Supreme Court remits MD assault weapons ban back to lower courts in light of Bruen vs. NY ruling

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ironpony

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Davidsonville
    You can follow MSI on Twitter or their site.

4e50dc4792348f77bbfc9e207c14da10.jpg

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using Tapatalk
    1acf34e1d48cf982afe50908d1741ab2.jpg
    I was joking. Thanks.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    It was definitely meant to create a barrier to exercising one's constitutional rights.
    It is hysterical that D's call everything that has a disparate impact on the poor or minorities as racist, classist, and unconstitutional, unless it is something they wish to inflict.
    Someone here did the math. It costs over $1000 for a married couple to get carry permits and almost that much every two years to renew. The rulers of MD only want the gov't and criminals to have guns.
    If too many mere mortal citizens have guns, then their cash tip income goes away. Public corruption is highest where lawful gun ownership is the most restricted.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk
    That is probably ballpark of the average.

That said, market forces and all of that, it is possible for a married couple to do it for more like $500-700 and somewhat less every 3 years (it isn't every 2. It is 2-3 years for the first time, then 3 years after that). You certainly have to do some bargain hunting to get there though. I agree, it is a very hard economic pill to swallow, especially for poor or lower middle-class people (hell, I am upper middle class and it still wasn't a throw away cost). Just doing some quick poking, most places seem to be charging about 2/3rds the cost for a renewal class as the full 16hr class. Plus the renewal MSP fee is $50, not $75. And no new fingerprints required, which saves a further $60-100.

So really, on a renewal you are looking at more in the ballpark of $500-600 average for a couple to renew, versus around $800-1000 as the average cost to get the permit to start with. Bargain shopping could likely have the renewal at $350-500 on a renewal and $500-700 on a new permit for a couple.

Of note, in regards to public corruption convictions, there is actually no clear indication that gun restrictions have an iota to do with it.

The top states are mixed bag of almost no gun restrictions and heavy gun restrictions. And frankly, I don't think you can include DC in it has its the seat of power, and the most likely to attract such convictions. Especially since many federal public corruption cases will be handled by the DC federal courts (such as trials for Congressmen), but it is reported per inhabitant.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    That is probably ballpark of the average.

That said, market forces and all of that, it is possible for a married couple to do it for more like $500-700 and somewhat less every 3 years (it isn't every 2. It is 2-3 years for the first time, then 3 years after that). You certainly have to do some bargain hunting to get there though. I agree, it is a very hard economic pill to swallow, especially for poor or lower middle-class people (hell, I am upper middle class and it still wasn't a throw away cost). Just doing some quick poking, most places seem to be charging about 2/3rds the cost for a renewal class as the full 16hr class. Plus the renewal MSP fee is $50, not $75. And no new fingerprints required, which saves a further $60-100.

So really, on a renewal you are looking at more in the ballpark of $500-600 average for a couple to renew, versus around $800-1000 as the average cost to get the permit to start with. Bargain shopping could likely have the renewal at $350-500 on a renewal and $500-700 on a new permit for a couple.

Of note, in regards to public corruption convictions, there is actually no clear indication that gun restrictions have an iota to do with it.

The top states are mixed bag of almost no gun restrictions and heavy gun restrictions. And frankly, I don't think you can include DC in it has its the seat of power, and the most likely to attract such convictions. Especially since many federal public corruption cases will be handled by the DC federal courts (such as trials for Congressmen), but it is reported per inhabitant.
    You take into account the cost of travel to and from the class? What about the lost opportunity cost of not being able to work during the time you need to be in class? Both are items overlooked by those with money that are not worrying about their grocery bill and how they are going to feed their children today. How does somebody without a vehicle in inner Baltimore City get to a class? Is there a class and a range for said class within the inner city? I don't know the answer and am asking in the hope of being educated on the matter so I do not sound like a moron when speaking to others about this.

budman93

Ultimate Member
    Mar 1, 2013
    Frederick County
    So is this decision likely to take 6 to 8 months to come out like the supreme court or will it be quicker than that because it's a lower court and a rehash of a prior case?

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    You take into account the cost of travel to and from the class? What about the lost opportunity cost of not being able to work during the time you need to be in class? Both are items overlooked by those with money that are not worrying about their grocery bill and how they are going to feed their children today. How does somebody without a vehicle in inner Baltimore City get to a class? Is there a class and a range for said class within the inner city? I don't know the answer and am asking in the hope of being educated on the matter so I do not sound like a moron when speaking to others about this.
    Excellent points. Probably should add a lot more variability in the range. Mine were lower ends, which aren't within reach of some people. As with many things, which I'll admit I sometimes forget too, our legislators often forget that doing things often costs poor people more.

Despite eating healthier and typically more expensive foods, I'd bet my family of 5 actually probably spends less on food than many, maybe even most, lower income families and lower middle class families.

Despite my and my wife's work schedules, one of us, almost always me, has the ability, space, and time to cook dinner almost every night, so we rarely have to order prepared meals somewhere. Most of our meals still cost less per person than McDonalds would and is way heathier. So there are future (or current) medical expense savings too.

Getting food at the grocery store is also cheaper. We have the flexibility to go "oh, X thing we like to eat or use is on sale. I'll but half a dozen or a dozen of them and it'll last 4-8 weeks until it is on sale again". Or just buying in bulk, sure I'll buy the 48 roll thing of TP, I don't have to worry that my grocery bill is $10 higher because of it, since it is cheaper overtime in the bulk.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom