Supreme Court remits MD assault weapons ban back to lower courts in light of Bruen vs. NY ruling

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Steel Hunter

Nov 10, 2019
    Mark Smith weighing in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can we get a summary of this for those who don't have 30 minutes to figure out what the actual meaning is? Mark is fine and all but his videos only have about 2 minutes of actual content and the rest is filler words.

Apd09

May 30, 2013
    Westminster, MD
    Can we get a summary of this for those who don't have 30 minutes to figure out what the actual meaning is? Mark is fine and all but his videos only have about 2 minutes of actual content and the rest is filler words.

He repeats what’s he’s said before about the Bruen methodology, see post before: Text implicated, burden shifts to gov, common use and analogous laws.

However the new more thought provoking part is he believes this request is coming from the 2A supporting judges, and it’s meant to back the rest of court into a painted corner. It’s going to make the State explain why Bruen then Heller then Caetano is not the correct way of interpreting the SCOTUS cases and try to refute all 3 of them.
    Where’s as the plaintiffs just get to point to the 3 and say SCOTUS already did all the work, there’s nothing for us to do but follow their direction.

So in summary it’s meant to be an FU to the state and make them put on record that Bruen-Heller-Caetano is the correct order.

Steel Hunter

Nov 10, 2019
    He repeats what’s he’s said before about the Bruen methodology, see post before: Text implicated, burden shifts to gov, common use and analogous laws.

However the new more thought provoking part is he believes this request is coming from the 2A supporting judges, and it’s meant to back the rest of court into a painted corner. It’s going to make the State explain why Bruen then Heller then Caetano is not the correct way of interpreting the SCOTUS cases and try to refute all 3 of them.
    Where’s as the plaintiffs just get to point to the 3 and say SCOTUS already did all the work, there’s nothing for us to do but follow their direction.

So in summary it’s meant to be an FU to the state and make them put on record that Bruen-Heller-Caetano is the correct order.

Thanks you are awesome for that. Hopefully the groundwork is properly laid to back 4th circuit into a corner such that it results in a highly favorable SCOTUS opinion in the future.

whistlersmother

Peace through strength
    Jan 29, 2013
    Fulton, MD
    He also mentions he has no doubt the 4CA will uphold the ban with magical thinking / leftist logic.

As a corollary, it would then have to be re-granted cert to SCOTUS.

FrankZ

Liberty = Responsibility
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 25, 2012
    I wondered if the left side of the court was looking to the state to give them a "convincing" argument to keep the ban in place.

delaware_export

Ultimate Member
    Apr 10, 2018
    would Maryland drop their challenge or attempt to change their law, at the last minute if they thought they would lose?

or if they lose, would they go for scotus ?

and Risk other states laws? Sort like the first bruen against NYC and the law saying gun owners could onlygo to 7 ranges in the city. They one they muted at scotus with legal games?

scottyfz6

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2018
    would Maryland drop their challenge or attempt to change their law, at the last minute if they thought they would lose?

or if they lose, would they go for scotus ?

and Risk other states laws? Sort like the first bruen against NYC and the law saying gun owners could onlygo to 7 ranges in the city. They one they muted at scotus with legal games?
    As my great esteemed collogue Burke said, they wont back down. They will fight and delay until the end. If it kills other laws they will refuse to acknowledge it and then drag that out for 6-10 years.

BurkeM

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2014
    Baltimore
    Latest update:

This case is scheduled for oral argument on March 20, 2024.

The parties are directed to file supplemental briefs specifically addressing the
    following issue:

Whether the inquiry into a weapon’s “common use” occurs at the first
    step or second step of the framework articulated in New York State Rifle
    & Pistol Association, Inc. v. Bruen, 142 S. Ct. 2111 (2022). In
    answering that question, the parties are to address who has the burden
    of establishing a weapon’s “common use.”

The parties may submit simultaneous briefs, not exceeding ten pages, on or
    before Tuesday, March 12, 2024.

Attachments

• Order_on_supp._brief_question.pdf
      90.6 KB · Views: 35

Apd09

May 30, 2013
    Westminster, MD
    Latest update:

This case is scheduled for oral argument on March 20, 2024.

The parties are directed to file supplemental briefs specifically addressing the
    following issue:

Whether the inquiry into a weapon’s “common use” occurs at the first
    step or second step of the framework articulated in New York State Rifle
    & Pistol Association, Inc. v. Bruen, 142 S. Ct. 2111 (2022). In
    answering that question, the parties are to address who has the burden
    of establishing a weapon’s “common use.”

The parties may submit simultaneous briefs, not exceeding ten pages, on or
    before Tuesday, March 12, 2024.

Sorry IANAL, is this just another link to what was posted last night or is it the schedule date that’s the update?

Apd09

May 30, 2013
    Westminster, MD
    Sucks to be him....

I would like to believe SCOTUS will respond in the most professional way possible saying “you would not need the extension if you didn’t take 14 months to issue a non response on a case, denied”

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    I would like to believe SCOTUS will respond in the most professional way possible saying “you would not need the extension if you didn’t take 14 months to issue a non response on a case, denied”

He didn't take 14 months, the 4th Circus did. Still sucks to be him.

BurkeM

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2014
    Baltimore
    Sorry IANAL, is this just another link to what was posted last night or is it the schedule date that’s the update?

following issue:

Court wants more information. Brand new ORDER.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    following issue:

Court wants more information. Brand new ORDER.
    AGAIN...It's the same link posted on the previous page in post 1657.

And the Date for the Oral Arguments is the same.

Why do you keep posting stuff that has already been posted?

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davech1831

Latest threads

Top Bottom