• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TheBert

The Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2013
    Gaithersburg, Maryland
    Allowing for Sunday hunting for waterfowl. Let your rep know you approve!

https://mgaleg.maryland.gov/mgawebsite/Legislation/Details/sb0160?ys=2022RS

This was about 30 years ago, I was in living in Damascus and we had a meeting with with out state reps and senators. This whack job of a Republican female senator was telling us about her no vote to expand water fowl hunting on Sundays. The eastern shore counties would have financially benefited from the increased revenue to businesses and the tax coffers. Her decision was based upon her liking ducks and not wanting any of them to get killed on Sunday.

biermkr

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2007
    Almost Heaven
    The length of seasons is still regulated by the feds. So if Sunday becomes an option the overall season length will be shortened.

Basically there are only so many days per seasons per flyway. Take the days now and divide by 6 equals the length of each split/season. If Sunday is included, take the days of the season and divide by seven.

gtodave

MDS Supporter
    Aug 14, 2007
    Mt Airy
    The length of seasons is still regulated by the feds. So if Sunday becomes an option the overall season length will be shortened.

Basically there are only so many days per seasons per flyway. Take the days now and divide by 6 equals the length of each split/season. If Sunday is included, take the days of the season and divide by seven.

Yeah I considered that, but most people can only hunt 1 of 6 days anyways because they work. Might as well give them a shot at 2 of 7, and maybe drop Tuesdays or something (and then it'd be 2 of 6)

biermkr

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2007
    Almost Heaven
    I totally agree, Dave. I would love the extra weekend day to hunt. I take a day off during the week just to sneak in some more time on the river. I would love to ADD Sundays in to the mix keeping the season the same amount of weeks, but that isn't going to happen.

Another thought, it most likely wold not benefit me because I hunt mostly public land (the rivers). The guides and landowners should like it.

Song Dog

Jan 2, 2013
    Eastern Shore -Delmarva
    Sunday waterfowl hunting has failed in committee in 2 prior sessions while you have 2 new Sponsors, others have not signed on that I can see yet. The other issue Maryland waterfowlers are not in agreement on adding Sundays as with the current season structure and splits would end middle of January. The Feds would at their leisure would have to grant Maryland no compensatory days we have now to allow fill season lengths.
    The feed back from Virginia allowing Sunday waterfowl has been mixed too.

Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    Damn, I didn't see this thread and posted another one, since the name didn't reference more than the bill name.

This is like the Holy Grail for guys that do landscaping an other services and hunt all the time in the season. Them and the guide are adamantly opposed to having the general public having another weekend day. Deer bothers some people, but they go nuts over waterfowl on Sundays.

Virgil Co.C

Aug 10, 2018
    Always heard the Sunday hunting goes back to the good ole days so the men would go to church. How true I don’t know . Be nice though to hunt birds on Sunday ,only so much time on weekend . Think horse people will fight it.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Always heard the Sunday hunting goes back to the good ole days so the men would go to church. How true I don’t know . Be nice though to hunt birds on Sunday ,only so much time on weekend . Think horse people will fight it.

Yes, it is one of the blue laws.

They won’t fight it in HoCo as the bill exempts HoCo. Of course.

Clark W. Griswold

Oct 5, 2009
    Yes, it is one of the blue laws.

They won’t fight it in HoCo as the bill exempts HoCo. Of course.

If one single county in md allows Sunday hunting for migratory birds, the entire state will lose the compensatory days.

In other words, counties that allow Sunday hunting will get the full amount of days to hunt. Those that don’t allow Sunday hunting will still have those Sunday’s count against the season and will lose days to hunt.

Sunday hunting for migratory birds will have to be an all or nothing proposition. I believe the only thing you can hunt on public lands on Sunday in Virginia is migratory birds

ohen cepel

Ultimate Member
    Feb 2, 2011
    Where they send me.
    The horse wenches in HoCo see to it I have no property rights on my OWN land on Sundays here.................

Have to use a pointy stick so not like I am scaring anything (other than the deer I miss with said pointy stick).

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    If one single county in md allows Sunday hunting for migratory birds, the entire state will lose the compensatory days.

In other words, counties that allow Sunday hunting will get the full amount of days to hunt. Those that don’t allow Sunday hunting will still have those Sunday’s count against the season and will lose days to hunt.

Sunday hunting for migratory birds will have to be an all or nothing proposition. I believe the only thing you can hunt on public lands on Sunday in Virginia is migratory birds

Oh, I am bitterly aware. Makes us HoCo residents (well and Baltimore and…PG? I forget what the third county is that basically band sunday hunting) that much more screwed.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    Oh, I am bitterly aware. Makes us HoCo residents (well and Baltimore and…PG? I forget what the third county is that basically band sunday hunting) that much more screwed.

Does not matter that you are a HoCo resident. Only matters that you hunt in Howard County. I was thinking it sucks to be you living in Howard County, but then I thought about the fact that I hunt a farm or two in Howard County and exempting Howard County from Sunday hunting would SUCK if this bill gets passed. I really need to find access to something west of 31 in Carroll County. Been seeing the birds head that way in the evening by the thousand so there has to be a decent roost over that way.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Does not matter that you are a HoCo resident. Only matters that you hunt in Howard County. I was thinking it sucks to be you living in Howard County, but then I thought about the fact that I hunt a farm or two in Howard County and exempting Howard County from Sunday hunting would SUCK if this bill gets passed. I really need to find access to something west of 31 in Carroll County. Been seeing the birds head that way in the evening by the thousand so there has to be a decent roost over that way.

That is an excellent point

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Wolfloc22

Latest threads

Top Bottom