• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jcutonilli

Ultimate Member
    Mar 28, 2013
    100% Spot on!

Heller was as notable for what it didn't say as for what it did say, and that was deliberate. There's something in that decision that a judge can use to go anyway they want.* The federal judiciary was far from on board with the idea that the Second Amendment protects and individual right. As SCOTUS denied more and more 2A petition, judges and politicians have become ever more bold in trying to limit 2A rights. The high court's 2A disengagement has only encouraged actions like the SJC's Caetano decision and NYC's decision to oppose NYSRPA through the Second Circuit. They're playing the odds that SCOTUS will not grant review. Given the high court's record, it's a good bet.

With Caetano and the NYSRPA grant, I think the court is trying to send little hints to see if the lower courts are paying attention - they're not. NYSRPA gave the court the opportunity to issue a very limited decision, but New York blew it. If the petition is ruled moot, it just leaves the door open for a more expansive decision in a broader case.

*The SJC's opinion in Caetano was the big outlier here. It didn't just twist the majority opinion to suit a pre-determined outcome, it basically used the dissent as the basis for their decision. One can see just how torqued the SJC was when they were forced to issue a different ruling in Ramirez. They went out of their way to illustrate just how dangerous and vile stun guns are.

He is not 100% spot on. He completely misses the point. Heller certainly is vague enough for someone to read it any way they want. The real question is how to change it. Simply arguing that the lower courts are not following Heller is not going to change anything because it can be interpreted to support the lower courts decision. There is no need for SCOTUS to step in if the lower courts are mostly following Heller.

What is needed is to be able to explain why the lower courts are getting it wrong. I see very little if any argument devoted to why the lower courts are getting it wrong, they simply argue their particular interpretation of Heller.

I think one of the things that separated this case from the others was that there was no data supporting NYC's conclusions. I suspect there are five votes to at least require that some kind of supporting data is required. This case does not present a compelling argument to move much beyond that however.

I don't think they are looking for more expansive cases. One of the areas of similarity with all the cases they have taken are the they are very narrow in scope/applicability.

When I look at the reasons why SCOTUS is not taking cases, I attribute it to the arguments and the lack of explanation as to why the other side is not interpreting things correctly. How can SCOTUS really change things if you cannot articulate the reasoning?

Some Guy

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 26, 2017
    So, 5 grants today (no 2A cases). Supposedly these were from the Dec 13th conference. Very curious.

Now I'm curious. Why's this curious? I'm not familiar with how the court issues its decisions and communications, etc. Just curious!

Kharn

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2008
    Hazzard County
    They probably didn't want the cases to linger a month for late January grants, SCOTUSblog says now there are enough cases to fill the March argument calendar.

Knuckle Dragger

May 7, 2012
    Now I'm curious. Why's this curious? I'm not familiar with how the court issues its decisions and communications, etc. Just curious!
    The Order List is updated after every conference and on an ad hoc basis when necessary. https://www.supremecourt.gov/orders/ordersofthecourt/19

Court watchers scour this list regularly to see which petitions get granted or denied. GVRs and other orders are also listed. Sometime they're amusing.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    From Amy Howe's post on SCOTUSblog:
    With the justices not scheduled to consider new petitions for review again until January 10, 2020, today’s new grants give the Supreme Court enough cases to comfortably fill its March argument session, which begins on March 23. Orders from the January 10 conference could come as early as that afternoon.

Since none of the held 2A cases have moved forward. Does this increase the likelihood the New York case is not moot and will be heard on merits?

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    From Amy Howe's post on SCOTUSblog:

Since none of the held 2A cases have moved forward. Does this increase the likelihood the New York case is not moot and will be heard on merits?

Maybe. There are 3 conferences in January. If no action after the Jan. 10 conference, then perhaps

ironpony

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Davidsonville

rockstarr

Major Deplorable
    Feb 25, 2013
    The Bolshevik Lands

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    I didn't see shit about her feeling that way when the house conducted its partisan process.

Noo one ever suggested that prosecutors are impartial. Their job is to win cases, and thus win re-election.

To be fair, some of them may be ethical. Then there are the ones who withhold exculpatory evidence. . .

I trust Madame G will soon suggest that senators who would benefit politically from Trump's downfall will recuse themselves. . . .

DanGuy48

Ultimate Member
    So with this noise about Roberts possibly having to recuse himself from impeachment proceedings over possible conflict of interest because of his involvement with the FISA court, are democrats hoping to get RGB to oversee the impeachment and disqualify “biased” senators? Who would replace Roberts if he recuses himself?

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    So with this noise about Roberts possibly having to recuse himself from impeachment proceedings over possible conflict of interest because of his involvement with the FISA court, are democrats hoping to get RGB to oversee the impeachment and disqualify “biased” senators? Who would replace Roberts if he refuses himself?

It would be Thomas, not RBG, who would be next:

https://reason.com/2019/11/17/could-justice-thomas-preside-over-president-trumps-impeachment-trial/

Also, her direct comments about Trump and the impeachment would almost certainly disqualify her even if Robert's and Thomas could not do it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom