• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rickyp

Ultimate Member
    Sep 13, 2009
    We all know you can not have a loaded gun in, on one against a vehicle.
    if you have a loaded gun while riding an at and get caught by dnr they cite you.

now say you have a maryland W&C permit and hunt with a handgun.

if you load the pistol put it in its holster then get on your atv and drive to your hunting spot if DNR catches you can they cite you?
    How about if you load your hunting pistol and lay it on the tailgate of your truck or on your seat will they cite you for having loaded pistol in your vehicle?

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    We all know you can not have a loaded gun in, on one against a vehicle.
    if you have a loaded gun while riding an at and get caught by dnr they cite you.

now say you have a maryland W&C permit and hunt with a handgun.

if you load the pistol put it in its holster then get on your atv and drive to your hunting spot if DNR catches you can they cite you?
    How about if you load your hunting pistol and lay it on the tailgate of your truck or on your seat will they cite you for having loaded pistol in your vehicle?
    Not that I am aware of. I’d have to go back and look at the language of the natural resources statute, but I am 98% sure it says no loaded weapons and calls out all of the types and conditions and then specifically says that those with handgun permits are exempt when it comes to pistols.

rickyp

Ultimate Member
    Sep 13, 2009
    Not that I am aware of. I’d have to go back and look at the language of the natural resources statute, but I am 98% sure it says no loaded weapons and calls out all of the types and conditions and then specifically says that those with handgun permits are exempt when it comes to pistols.
    I may have overlooked it but I do not recall seeing anything about exemptions.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I may have overlooked it but I do not recall seeing anything about exemptions.
    A person may not shoot at any species of wildlife from an automobile or other vehicle or, except as provided in SS4-203(b) of the Criminal Law Article and Title 5, Subtitle 3 of the Public Safety Article, possess in or on an automobile or other vehicle a loaded handgun or shotgun, or a rifle containing any ammunition in the magazine or chamber.

SS4-203 is the one relating to transport exceptions. Law enforcement and hand gun permit holders need not apply.

To me it is ambiguous as to whether a handgun permit holder is entirely exempt on any loaded firearm, or only handguns.

You still can’t shoot wildlife from a vehicle unless you are a disabled hunter with the proper permit.

rickyp

Ultimate Member
    Sep 13, 2009
    there are more reason to have a loaded gun on a atv. Most hunters use them as transportation to and from the field. The sad thing is they at least use to make a ground blind that attaches to a 4 wheeler When you get to your site you turn off the 4 wheeler and pull the blind over it we can not use this kind of setup

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom