• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Boxcab

MSI EM
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 22, 2007
    AA County
    I am looking to stockpile a general assortment of primers for future loading. What manufacture would you suggest to have on hand for each of the four basic groups (non-magnums)?

SP
    LP
    SR
    LR

Thanks,

Boxcab

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    Only been using cci on my reloads. Tried winhester and my lnl doesnt like it. Keeps getting stuck.

Last edited:

R357

Jun 23, 2009
    Upper Marlboro
    I only use CCI these days, I tried to save a few bucks with WOLF a few years ago and ended up with a 20% FTF rate on the batch.

On the upside I still use that ammo today for jam&clearing drills.

DZ

Ultimate Member
    Oct 9, 2005
    Mount Airy, MD
    I use mostly CCI primers for everything, but have had no issue with Winchester Large Pistol in my Lee Safety Prime.

kstone803

Official Meat Getter
    Feb 25, 2009
    Ltown in the SMC
    I have had no issue with winchester or CCI (tens of thousands of each). However if you were buying tens of thousands for storing I would go CCI just because the boxes are smaller.

Boxcab

MSI EM
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 22, 2007
    AA County
    Thanks for the input.

Up to now I have only used Winchester, I thought I'd ask before I sunk alot of money into any one brand.

boule

Ultimate Member
    Oct 16, 2008
    Galt's Gulch
    Went through about 4k Wolf LR's so far with no appreciable failures. Winchesters do fine as well, CCI mag, too.

Basically buy whatever you have worked up a load with!

zombiehunter

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2008
    I only use CCI these days, I tried to save a few bucks with WOLF a few years ago and ended up with a 20% FTF rate on the batch.

On the upside I still use that ammo today for jam&clearing drills.

Out of curiosity, what gun were you using?

OP: whatever you currently use would be my suggestion.

Spur

May 1, 2011
    Harford County
    Winchesters are a little hotter than the others. I have had no problem with them on pistol. For rifle I like Federal. CCI works fine for either. I have had FTF with Remington.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Of the major US brands, the folklore is that Winchesters are the hardest ( takes the hardest hit to ignite) and Federal the softest.

Win LPs are suitable equally for applications calling for standard OR magnum primers.

When we had complete availability of primers I would use WLP, and CCI for everything else. In the shortages, whichever I could find.

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    I use to use CCI, exclusively, until I got my Dillon RL-550B.

I was LEANING on the handle, trying to seat CCI primers in .45 acp cases.

I called Dillon Precision, and Mike Dillon answered the phone.
    After I described the problem, he said, "Let me guess. You're using CCI primers, right?"

"Yes. Why?"

"CCI primers are NOT 'round'. We designed the machine around the Winchester primer. Switch to Winchester primers, and your problem should disappear."

I got Winchester primers, and haven't looked back.

Federal primers (#205 and/or #205M) are what I use for my AR-HBAR loads.

R357

Jun 23, 2009
    Upper Marlboro
    Out of curiosity, what gun were you using?

2 different beretta 92fs. But the strikes look good and it eats everything else fine. I had heard that Wolf doesn't manufacture thier own primers but repackages ones bought ones bought from various European manufactures (hence the quality issues) but I have no idea if that is still the case or not.

pop-gunner

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2008
    I have "Game Guns" that will work with nothing but Federal...
    They use small pistol.
    For LP I like Winchester as I can use the same primer for standard or magnum loads.
    For rifle I use more CCI than anything as I have a bunch and they are cheaply, and easily replenished.
    Many people I know use small rifle primers for small pistol loads. This makes it nice to buy just one primer for 5.56 and 9mm.
    Downside of that is most striker fired pistols won't touch off a small rifle primer with 100% reliability.
    The folks I know doing this are running things like 9mm 1911s.
    The harder rifle primers seem to work better in hammer fired pistols than they do in striker fired pistols.
    In terms of cup thickness and hardness primers go in order of softest to hardest as Federal, Remington, Winchester, CCI, cheap Russian stuff...

Deep Creek Rock

.._. .._ _._. _._ .._
    Ive always used Winchesters primers, in various forms - never had one that did not fire off. There 209's work great for muzzleloaders too. The only thing I dont care for with Winchesters, is that they only have one pistol primer in the large size, that is for BOTH standard and Magnum rounds.

Have also recently tried Remington Pistol primers, and they work well too. Everyone of those fired off (unlike there rimfire garbage)

Havent fooled with CCI primers - Have had real bad luck with there #11 percussion caps for muzzleloaders.

oupa

Apr 6, 2011
    Winchester primers have long been regarded as the "least hot" of all the various manufactures. Not being one for precission nor max loads, I've always prefered Winchesters for this "safety factor." CCI once had a bad rep for out of round primers but improved their QC years ago to come out as one of, if not the best. You can't go wrong with either of these brands.

MAKINTRAX

Nov 7, 2008
    Harford County MD
    Over the years I've had a few failures to fire with CCI & Federal small pistol. Never had any failures with Winchester or Remington primers. And this is after more than 100,000 rounds loaded and fired.

pcfixer

Ultimate Member
    May 24, 2009
    Marylandstan
    I am looking to stockpile a general assortment of primers for future loading. What manufacture would you suggest to have on hand for each of the four basic groups (non-magnums)?

SP
    LP
    SR
    LR

Thanks,

Boxcab

I don't think it makes much difference on maker!!!
    Buy it cheap, stack it deep. That's the motto....:thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GD-3

Latest threads

Top Bottom