Sugarlof Mountain closed till further notice.

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KJackson

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 3, 2017
    Carroll County
    Found this from back in the end of August:

Sugarloaf Mountain remained closed to the public on Friday as Stronghold, the property’s nonprofit owner, looks to ramp up security.
    On Aug. 19, the Frederick County Sheriff’s Office received a report of an attempted burglary at the historic Strong Mansion.
    When deputies arrived, they found that nothing had been stolen and the burglar had fled. The matter remains under investigation.

Boxcab

MSI EM
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 22, 2007
    AA County
    "Skip to content

(301) 874-2024

Menu

The Stronghold property will be closed to the public until further notice. Stronghold Incorporated will be focused on providing for and reassessing the security needs for the entirety of the Stronghold property. On Saturday August 19, 2023 an unidentified individual attempted to make entry into the Strong Mansion between the hours of 8:30 am and 10:30 am. Physical evidence was collected at the scene, including a DNA sample. Security camera footage is being reviewed. If anyone happened to see anything suspicious or has any information pertaining to this situation please contact Deputy Wheeler with the Frederick County Sheriff’s office at (301) 639-4866, reference case number 2023-090125. We appreciate any information as well as your understanding and patience at this time."

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    Uh huh. I might have believed that 3 1/2 years ago.

The true story probably involves secret covid labs, CIA safe houses, and Biden money drops.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    Uh huh. I might have believed that 3 1/2 years ago.

The true story probably involves secret covid labs, CIA safe houses, and Biden money drops.
    It’s just too high and the chemtrails from the Dulles traffic are eroding the mountain. Everyone knows about this.

Huckleberry

No One of Consequence
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Severn & Lewes
    It’s called Private Property for a reason.

If you own it then you get to control il.

Guests that abuse the Owner‘s hospitality and disrespect their host‘s property can GTFO

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    It's probably about a zoning issue before the county council.

Stronghold and the council have been going at it for a while.

N3YMY

Ultimate Member
    Jan 21, 2013
    It's probably about a zoning issue before the county council.

Stronghold and the council have been going at it for a while.
    This.

Amazon looks to build an arm of AWS in the vicinity west of I-270.

Stronghold is adamantly opposed to this.

Prior to all the hubbub, I was surprised to discover Sugarloaf was not a state park or recreation area, but instead private property.

In some ways, I would say the public has taken that for granted…

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    This.

Amazon looks to build an arm of AWS in the vicinity west of I-270.

Stronghold is adamantly opposed to this.

Prior to all the hubbub, I was surprised to discover Sugarloaf was not a state park or recreation area, but instead private property.

In some ways, I would say the public has taken that for granted…
    On the other hand, it was always nice to use the place without parks people breathing down your neck. I did a lot of rock climbing and hiking up there.

My main hunting ground is straight across the Monocacy River from it. As the sun rises, it's right there, looking back at me.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    Didn't I hear of somebody planning to build a LEO-training range out there? Lots of cranky locals spoke up.

N3YMY

Ultimate Member
    Jan 21, 2013
    On the other hand, it was always nice to use the place without parks people breathing down your neck.
    No disagreement there.

We are returning from spending a weekend in Chincoteague Island, VA. It was glorious! People were pleasant. People having good times. No yoots causing issues. No constant oversight from Big Brother.

If there was oversight, it was well concealed.

Sadly, it’s time to prepare to get back to reality…

FN509Fan

Ultimate Member
    Having personally spent over 100 hrs doing volunteer trail work at Sugarloaf as a member of a trail club that as spent thousands of volunteer hours there, I'm disappointed to see it is closed.

This is private property but "Sugarloaf’s original owner was Gordon Strong, a wealthy patent attorney who died in 1954. His will created the nonprofit Stronghold to maintain the area for the public at no cost to visitors after this death."

"At issue is who would be the best steward for the environmental protection of the area that includes Sugarloaf, which is privately owned but open for public access. The county says regulation would best keep the region protected from future development. The owner wants to manage the property without government regulation."

The break-in at the mansion is just an excuse to close it.

CHUNKERMD

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2009
    West MD
    About a month or so ago they had a go fast rice burner race up the wrong way of the one way exit and wrecked at the midway circle.
    Two took ambulances out and the other a medevac helo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Noha

Latest threads

Top Bottom