• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GSHOT

Jan 31, 2013
    Annapolis MD
    Can anyone tell me how to go about getting a suppressor in MD. i know there are a few different forms and you need to get fingerprinted and all that but what i would like to know is what forms i need and where do i get them? thanks in advance :)

Flipz

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2010
    Can anyone tell me how to go about getting a suppressor in MD. i know there are a few different forms and you need to get fingerprinted and all that but what i would like to know is what forms i need and where do i get them? thanks in advance :)

What area do you live in? If we know that we can suggest a ClassIII shop to go to. They will walk you through the entire process. It is a lot less complicated then it sounds. The hardest part is the wait to be approved.

skylighter

Oct 29, 2011
    I went to 2A Sales in Jessup. Mark gave me all the paperwork and a list of instructions on what to send where and when.

Just keep in mind, that you are looking at about a year wait from order to having it in your hands.

Flipz

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2010
    2A Sales would be my suggestion as well. Mark is great to work with and will guide you through the process. He will fill out the forms for you and instruct you with what to do next.

As far as it taking a year. I've never had it take that long. IF the suppressor is in-stock at the dealer you're looking at 7-8 months total. IF the dealer has to order the suppressor it can take anywhere from an extra month, to many extra months to get it into the shop. That all depends on its availability.

Lex Armarum

Ultimate Member
    Oct 19, 2009
    I recommend Scotts in Glen Burnie or Engage Armament in Rockville. Each a bit farther than 2A but well worth the drive. Both shops are very experienced when it comes to Class III.

TheRealJimDavis

Jan 28, 2013
    The Burnie
    +1 ON 2A and Mark. He doesn't have alot of time, and you'll have to wait in line an hour to talk to him, but his prices are damn good, and he'll take you step by step through the process. I've waited in that hour line for a few minutes of his time three times, and never been disappointed. Also, fwiw, it's more daunting the first time, and after you do it once, you wont be as intimidated. After my first form 4, I filled out a form 1 on my own and was pretty confident through the process. (though it hasn't been approved yet.)

A1Uni

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2012
    Or, schlepp down to Brentwood and see us at A1, we can get you squared away.:thumbsup:

Rumnhammer

Mar 2, 2013
    suppressors

As mentioned above usually the dealer will walk you through the process, but I thought I'd list it here so someone reading the thread will have a good general Idea of what is involved.

Step One: do your research and determine what type of Suppressor you want to get. ie what firearms do you want to host the suppressor, and what suppressor will fill your needs best. Basically they all do the same thing, but generally you have three sizes for lack of a better term. Centerfire rifle suppressors, handgun/submachinegun suppressors and rimfire suppressors. and two types of attachment styles direct thread on and Quick Detach.

The Centerfire rifle type come in direct thread and QD, are rated for the highest pressures, are generally for use on rifles and almost always are sealed because of the pressures they have to withstand.

The Handgun/Submachinegun type are mostly direct thread but there are a few that use QD. Some can be disassembled for cleaning, but most don't some can be jailbroken to facilitate cleaning, but that must be done by a licenced person.

The last type is rimfire, these are primarly for .22LR but most are rated up to FN 5.7 mm full auto for useage. They are pretty much all direct thread on attachment with the most common thread being 1/2 x 28. Most of the modern rim fire suppressors are also capable of being disassembled for cleaning due to the large amounts of unburned powder and lead residue that builds up inside them over time reducing them to barrel exentions if left too long between cleanings.

In choosing the suppressor, you need to consider the caliber it can accept, and how many guns will host it. If you get a direct thread on, any host will have to have matching theading, whereas if you go QD you can get flashiders to fit the thread of the host and use the same suppressor on a larger variety of hosts as it only needs to fit the QD not the thread of the host.

When I bought my suppressor I got a QD model in 7.62 that was rated up to 300 win mag, I did this to maximize the amount of rifles that can host this can. Not only can I put it on my Mosin Nagant, but also my FAL, my AK47, my SKS, and my AR/15 because not only will it go on any rifle with that QD flashider, but also will handle any rifle 7.62 or smaller.

Anyway back to step two.:
    After you determine what you want and find a dealer who has what you want , if they have it in stock you simply buy it right then and there just like any other purchase, only difference is that it has to stay at the dealer until you get your final paperwork back.

When you buy the can, usually the dealer will roll the Tax stamp cost into the cost of the suppresor, or they may elect to wait until you get the LEO paperwork done, but mine did the former.

Step three: The dealer will give you Two copies of a Form 4 and usually 2 sets of blue federal fingerprint cards. from this point you will need to go to a local police station or other autherised place to get the federal fingerprint cards done, this is pretty easy, most police stations often have a day of the week set aside for this type of thing. After you get the federal fingerprint cards done, you will need to take the Form 4 to the MSP headquarters in Pikesville where they will give you the pink state fingerprint forms (this could be changed now but was accurate last year) you then have to go to an authorized fingerprint place to get them done, once you get that done go back to the MSP and submit the form 4's with the pink state fingerprints along with a check for $18 to the MSP and then wait about 6 weeks, the MSP will do their stupid little precursor background check and mail you the approved form 4's back to your house.

Step four: Once you get your approved LEO sign offs on the form 4's back you need to get 2 passport photos to be attached with them, then take the blue fed fingerprint cards, your LEO approved form 4's and your photos back to your dealer, they will put them all together, and send them off to the BATF for federal approval.

Step five: wait approx 8 months to get your form 4 back with a tax stamp affixed to it, (it looks like a tax stamp you see on a carton of cigarettes or a liquior bottle) the dealer will call you when it comes back, and then you do the happy dance and go bring your new legal suppressor home.

enjoy.

cornstalk

Mar 13, 2013
    Continental Arms in Timonium sells them. They help you with the ATF paperwork. I believe you can purchase it and use it there while you're waiting for the paperwork. Just as long as you don't take it out of the range. I wouldn't swear to that, but I believe that is what he told me.

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    Continental Arms in Timonium sells them. They help you with the ATF paperwork. I believe you can purchase it and use it there while you're waiting for the paperwork. Just as long as you don't take it out of the range. I wouldn't swear to that, but I believe that is what he told me.

That is true.

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    What if I buy a suppressor off GB? Can I get it transferred in and then do the paperwork at one of these dealers? Or can I use any FFL licensee?

A1Uni

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2012
    What if I buy a suppressor off GB? Can I get it transferred in and then do the paperwork at one of these dealers? Or can I use any FFL licensee?

The FFL/SOT seller will have to Form 3 it over to an FFL/SOT of your choosing and they, in turn, will Form 4 it to you. It is a 6 to 8 month process, if you are lucky.

Shorthand Translation: A SOT to SOT tax free transfer followed by a SOT to citizen taxed transfer.

The dealer you use will have to be a FFL/SOT, not just a FFL.

Engine4

Curmudgeon
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2012
    Why are suppressors so expensive? Is it due to the technology or supply & demand?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mr88

Latest threads

Top Bottom