• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ooops

Former Navy Bubblehead
    Nov 11, 2010
    Red Lion, PA
    Will these and cans in general still be able to purchased in the state after Oct. 1? I want to buy one but I don't want to get caught in some transfer limbo where I have paid for a can that I can't have.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

niftyvt

Ultimate Member
    Aug 21, 2010
    Virginia
    What about mounting a suppressor to a flash hider? That would give you 2 flash hiders and thus you would have 2 evil features. Or do NFA items not count as an evil feature?

I truly am curious about this.

IMBLITZVT

Ultimate Member
    Apr 20, 2009
    Catonsville, MD
    Will these and cans in general still be able to purchased in the state after Oct. 1? I want to buy one but I don't want to get caught in some transfer limbo where I have paid for a can that I can't have.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

What about mounting a suppressor to a flash hider? That would give you 2 flash hiders and thus you would have 2 evil features. Or do NFA items not count as an evil feature?

I truly am curious about this.

Guys, I don't mean to be rude but get a copy of the new law and read it! I am not saying this because I don't feel like answering your questions but because you should have some idea of what the law is and its clear you don't.

Suppressors are still 100% legal after SB281. No change there.

As far as evil features, the FH is an evil feature. Adding the suppressor does not make two evil features if adding to a FH. Its just a double of the same feature and so still just one. I guess it would be like mounting a stock that folded twice. Still just a folding stock and one evil feature. Now if you add it to a gun with no FH, you can't have another evil feature like a folding stock, grenade launcher..etc.

That all said, it will not impact the suppressor. It will impact the guns you can put it on. So buying a suppressor now, later or already owning one will not change this. The key here is to get the host gun pre-SB281.

IMBLITZVT

Ultimate Member
    Apr 20, 2009
    Catonsville, MD
    How would you mount a suppressor to a flash hider?

Most Rifle suppressors today mount to Flash hiders with quick mounts. See the threads on the outside of the FH? That way when the suppressor is off you still have a FH. Also most Suppressor FHs keep the suppressor from unscrewing.

YHM-3102-A.jpg

http://yhm.net/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=14_21&products_id=111

IMBLITZVT

Ultimate Member
    Apr 20, 2009
    Catonsville, MD
    Use a brake mount!

MB556K-SB.jpg

Well the ATF considered the Suppressor itself to be a Flash hider as it does kill pretty much all flash. So mounting a brake rather than a Flash hider will only help if MSP does not count the suppressor as a Flash hider. That is yet to be determined but most are guessing that they will follow the old ATF AWB rule even if that is now gone.

Then we get back into what and who actually determines what is a Flash hider vs. a muzzle break!

Ooops

Former Navy Bubblehead
    Nov 11, 2010
    Red Lion, PA
    Thanks for the info. I have host rifles already, I was just wondering if the evil feature part of the law would prevent retailers from being able to complete transfer.

niftyvt

Ultimate Member
    Aug 21, 2010
    Virginia
    Guys, I don't mean to be rude but get a copy of the new law and read it! I am not saying this because I don't feel like answering your questions but because you should have some idea of what the law is and its clear you don't.

Suppressors are still 100% legal after SB281. No change there.

As far as evil features, the FH is an evil feature. Adding the suppressor does not make two evil features if adding to a FH. Its just a double of the same feature and so still just one. I guess it would be like mounting a stock that folded twice. Still just a folding stock and one evil feature. Now if you add it to a gun with no FH, you can't have another evil feature like a folding stock, grenade launcher..etc.

That all said, it will not impact the suppressor. It will impact the guns you can put it on. So buying a suppressor now, later or already owning one will not change this. The key here is to get the host gun pre-SB281.

I have read the bill several times so get off you high horse. :rolleyes:

My question was about the feature test. Does 2 flash hiders (a standard flash hider and a suppressor mounted to it) count as one feature or 2? Your interpretation is it does not. Your argument about a double folding stock is invalid because they dont exist, at least I have never heard of one in common usage. The suppressor issue is a realistic possibility. Currently I am undecided on the suppressor mounted to a flash hider. Will it affect if I get a flash hider or muzzle break mount in the future, nope.

My question is more of a curiosity and to point out how horribly the bill is written. Technically if you have 2 flash hiders you fail the feature test. There is no direction in the bill, that I can find, of how to handle repeated features. What if I really like shooting fireworks and mount 2 grenade launchers to my quad rail?

IMBLITZVT

Ultimate Member
    Apr 20, 2009
    Catonsville, MD
    Thanks for the info. I have host rifles already, I was just wondering if the evil feature part of the law would prevent retailers from being able to complete transfer.

No, you are fine. Suppressors and flash hiders are not in anyway restricted. Those parts are fine to have. You can one piles of Flash hiders and folding stocks. What is restricted is a new semi auto with detachable mag and two of those evil features. The features themselves are not banned. Just guns having them.

I have read the bill several times so get off you high horse. :rolleyes:

My question was about the feature test. Does 2 flash hiders (a standard flash hider and a suppressor mounted to it) count as one feature or 2? Your interpretation is it does not. Your argument about a double folding stock is invalid because they dont exist, at least I have never heard of one in common usage. The suppressor issue is a realistic possibility. Currently I am undecided on the suppressor mounted to a flash hider. Will it affect if I get a flash hider or muzzle break mount in the future, nope.

My question is more of a curiosity and to point out how horribly the bill is written. Technically if you have 2 flash hiders you fail the feature test. There is no direction in the bill, that I can find, of how to handle repeated features. What if I really like shooting fireworks and mount 2 grenade launchers to my quad rail?

I don't think I was on a high horse... as I said it as kindly as possible. You would be shocked how many people never read a word of the law. I figured if you had you would have been able to answer your own question. Obviously not but I was still answered you. No need to get pissy.

Back to your question.
    (I) A SEMIAUTOMATIC CENTERFIRE RIFLE THAT CAN ACCEPT A DETACHABLE MAGAZINE AND HAS ANY TWO OF THE FOLLOWING:
    1. A FOLDING STOCK
    2. A GRENADE LAUNCHER OR FLARE LAUNCHER;
    3. A FLASH SUPPRESSOR;

So you have 3 categories. Even if you consider it two Flash hiders, which I don't think it is as the suppressor is getting all of the flash, you still only check off category #3. Since you still dont have one from category #1 or #2, you are fine. You could also have a gun with a Grenade launcher AND a flare launcher and be ok as you only check off category #2, no matter how many you have.

I think the law is actually written fine here. You are just reading to much into it or over thinking it. Just think of it this way, you can only have features found in one of the three listed categories.

niftyvt

Ultimate Member
    Aug 21, 2010
    Virginia
    No, you are fine. Suppressors and flash hiders are not in anyway restricted. Those parts are fine to have. You can one piles of Flash hiders and folding stocks. What is restricted is a new semi auto with detachable mag and two of those evil features. The features themselves are not banned. Just guns having them.

I don't think I was on a high horse... as I said it as kindly as possible. You would be shocked how many people never read a word of the law. I figured if you had you would have been able to answer your own question. Obviously not but I was still answered you. No need to get pissy.

Back to your question.

So you have 3 categories. Even if you consider it two Flash hiders, which I don't think it is as the suppressor is getting all of the flash, you still only check off category #3. Since you still dont have one from category #1 or #2, you are fine. You could also have a gun with a Grenade launcher AND a flare launcher and be ok as you only check off category #2, no matter how many you have.

I think the law is actually written fine here. You are just reading to much into it or over thinking it. Just think of it this way, you can only have features found in one of the three listed categories.

Ohhhh, ok. I ignored the numbers and just saw the 'or' between categories. I interpreted the 'or' as meaning more than 1 of any category will sink you just as quick as have 2 of differing categories. Since its broken into categories 1, 2, and 3 that clears up my question.

Quad fire works for all! . . . as long as you have a muzzle break (whatever that is). . .

Thanks much. :D

huesmann

n00b
    Mar 23, 2012
    Silver Spring, MD
    Most Rifle suppressors today mount to Flash hiders with quick mounts. See the threads on the outside of the FH? That way when the suppressor is off you still have a FH. Also most Suppressor FHs keep the suppressor from unscrewing.
    http://yhm.net/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=14_21&products_id=111
    Interesting. It looks like these require specific cans that are designed to be mounted that way, though. Or am I mistaken? Ordinarily the can would be threaded onto the barrel; the threads on these appear wider than the barrel.

IMBLITZVT

Ultimate Member
    Apr 20, 2009
    Catonsville, MD
    Interesting. It looks like these require specific cans that are designed to be mounted that way, though. Or am I mistaken? Ordinarily the can would be threaded onto the barrel; the threads on these appear wider than the barrel.

Yes each manufacture has their own thread pattern for FH to can connection. The standard threads would be from barrel to FH.

So basically you just have to add a FH to each gun you want to be able to suppress. Little to pay for a quick connection with a can that will not unscrew on you. Frankly this is one of the best ideas for suppressors ever IMHO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom