• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    Anyone ever seen a source for surplus old GI 1911 frames?

Thinking about a MEU (SOC) clone. Originals were on surplus frames before eventually being made with new frames and then replaced by the M45A1

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    Not GI, good luck on finding a bare GI frame. They have really took off the last couple of years
    Yeah Google and the normal places don't seem to be turning anything up

We're the Essex frames marked like GI frames or made to look the same in any way?

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    Essex frames are/were castings...not forged. I'm not saying cast frames are bad as there are some very good ones on the market. I have read early Essex frames had problems...don't know whether it was dimensional issues or porosity or finishing.

ohen cepel

Ultimate Member
    Feb 2, 2011
    Where they send me.
    I think a lot of guys building those types of pistols are using a Caspian frame as I think there were some built on those. I also think you can get a Caspian frames with US Property marks on it from Caspian.

I was never into them though so would just take it as a start point. There are some guys on the net BIG into them.

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    I think a lot of guys building those types of pistols are using a Caspian frame as I think there were some built on those. I also think you can get a Caspian frames with US Property marks on it from Caspian.

I was never into them though so would just take it as a start point. There are some guys on the net BIG into them.
    Yes later ones were on Caspian frames

I liked the idea of their most basic rebuilt Marines-making-it-work form is all. But if GI frames aren't a thing then that's that

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    For the price of a GI frame you could buy two very nice frames for military 1911 type pistols. FWIW, configured well, accurized, with goot sights and good trigger, they will be a comfort to shoot and shoot well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davech1831

Latest threads

Top Bottom