• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pop-gunner

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2008
    OP,
    So were you telling your wife to buy two for herself, or were you asking her to get a 2nd one for you?

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    A Designated Collector is a status granted to an individual by the Maryland State Police. This status allows the individual to purchase more than one firearm at a time. This status does not grant any additional privileges or expedite the processing time required for a regulated firearms purchase.​

Off of the MSP website
    http://mdsp.maryland.gov/Organizati...singDivision/Firearms/FirearmsCollectors.aspx

You can buy two pistols at one time without the letter, but no more than that. You’d have to then wait 60 days to make another regulated purchase.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    You can buy two pistols at one time without the letter, but no more than that. You’d have to then wait 60 days to make another regulated purchase.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I beleive that is supposed to be to take advantage of deals and things like estate sales/auctions.

Which a sale would apply here, but I believe the text of the law is specific as to when you actually can buy two at one time.

But I can’t really blame the clerk at BPS on this one. Selling guns is one of those CYA on not dealing with anything that seems or sounds fishy isn’t a bad policy to have.

JohnnyE

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 18, 2013
    MoCo
    Don't buy from this guy.

Attachments

• straw for sale.jpg
      straw for sale.jpg
      97.2 KB · Views: 234

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    A certain establishment remains in business :

1. Good location specifically with frontage on main road.
    2. Good location strategically, with regard to being in area with out nearby full service competition( to south and east anyway)
    3. They seem in theory to be knowledgeable on the surface .

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    NO, remember the case where the guy tried to buy one for his Uncle to get the Leo discount. The Uncle was not prohibited.

This. The legal definition is purchasing a firearm on behalf of another person. I can buy one with the intention of gifting it (so long as I have a good faith belief that the other person is not prohibited and we don’t circumvent any required checks on the final transfer).

I can’t buy it with the intention that the person is paying me (even if I make no money). That would be on behalf of.

That said, with a handgun, I doubt there’d be anything even a tiny bit wrong with buying a handgun at a discount with every intention of selling it to your buddy at cost with your buddy doing a barracks transfer and 77r. There would be no background checks circumvented or anything else like that.

I don’t think I’d want to test those waters in case MSP, ATF or a prosecutor decided to try to make an example out of me even if I were vindicated in court. But I would think by the letter of the law and absolutely the spirit of it, you’d be in the okay.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    If with intent for the horse to eat it , it would be a Hay purchase.

If for stall bedding , it might be straw . More common ( and my recomendation ) is sawdust .

lemmdus

Feb 24, 2015
    I am sure if you asked the sales man to hold it for your husband and that he will be down later it would not be a problem. Unfortunately what you did by talking to your husband right there on the phone is indeed state you would be buying for another person. Thus technically a straw purchase. One year my wife bought me a rifle for my birthday. She got me a gift card for it and had the sales person hold the rifle for me. I went down on the next day and filled out everything and had money left on the gift card for ammo. Just saying they can and will work with you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Wolfloc22

Latest threads

Top Bottom