• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AliasNeo07

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2009
    MD
    I was taking apart my new HBAR today and took out the buffer spring. I noticed that the inside of the buffer tube is sort of sticky. Like, it feels like it has ridges inside made of something sticky.

I took apart my other AR that I build with a BCM buffer kit and it felt completely smooth.

Think I should clean/replace the buffer tube on the HBAR?

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    you need to love you AR not LOVE your AR..

ok.. thats out of the way.. maybe old grease??

AliasNeo07

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2009
    MD
    Usually the spring is lubed/greased to keep the noise down.

Maybe the factory used something stupid, and let it sit for a year before they sold the rifle, and it made little sticky rings on the inside of the tube. I don't have any break cleaner, but maybe I'll try some isopropyl alcohol and some shop towels.

Demoneyes86

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2011
    Baltimore
    Maybe the factory used something stupid, and let it sit for a year before they sold the rifle, and it made little sticky rings on the inside of the tube. I don't have any break cleaner, but maybe I'll try some isopropyl alcohol and some shop towels.

Some types of lubes tend to get quite tacky over time. Maybe it is an older lube they used perhaps if it was factory bought. Brake clean is awesome to have it works on a lot of stuff i do some auto work on my vehicles and friends/fam so i always keep some stocked :). Just make sure to lube/grease the spring so you do not get that spring noise. Gl

AliasNeo07

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2009
    MD
    This is bull. I swear the inside of the buffer tube is coated in some weird polymer or is made of plastic entirely. Screw it i'm just going to replace it.

Demoneyes86

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2011
    Baltimore
    why is it bothering you so much? it is inside it doesnt effect the rifle why replace it? Take off the tube and soak it hit it with a brush.

AliasNeo07

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2009
    MD
    why is it bothering you so much? it is inside it doesnt effect the rifle why replace it? Take off the tube and soak it hit it with a brush.

I don't know. I'm OCD I guess, lol. Just feeling the inside of my BCM kit it feels/looks clean, smooth, flat...perfect. Feeling this one...i don't know..it just feels bumpy, maybe creating a higher likelihood of something binding in there?

Who knows. You're probably right, I could just leave it.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    I was taking apart my new HBAR today and took out the buffer spring. I noticed that the inside of the buffer tube is sort of sticky. Like, it feels like it has ridges inside made of something sticky.

I took apart my other AR that I build with a BCM buffer kit and it felt completely smooth.

Think I should clean/replace the buffer tube on the HBAR?

did chad get a hold of it? ;) :lol2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GD-3

Latest threads

Top Bottom