local farm fair... and my good friend's nickname was "Buckshot" -- even the teachers called him that! :D

Things have changed.

I stopped by the school a couple years ago when donating money (a club I was involved in was about to be axed due to budget cuts). I was confronted by a police officer at the front door. :sad20:

jpo183

Ultimate Member
    Mar 20, 2013
    in Maryland
    There are so many things wrong here but the major one I see is that the police questioned an underage minor without the presence of his legal guardians. This case should have ambulance chasers flocking to it.

JasonB

Ultimate Member
    Sep 4, 2012
    Belcamp
    Who says the parents can't sue the administrators personally? It seems teachers can get sued - why else would so many of them carry their own liability insurance. They should be going after those involved PERSONALLY and shut them down before they can do anything like this again.

Tibbar110

Apr 27, 2013
    Who says the parents can't sue the administrators personally? It seems teachers can get sued - why else would so many of them carry their own liability insurance. They should be going after those involved PERSONALLY and shut them down before they can do anything like this again.

I imagine that I will need to be litigious in a few years on behalf of my kids. It's really a sad thing.

montoya32

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jun 16, 2010
    Harford Co

I may be wrong, but administrators are usually 12 month employees, not 10 month employees like teachers. This may have some bearing on their liability and how the school board covers them.

swerv88

Apr 16, 2013
    Does the bus driver have the right to detain the child? Don't know what power they have? Sounds like kidnapping wouldn't be out of the question if the father wanted to go after the driver too

Phil I Am

Sep 16, 2009
    Loudoun County, Virginia.
    This just in...

No more use of gunny sacks, no rifling through lockers, shooting a look, or firing off an email will be permitted.

Gathering ammunition for debate class will not be allowed, nor will setting sights on a higher grade.

Scoping out a cute girl is forbidden, and the football team will no longer have the shotgun formation in the playbook.

What about machine gun tooting? Is that illegal too?

Phil I Am

Sep 16, 2009
    Loudoun County, Virginia.

psucobra96

Ultimate Member
    Jun 20, 2011
    Since when does a school bus driver have the right to detain someone? I could understand detaining somebody violent or out of control but this was way over the limit. I'd be suing for more than just the suspension were I the parents.

When did Calvert County join yuppie land?

This was the first thing I thought, false imprisonment (and yes that is what it is called in tort law). I would go after the bus driver personally on that one, and name the school as co-defendants. I don't see where a bus driver can physically detain a child in this situation, and in fact believe there are few situations where they could argue they could.

Zibner

Aug 15, 2013
    Lexington Park Md
    Mine was expelled for eating2 pieces of liquor filled chocolate that friend brought in to school. I even read we're an elementary boy was suspended for making a gun jester and saying bang.

hvymax

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 19, 2010
    Dentsville District 28
    In our corner of Chuckles it is normal for kids to have 8x10's of them with their guns and deer in their notebook covers. I think the school administrators are just glad to be dealing with humans.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    illlocs33

Latest threads

Top Bottom