• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • stu929

M1 Addict
    Jan 2, 2012
    Hagerstown
    Anyone in frederick or hagerstown have a stuck case puller?????

I'm about to head out of town for a week and was going to roll some ammo to take with me and 9 rds into my sitting I have a LC case stuck in my hornady dies. I've been hearing a lot of this with hornady lately hope it isn't an ongoing trend. Ill get a puller now that this happend but really hoped to take some ammo wth me on the trip for my new rifle.

Thanks
    Steve

Last edited:

rickyp

Ultimate Member
    Sep 13, 2009
    You can make one from things at the hardware store and what you have at home.
    You need a drill bit
    Tap
    Allen head screw that matches the tap
    Bunch of washes with opening bigger then the case but will still sit on top of the die mouth
    And a washer that fits on top of the big washers that the hole is just big enough so the screw fits in.

Back out the escaping stem as far as you can. Drill out the flash hole and tap it. Then put the big washers over the case then put the small one on top. Put the screw trough the washers and screw it down. Once it is snug use an Allen head wrench and this will give you enough leverage to get the die out.

stu929

M1 Addict
    Jan 2, 2012
    Hagerstown
    I gave away a lot of my tools when I moved so I would have to buy everything except the drill and bit.

As I said I plan to order a kit but was hoping to get this die up and running sooner than later

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    What has been said ^^^ :thumbsup: It's very simple to do and cheap for the stuff at a local hardware store.

This is the "kit" I keep in my bench box. There's prob'ly $5 invested in it. Beyond the stuff in the pic all you need is a drill and bit to open the primer pocket, a handle for the tap, a box wrench that fits the bolt head (I like the idea of allen head screws :)) and a few minutes. A visit to the hardware store and you'll have the die back in bidness in no time. ;)

Attachments

• DSC00093.jpg
      DSC00093.jpg
      58.7 KB · Views: 132

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    The "kit" is pretty much the same thing.

Except it includes the drill bit for the tap, and instead of a stack of washers, it is has a cup.

Attachments

• 504741.jpg
      504741.jpg
      31.8 KB · Views: 95

stu929

M1 Addict
    Jan 2, 2012
    Hagerstown
    Most important it has a tap which I didn't think were that cheap. I don't have any taps and def do not have the handle for said taps.

Ill run over to the hardwarr store in a little and take a look.

rickyp

Ultimate Member
    Sep 13, 2009
    I just left tractor supply and they have the taps in a 2 pack for about 4$ and the drill bits for the same. You do not need the tap handle for this job you can use a box wrench or socket. The brass is soft enough that it isn't too hard to tap it out.

kalister1

R.I.P.
    May 16, 2008
    Pasadena Maryland
    If there is enough case head sticking out of the die to grab with Vise Grips?
    Lock on the vise grips and turn the die out of the press?

I have not tried this, Do not know if it will harm the die or not!

Just a thought?

stu929

M1 Addict
    Jan 2, 2012
    Hagerstown
    Not enough room I kinda tried and everything I read said dont bother you could ding up the die, mangle the case making it harder to extract and crush you finger ;)

It sheared the entire rim off so there really isn't much to grab onto

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    put it in the freezer for a few minutes and tap it back through with a screw driver.

I echo this, except, use a long punch instead of the "screwstick".

Put the die/stuck case in the freezer for 30 minutes.

Remove from freezer. (Spray some Break-Free around the stuck case and let it sit for a minute to draw in.
    Re-install die into press or padded vise.

Insert long punch through die/case.

SMACK sharply with ball pein hammer.
    Repeat as needed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Wolfloc22

Latest threads

Top Bottom