• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Skins_Brew

loves the smell of cosmo
    Mar 4, 2009
    moйтgomeяу сoцйту
    Any luck OP? I am pretty new to surf fishing. Attempted it last summer in OBX but didn't even get a bite. Heading to OC in less than two weeks and am going to give it another go. Looking to stock up on shit I need to buy now...

Dreago

Ultimate Member
    Jul 27, 2009
    We used to do a yearly trip to OBX and surf fishing was one of the things I would do daily. I never caught much, but it's still worth it....nice and quiet with the sound of the waves....VERY relaxing!

No_comment

Oct 19, 2013
    For anyone who fishes this way: if your line breaks, please go retrieve the hook and weight. Recently a lost hook almost caught my daughter in the face while she was playing in the surf.

henn5849

Aug 29, 2009
    Cecil County, MD
    For anyone who fishes this way: if your line breaks, please go retrieve the hook and weight. Recently a lost hook almost caught my daughter in the face while she was playing in the surf.

That's not easy to do. But, sorry that happened to your daughter.

NRA Member
    MD Hunter Safety Instructor
    RSO

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    That's not easy to do. But, sorry that happened to your daughter.

NRA Member
    MD Hunter Safety Instructor
    RSO

Er, yeah, I think No Comment has no idea how far a surf rig can cast or how big the ocean is.

1obxnut

Aug 21, 2013
    Silver Spring, MoCo
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think you can surf fish in OC between 8am-6pm (or whenever time the lifeguards come in and leaves)...you can't even drive OC surf without a "special event" permit (OC surf fishing tourney in Oct). You can fish the jetty at the OC inlet or the pier just inside (gotta pay for parking, and pier)

If you want to do night fishing, the Rt. 50 Bridge is good, been reading reports (w/pix) of some nice catches of Blues, and flounder, and a few rocks..

If you're going to AI (SP or NP) bring some serious insect repellent!! OFF and Cutter will keep the skeeters/ticks off of you, BUT them other bugs are immune to anything you put on..(haven't gone back to try the 3M Ultrathon or Thermacell)..

You may be better off up in DE ( north Bethany, 3R's, or inlet)..for bait..My go to shop is "Old Inlet" just north of Indian River Inlet in DE.

willy

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Oct 13, 2013
    Carroll County
    best surf fishing I did last year, was to bait up and body board way out while the line was in free spool....much farther than you can cast.

rgramjet

Ultimate Member
    Jan 25, 2009
    Howard County
    10+ years ago I went to the Outer Banks. My original plan was to get a charter boat for a half day. Had $500 saved up to make that happen.

Once I got down there, checked out a local bait shop/sporting goods store. I picked up 2 very nice $100 rods, 2 decent $100 reels and spent the balance on tackle.

The 100+ hours of fun I've had using the gear I invested in, far outweighed the half day charter boat trip.

Buy good equipment that will last.

Have fun!

rgramjet

Ultimate Member
    Jan 25, 2009
    Howard County
    For tackle, I'd buy 5 flounder rigs and 5 striper rigs for starters. The fake bloodworm in a bag works surprisingly well. Ask the folks at the bait shop for suggestions.

mark71211

Ultimate Member
    Sep 10, 2012
    Edgewater
    Back when I was a kid we would take a day trip from OC and go to Indian river inlet in Delaware to fish. We dug in the sand to get those sand flea thing then cast them right where the river meets the ocean. We would catch tautog and puffers there but they bite very lightly and then takes your line into the rock. It was always a blast but I always lost lost of gear to the rocks

pleasant1911

Ultimate Member
    Apr 12, 2012
    Yes. At Assateague Island is fun to fish, when you have a 4X4 and an overnight fishing off road permit. Thats if you have a 4 by 4 and willing to pay. It is kind of hard to cast, since you want to kill it every time. My brother goes when he can, and get the off road permit there every year. and there is a difference between our surf casting. other than that, research it on the internet, and I would say YES to surf fishing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Jtlambo

Latest threads

Top Bottom