Stupid question that I should know the answer to RE AR lowers and caliber....

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gungate

NRA Patron Member
    Apr 5, 2012
    Damascus. MD
    Stupid question that I should know the answer to and probably could be found if I wasn't too lazy to search.......

If I buy a .308 upper will it work with my Milspec AR-15 lower?

Like this one:

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    Stupid question that I should know the answer to and probably could be found if I wasn't too lazy to search.......

If I buy a .308 upper will it work with my Milspec AR-15 lower?

Like this one:

No. They are considerably different. You need an AR10 lower for an AR10 upper.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    No. And the AR10 uppers and lowers need to match, they aren't all compatible like AR's are.
    I found this out the hard way

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    Yep, there are two different styles of AR-10 lowers/uppers. I answered this a long time ago regarding the differences, but I cannot remember what thread that was in.

The original Armalite AR-10 lower/upper is different than the LR-308 type lower.

Here is a good write up:

All of mine are LR-308 lowers.

gungate

NRA Patron Member
    Apr 5, 2012
    Damascus. MD
    No. They are considerably different. You need an AR10 lower for an AR10 upper.

OK cool. So just about every other caliber you can get for a standard AR-15 lower but .308 needs specialized lower and upper it looks like. I really want to build a long-distance shooter so I'll research more. Thanks!

gungate

NRA Patron Member
    Apr 5, 2012
    Damascus. MD
    Yep, there are two different styles of AR-10 lowers/uppers. I answered this a long time ago regarding the differences, but I cannot remember what thread that was in.

The original Armalite AR-10 lower/upper is different than the LR-308 type lower.

Here is a good write up:

All of mine are LR-308 lowers.

So LR-308 is the way to go. I will research them. Do complete rifles tend to be the same cost as building them myself?

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    Get on the Aero mailing list. They'll run a sale every couple months, or maybe have a batch of so-called blems at a good price.

ted76

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 20, 2013
    Frederick
    I also recommend getting an AERO lower receiver, the color should be a good match and will fit perfectly. I have two M5 builds with AERO uppers and lowers, one in.308 and the other in .243.

jcutonilli

Ultimate Member
    Mar 28, 2013
    OK cool. So just about every other caliber you can get for a standard AR-15 lower but .308 needs specialized lower and upper it looks like. I really want to build a long-distance shooter so I'll research more. Thanks!
    The issue is really cartridge length and whether you want the cartridge to feed through the mag well. .308 does not feed through an AR15 mag well so there is a different lower that accommodates that cartridge length through the mag well. You may be able to find longer cartridge uppers that attach to an AR15, but they do not feed through the mag well. I have seen them for 50BMG. It is possible that someone else makes other caliber uppers that do not feed through the mag well, but you are kind of defeating the purpose of using an AR15 lower.

Johnny5k

Ultimate Member
    Nov 24, 2020
    The issue is really cartridge length and whether you want the cartridge to feed through the mag well. .308 does not feed through an AR15 mag well so there is a different lower that accommodates that cartridge length through the mag well. You may be able to find longer cartridge uppers that attach to an AR15, but they do not feed through the mag well. I have seen them for 50BMG. It is possible that someone else makes other caliber uppers that do not feed through the mag well, but you are kind of defeating the purpose of using an AR15 lower.

Some use the mag well as the ejection port. AR57 I believe.

gungate

NRA Patron Member
    Apr 5, 2012
    Damascus. MD

Thank you! - That is the best reason yet for why an AR-15 lower can't do .308. The bullets don't fit! :bowdown:

gungate

NRA Patron Member
    Apr 5, 2012
    Damascus. MD
    I am budgeting $1500 for 2023 for new firearms. I haven't gotten anything new in a long time. So the question is, should I get a Kriss Vector (or H&K USC) or an AR-10? Hard decision! I would use the carbine more and ammo is cheaper. But, the only long range I really have is an old Remington 700 in 30-06. But I never use that at all and suspect I would rarely use an AR-10.

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    I am budgeting $1500 for 2023 for new firearms. I haven't gotten anything new in a long time. So the question is, should I get a Kriss Vector (or H&K USC) or an AR-10? Hard decision! I would use the carbine more and ammo is cheaper. But, the only long range I really have is an old Remington 700 in 30-06. But I never use that at all and suspect I would rarely use an AR-10.
    The AR10 could easily suck up that budget...and more (especially if you put decent glass on it). The parts are not all the same Lego-like spec as 15 either, so you have to be a little more careful about building.

I found that, once it was in stock, the fully assembled Aero upper I wanted was a good bit cheaper as a whole than piecing it together.

gungate

NRA Patron Member
    Apr 5, 2012
    Damascus. MD
    The AR10 could easily suck up that budget...and more (especially if you put decent glass on it). The parts are not all the same Lego-like spec as 15 either, so you have to be a little more careful about building.

I found that, once it was in stock, the fully assembled Aero upper I wanted was a good bit cheaper as a whole than piecing it together.

Good call. I was thinking $1.1kish for the gun and $400ish for the optics. I do have a decent Vortex that I could put in it. It currently is on an air-gun so really being wasted at the moment. I guess I could also maybe swap or sell one of my 5 or 6 (or so) AR-15s that also don't get used and get an AR-10 instead.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    Good call. I was thinking $1.1kish for the gun and $400ish for the optics. I do have a decent Vortex that I could put in it. It currently is on an air-gun so really being wasted at the moment. I guess I could also maybe swap or sell one of my 5 or 6 (or so) AR-15s that also don't get used and get an AR-10 instead.
    Build the AR-10 from a Aero lower and Aero upper. Come to the dark side, we have milk, cookies, and bacon.

Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville
    There are cartridges out now that can get closer to .308 ballistics and still fit in an AR15 lower. That could give you more $ for glass if you are only buying an Upper.

slsc98

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 24, 2012
    Escaped MD-stan to WNC Smokies
    Someone (I believe it was here on MDS) posted THE MOST informative (incredible, really) chart on 7.62/308 uppers and lowers - I saved it regretting a bit the only credit I’d be able to give sharing it forward was that members forum “handle” … and now I can’t seem to find it … but, I’ll keep looking.

ETA: Found It!!!!!

Attachments

• 300FB421-1FC6-4F96-BC93-C3A298D05183.jpeg
      300FB421-1FC6-4F96-BC93-C3A298D05183.jpeg
      237.1 KB · Views: 57
    Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davech1831