• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tundramuscle03

Beer Jockey
    Mar 19, 2007
    Dundalk Noob
    Getting back into AR's again, so to speak...had my .308 for awhile, but want to build another AR15 again, maybe two...the second I'll build up for my daughter to shoot when she gets older...

My biggest question is, what is the average going rate for a stripped lower? As much as I would prefer a billet lower, forged is fine...and where would you guys suggest looking? I live in Dundalk, but I'm over in Brooklyn Park and Pasadena Monday - Friday....Thanks fellas!

dagmars

BANNED!!!
    Feb 27, 2022
    $42.99 Anderson forged 7075 t6

SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville
    Roughly $100 is about average for a lower from the likes of Aero Precision, Spikes Tactical, or Stag Arms. Andersons should fetch closer to $50 these days, but if you have the budget, I'd stick to brands that are known for tighter QC.

I personally prefer forged lowers over billet.

A2 Sales and Supply in Elkridge often has lowers.

SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville
    $42.99 Anderson forged 7075 t6
    Yeah, but if you order online you'll have to pay the transfer fee, which often will put one of these over what one would cost in store (and from a better manufacturer).

redsandman6

Dec 22, 2011
    Dundalk
    i have purchased some lowers as of late. anderson lowers are around $100 at a local shop. skipatrol is right when you ship a lower in with shipping and the transfer fee its about the same. i bought a anderson from blue fins in dundalk on wise ave back in march. he had another in the case plus some completed lowers. i bought an aero gen2 lower from 2a sales i think for around 130ish otd. this was a couple of months back. and i am waiting on a aero fde m4e1 lower from tylers that cost me $210ish otd

SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville
    i have purchased some lowers as of late. anderson lowers are around $100 at a local shop. skipatrol is right when you ship a lower in with shipping and the transfer fee its about the same. i bought a anderson from blue fins in dundalk on wise ave back in march. he had another in the case plus some completed lowers. i bought an aero gen2 lower from 2a sales i think for around 130ish otd. this was a couple of months back. and i am waiting on a aero fde m4e1 lower from tylers that cost me $210ish otd

Bass Pro pretty recently had Anderson lowers for about $60. Those things used to be $25 on a good day... sometimes they'd sell them in packs of 10 for like $150!

Anderson lowers should never cost $100, but I know that some shops are still gouging.

$130 OTD for an Aero lower isn't too bad.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    I just bought a 3 pack of PSA blem lowers for $150, so essentially $50 apiece if you don't mind some minor cosmetic flaws.

redsandman6

Dec 22, 2011
    Dundalk
    Bass Pro pretty recently had Anderson lowers for about $60. Those things used to be $25 on a good day... sometimes they'd sell them in packs of 10 for like $150!

Anderson lowers should never cost $100, but I know that some shops are still gouging.

$130 OTD for an Aero lower isn't too bad.

prices have been going up lately on everything. I travel all over the state for work and stop into shops from time to time and i haven't seen any sub $100 lowers. they are probably out there. if you do find one then you have to factor in traveling to that shop twice due to the 7 day wait. gas isn't cheap either.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    how much did you pay in transfer fees?
    I haven't paid transfer fees yet - I literally, just 15 minutes ago, got notification they'd been delivered to my FFL. I'll go and do the transfer paperwork over lunchtime. With that said, I'm doing my transfer at Field Traders in Pasadena where they've said they'd do all 3 on the same transfer. They have a $40 transfer fee, but because I'm military, they've said they'd give me a discount on services, so $40 minus whatever the discount is.

On a side note, I'm a designated collector, so I can do all of them at once. Now I'll just have to wait a week for them to get out of transfer jail.

redsandman6

Dec 22, 2011
    Dundalk
    I haven't paid transfer fees yet - I literally, just 15 minutes ago, got notification they'd been delivered to my FFL. I'll go and do the transfer paperwork over lunchtime. With that said, I'm doing my transfer at Field Traders in Pasadena where they've said they'd do all 3 on the same transfer. They have a $40 transfer fee, but because I'm military, they've said they'd give me a discount on services, so $40 minus whatever the discount is.

On a side note, I'm a designated collector, so I can do all of them at once. Now I'll just have to wait a week for them to get out of transfer jail.
    I have seen some places charge a fee for each item. that's a good deal. most of the blems i have seen you cant even tell anything is wrong. $40 to $50 is about the going rate

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    I have seen some places charge a fee for each item. that's a good deal. most of the blems i have seen you cant even tell anything is wrong.
    They told me they'd do them all on the same form - whether or not that's the case, I dunno. Hopefully it can be done that way. If not, it's still the least expensive place I've found for transfer fees.

redsandman6

Dec 22, 2011
    Dundalk
    They told me they'd do them all on the same form - whether or not that's the case, I dunno. Hopefully it can be done that way. If not, it's still the least expensive place I've found for transfer fees.
    $40 is a gtg to me. the question is how far would you drive to save $5 or $10. and if you keep going to the same shop the price could change if you become somewhat of a regular

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    $40 is a gtg to me. the question is how far would you drive to save $5 or $10. and if you keep going to the same shop the price could change if you become somewhat of a regular
    Part of the reason I chose Field Traders is because they are close to me, but I went in to the shop to check them out before I decided to list them as my primary FFL on places like Gunbroker and PSA. They've treated me well, have been friendly knowledgeable, and most of all, they aren't condescending. I feel like often times a condescending attitude is common in gun shops - there's an assumption that because they are on that side of the counter then they automatically know more than you do.

spoon059

Ultimate Member
    Jun 1, 2018

Please update this thread and let us know if they transferred all 3 for one transfer fee, and if that is normal for them or if they are doing you a favor.

I remember hearing stories that FFLs used to do this, but the local dealers that I frequent charge the regular transfer fee per item. I recently mailed my designated collector paperwork, so I'd like to buy multiples and try to get them all on one transfer, rather than $40 per lower.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    I never found single lowers to be worth ordering online and paying shipping and transfer. I"ve had FFLs that told me it was $40 per item even when doing 2. MSP will charge just $10 for the 77r even if you do 2. but be careful and make sure you know how the FFL does it. I just go to 2A or Engage and get the lowers there. Engage has their Logo on theirs. I think it was $125 +$10MSP.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    Please update this thread and let us know if they transferred all 3 for one transfer fee, and if that is normal for them or if they are doing you a favor.

I remember hearing stories that FFLs used to do this, but the local dealers that I frequent charge the regular transfer fee per item. I recently mailed my designated collector paperwork, so I'd like to buy multiples and try to get them all on one transfer, rather than $40 per lower.
    Not one transfer fee - 3, but all done on one form.

Regarding the transfer fee, it was one at "full" price - in my case it was discounted to $32 because I'm military, and the other two were $16 apiece, so $64 worth of transfer fees, plus $10 for MSP application fee, and I was out the door for $74, which is less than some shops fee for a single transfer. I'm ok with it.

Slackdaddy

My pronouns: Iva/Bigun
    Jan 1, 2019
    South County Sportsman was selling Aero Precision M4E lowers for $115 last November. No transfer fees

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom