• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HaveBlue

HaveBlue
    Dec 4, 2014
    Virginia
    The Comcast case was argued on 11/13. CSPAN has it on their site but doesn’t show the date it was actually published.

The same audio was published on YouTube on 11/16. Presumably it was downloaded from CSPAN.

If CSPAN publishes it, that could happen quickly.

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    It's going to be a circus Monday morning.

3da83674bf0b8b073c25cbb518a66904.jpg

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Mike OTDP

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    I think the potential for damages kills the mootness argument. No, I think this one goes to a ruling. And I don't see how NYC wins it.

There's an old saying, "Hard cases make bad law." I suspect this will be the reverse, an easy case that leads to good law.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    I was thinking this says what is wrong with the moot claim. Basically gov allowing gov to spit in the eye of the 2nd amendment. As they say, the assumption that .gov is acting in good faith seems invalidated by the actions here and in other places that restrict 2a related rights.

https://www.scotusblog.com/2019/11/...-fighting-about-in-nysrpa-v-city-of-new-york/

But they are not simply looking at this case. They have other cases being held.

I think that the USG has a strong argument its not moot, but at the same time I think that the posture of this case creates a chicken-or-egg situation where mootness it part depends on the constitutionality of the original law. I also am not sure that this is a good case for the SCT to issue guidance for mootness when a law is changed to frustrate review, as it has been here.

A stickler for process (like Gorsuch, Alito, btw) might say that the case is moot, whereas a Justice who wants to avoid the incentive in the future to frustrate review will want to punish the City and disincentivize this behavior.

I see as a possible compromise the court takes one or more of the other cases being held and then GVRs this case based on the outcome of (one of) those. Trial court can then determine whether damages can be awarded or whether its moot.

delaware_export

Ultimate Member
    Apr 10, 2018
    interesting. and yeah, i kinda follow. (i am so NOT a lawyer, just johnq trying to understand and learn!)

as much as anything else, it still makes me want to see scotus react to the fact that, prior to changes in an attempt to moot, all the courts up to scotus didn't have a problem with this ?law?rule?

so, if the lower courts were all wrong, as far as the original law, before moot attempts, where is the court system being held to account?

no one in .gov had a issue with this until scotus poked its nose into the case. then the attempts to moot.

so, i get they may accept mootness here. the ny folks may never try this one again, but with politicians throwing gobs of anti 2a crap against a wall every year, and letting it stick, and scotus only reviewing 1 or 2 cases per decade, is not good.

and how will any of the different possible rulings effect all those other cases? obviously that's the bigger question here.

i will definitely be looking for the link to listen to the arguments on/after dec 2.

But they are not simply looking at this case. They have other cases being held.

I think that the USG has a strong argument its not moot, but at the same time I think that the posture of this case creates a chicken-or-egg situation where mootness it part depends on the constitutionality of the original law. I also am not sure that this is a good case for the SCT to issue guidance for mootness when a law is changed to frustrate review, as it has been here.

A stickler for process (like Gorsuch, Alito, btw) might say that the case is moot, whereas a Justice who wants to avoid the incentive in the future to frustrate review will want to punish the City and disincentivize this behavior.

I see as a possible compromise the court takes one or more of the other cases being held and then GVRs this case based on the outcome of (one of) those. Trial court can then determine whether damages can be awarded or whether its moot.

Fox123

Ultimate Member
    May 21, 2012
    Rosedale, MD
    I think they want to rule in this case, to get rid of all the other cases being held.

The million dollar question, do we enjoy the outcome....

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I think they want to rule in this case, to get rid of all the other cases being held.

The million dollar question, do we enjoy the outcome....

I think it is very difficult to side with NYC policy as applied to an enumerated civil right.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    They definitely want to rule, that's why they granted cert.

But personally I'd still rather chalk this up as a win, have them take another case, and have them vacate and remand this one subject to the new one.

A narrow ruling on this case makes for a narrow scope of the 2nd amendment. And this case allows a very very narrow ruling only on transport, not carry. Heck they could decide this on Commerce Clause grounds, not even the 2A. I'd rather see a broader case now .

Dont be fooled: the City attempting to moot this case will be interpreted by the court as nothing less than the City expects to lose badly. If anything, on the merits, a 5-4 decision became a 6-3 or 7-2 now because the City effectively conceded. the Justices who might write a dissent are now thinking even the City does not want to defend the law. That makes the Justices who voted for cert to overturn the 2nd circuit more confident.

Mike OTDP

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    A narrow ruling on this case makes for a narrow scope of the 2nd amendment. And this case allows a very very narrow ruling only on transport, not carry.

Perhaps. But it also sets precedent. It means that the other carry cases get GVR'd...to Circuit Courts of Appeal that have been quietly stuffed with conservative judges.

We're not going to win everything on a single ruling. But a couple of precedent-setting cases and we may very well see the provisions of the Civil Rights Act start to be applied. And violations of that carry criminal penalties.

rambling_one

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Bowie, MD
    I remain a pessimistic pessimist when it comes to the 2A issue. Been burned so many times. With a life expectancy quickly evaporating, I can’t afford to hold my breath.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    Perhaps. But it also sets precedent. It means that the other carry cases get GVR'd...to Circuit Courts of Appeal that have been quietly stuffed with conservative judges.

We're not going to win everything on a single ruling. But a couple of precedent-setting cases and we may very well see the provisions of the Civil Rights Act start to be applied. And violations of that carry criminal penalties.

Judges will simply say "transport" is protected and nothing more, same as the way they misread Heller, and limit the precedent to the ask in NY.

I rather something broader as precedent.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    How long after the orals will it be before we know something? Do we have to wait until next June just to find out they decided to moot the case or will a moot decision be released sooner than an actual ruling on the merits?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bapple

Latest threads

Top Bottom