• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Speedluvn

Dec 23, 2019
    Baltimore County
    I’m seeking alternative subsonic load data without Trail Boss. I don’t have any on hand and none seems to be immediately available.
    My research has revealed that fast pistol powders or slow burning shotshell powders are possible. If I am incorrect in any of the information noted, please correct me.
    I have access to W231, CFE Pistol, Titewad, Ramshot Competition, American Select, Varget, as well as a couple other powders.
    I’m loading for a suppressed Ruger American, 22 in barrel with a 1/10 twist.
    Most of the info I’ve seen concerning this topic raves about Trail Boss is about 5 yrs old or older. I’m seeking any data any additional that might be available before contacting powder manufacturers.
    I also see that for this endeavor I’m working down to ensure the projectile clears the barrel.
    What, if anything, else am I missing?
    Any additional information?

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    unique is my go to powder for many reduced loads where the cartridge fill is not high.
    Its close to the burn rate of W231 but I have no idea how well W231 deals with low case fill. Unique is known to be forgiving.
    I have not done 308 with it cause well, I use 10gr trailboss & 150gr soft tip and loaded up a bunch couple years ago. It grouped tight at 50 & 100 yards from a bolt gun.

I use only 12.5grains in a 45-70 of Unique

I have some loading notes that show 6grains of Bullseye @ 1097fps with 160gr cast gas checked. Did not take notes on how well it shot cause at the time I was just checking velocity and also, not certain where I pulled the data from to get the 6 grains.

Speedluvn

Dec 23, 2019
    Baltimore County
    unique is my go to powder for many reduced loads where the cartridge fill is not high.
    Its close to the burn rate of W231 but I have no idea how well W231 deals with low case fill. Unique is known to be forgiving.
    I have not done 308 with it cause well, I use 10gr trailboss & 150gr soft tip and loaded up a bunch couple years ago. It grouped tight at 50 & 100 yards from a bolt gun.

I use only 12.5grains in a 45-70 of Unique

I have some loading notes that show 6grains of Bullseye @ 1097fps with 160gr cast gas checked. Did not take notes on how well it shot cause at the time I was just checking velocity and also, not certain where I pulled the data from to get the 6 grains.
    Thanks.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Burn Rate chart

When I go off the trodden path of using published (book or powder vendor website) load data will look at:
    loaddata.com (it does not only reference published data but it will include it)
    burn rate chart
    Posts from multiple sources
    Quickload (I have a licensed copy)
    Gordons reloading tool

Speedluvn

Dec 23, 2019
    Baltimore County
    I was directed by a member (thank you) to some Trail Boss powder. I obtained a boat load of Trail Boss. From my notes I started with a load of 12.5 grains. This was my first attempt at subs through a bolt gun gun. I was partially concerned about a stuck bullet. They were quiet! Im satisfied . . . for now. I want to get a chronograph to determine fps.

Speedluvn

Dec 23, 2019
    Baltimore County
    Burn Rate chart

When I go off the trodden path of using published (book or powder vendor website) load data will look at:
    loaddata.com (it does not only reference published data but it will include it)
    burn rate chart
    Posts from multiple sources
    Quickload (I have a licensed copy)
    Gordons reloading tool
    Thanks for this information

Blackstar65

Ultimate Member
    Jun 27, 2010
    I was directed by a member (thank you) to some Trail Boss powder. I obtained a boat load of Trail Boss. From my notes I started with a load of 12.5 grains. This was my first attempt at subs through a bolt gun gun. I was partially concerned about a stuck bullet. They were quiet! Im satisfied . . . for now. I want to get a chronograph to determine fps.
    Do you mind passing along the trail boss location in a message? I M.looking for some for subsonic 30-30 loads.

motox79

May 24, 2010
    damascus
    I know it’s been a while since this post, but I might have something to add. I’m running 10.5 grains of trailboss behind the 190grain sub x projectile. Silly quiet, good grouping (2” @ 100yds, maybe better) and low SD’s (around 12fps over 15 rounds) I’m shoothing through my Ruger GSR and chrono right around 1050fps.
    Now I just found published load data for titegroup, saying 8.7grains will put you around 1000fps with the same bullet. 9.7 is supposed to be closer to 1050 with a 220SMK. I loaded and shot about 10 rounds this am and it seemed to work well (no chrono). It held tighter grouping than the trailboss, but seemed a bit dirtier. Now I’m gonna try some of the new 255 grain sub x (made for 7.62x39). Should be interesting. I’ve sized about 50 projectiles, and they mic to almost a perfect .308 instead of .311. I’ll post results when I get a chance to set up the chrono!

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I know it’s been a while since this post, but I might have something to add. I’m running 10.5 grains of trailboss behind the 190grain sub x projectile. Silly quiet, good grouping (2” @ 100yds, maybe better) and low SD’s (around 12fps over 15 rounds) I’m shoothing through my Ruger GSR and chrono right around 1050fps.
    Now I just found published load data for titegroup, saying 8.7grains will put you around 1000fps with the same bullet. 9.7 is supposed to be closer to 1050 with a 220SMK. I loaded and shot about 10 rounds this am and it seemed to work well (no chrono). It held tighter grouping than the trailboss, but seemed a bit dirtier. Now I’m gonna try some of the new 255 grain sub x (made for 7.62x39). Should be interesting. I’ve sized about 50 projectiles, and they mic to almost a perfect .308 instead of .311. I’ll post results when I get a chance to set up the chrono!
    Titegroup you say. Interesting(it is known to be dirty, but I think that is somewhat overblown). Shooting suppressed can be a dirty business.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Titegroup you say. Interesting(it is known to be dirty, but I think that is somewhat overblown). Shooting suppressed can be a dirty business.
    I’ve made some good 9mm subs with Titegroup. Then I found VV N330….

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I’ve made some good 9mm subs with Titegroup. Then I found VV N330….
    Me too. All my 9mm is loaded with TG. Both supers and subs. I've not heard of Titegroup pushing .308 subsonics. Or am I reading this thread wrong?

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Titegroup got me making mousefarts out of my supressed 350L RAR. It's hilarious hitting steel at 200y with them:

Wow! I guess I'm a bit behind the curve(as usual). Is there an application for 300Blk?

guzma393

Jan 15, 2020
    Severn, MD
    Wow! I guess I'm a bit behind the curve(as usual). Is there an application for 300Blk?

Since pressure spikes are to be considered with using titegroup, I would only attempt this on plated/cast bullets sized to +.001 overbore. GRT says a range of 3-4 grains of titegroup should achieve subsonic values for bullet ranges from 160-200 grains.

I run 4.5 grains along a 165 grain plated 9mm bullet sized to .356 on the 350L, achieving transonic velocities (~850 fps).

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Titegroup got me making mousefarts out of my supressed 350L RAR. It's hilarious hitting steel at 200y with them:

Wow
    I could not even hear the 2nd and 3rd shots with the background noise
    Where were you shooting at?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jef955

MDS Supporter
    Feb 26, 2011
    Maryland
    Another thing worth looking into, search Ed Harris's "The load - 13 grains of Red dot" for low power/subsonic 30 caliber or larger rounds.

He cooked up a lot more than Ed's Red actually...

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom