• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    While walking barefoot around my gun bench this afternoon I stepped on this rogue screw on the floor under the table. It is a tiny conical screw, with a 3/32” hex head (wrench inserted in pic). It appears to be a set screw of some kind, and for the life of me I cannot figure out where it belongs or came from. Does this look familiar to anyone? I checked every rifle I’ve had out in the last 6 months, all hunting or long range rifles (haven’t had any of my AR’s or handguns on this table in a long while), and there’s nothing resembling it or any open holes for it. The only “gunsmithing” I’ve done in this time frame is I’ve replaced 2 scopes, installed 2 new others, and installed 3 new muzzle brakes, nothing too complicated or that required a screw like this.

The screw looks vaguely familiar but I can’t place it, and I have no memory of losing any parts that I’m aware of. Can anyone recognize what this could be for or what it may have come from? I’m thinking it’s from an AR, but I checked those too and still can’t figure it out. Everything I have seems to be working just fine, for now anyway :rolleyes:. I’m hoping the MDS brain trust can clue me in, because it seems I’m drawing a blank.

Attachments

• 2CF4CF14-DEF8-4095-8E1B-060C39399826.jpg
      2CF4CF14-DEF8-4095-8E1B-060C39399826.jpg
      25.8 KB · Views: 507

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    None that I touched for any reason. Oh, wait... I did take the front A2 sight & standard plastic fore end off my AR-9 in favor of a new Hogue round tube front end and red dot. I remember driving out the 2 pins in what would’ve been the sight/gas block but since it is a blowback design there was no gas block and tube or hole in the barrel. Perhaps there still was a set screw? You guys may have nailed it. I’ll check in the AM, that sounds reasonable. If I only knew how long that screw has been rolling around my basement floor I’d be better able to figure it out.

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    I can't think what else would have a set screw with that set up.....maybe a free float rail in the past?
    I was leaning towards handgun sight set screw, either front or rear, except I haven’t messed with any of them either. I do remember, albeit vaguely, removing or installing this type of screw at some point that is escaping me at the moment. I’m liking your gas block idea better at the present. If I wasn’t already in bed and exhausted I’d go check now..... Thanks for the suggestion(s), been driving me nuts all night.

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    If you have an Aero Precision lower it may have came as part of the rear takedown pin parts kit. Some of their lowers can retain the detent this way.

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    If you have an Aero Precision lower it may have came as part of the rear takedown pin parts kit. Some of their lowers can retain the detent this way.
    No Aero Precision, but thanks for the idea. I’m gonna run thru all my AR’s and check thru that area on each.

DivingDriver

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 14, 2016
    Nanjemoy MD
    Do you have an arm brace that slides. Some of them have a travel stop and that looks like a screw that would be utilized.

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    A light bulb just went off finally. I have an H&R 12 gauge Ultra Slug shotgun that has a hammer. I had to replace the Uncle Mike’s hammer extension that I originally installed on this with an H&R OEM model. The Uncle Mike’s one kept loosening and falling off because of the loosening......set screw. I did this replacement on my work bench just prior to Opening Day of Firearms season last year. The H&R version has been rock solid ever since, and its screw is an even smaller hex key size. I do remember getting mad at the first piece and chucking it. Wish I’d have kept it for confirmation, but right now I’m about 85% convinced I just figured out my answer.

I’m still going over all the areas you guys suggested, just in case. Thanks for everyone’s help in my “quest”.

dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg
    I'm going to guess it came from one of the muzzle brakes. May be an extra as sometimes the mfg will put one in the parts bag.

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    They were all thread on brakes, no set screws. One Silencerco ASR and two Area 419 Hellfires. I like the suggestion though, and truthfully.....I did just go back & double-check that anyway. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    roth405

Latest threads

Top Bottom