• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jstolz

Aug 28, 2018
    Glen Burnie
    I haven’t seen this anywhere. I also didn’t see anything from youtubers I follow, so her I am. Has anyone owned or fired the microtech STG 556. As many of you know, the Steyr AUG is banned, so this is literally the only option.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    They've got a very uneven reputation, and to be honest, there are better bullpup options these days (especially from IWI).

That said, if I could get an E4 stock for my pre-ban AUG, that would be kinda cool.

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    Would you buy it again? Idk what it is about the Aug, but I just love it.

Hmm. Good question. I got it for a "good" price when I bought it. It's certainly a fun rifle to shoot and an interesting footnote in arms history. I'd have preferred a real AUG but Maryland sucks.

My concern nowadays is parts availability since MSAR closed up. Magazines are fortunately very available as are aftermarket parts from Ratworx. I think they actually made a parts kit for it which converted the FCG to use AR parts but don't quote me on that.

Certainly far less expensive than a Tavor.

I think all in all I would buy it again.

Boss94

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013
    I have several of them . including a rare factor built 1 in 7.62x39 with both a left and right handed bolts. they are really nice guns especially for the money. I also own Augs and love them as well. the MSAR is a much more refined gun as far as machining and finishing touches over the original AUG from the late 80s. the very early MSAR's with the forward assist bolts could be a bit finicky. but i personally never had a issues with the later guns. to me personally both the MSAR and AUG are a nicer gun than the tavor ( i used to own 2 of them. but sold them) just my opinion.

Buster Brown

Aug 11, 2019
    Southern MD
    I have a later built stg and like it alot. Mine works with Aug mags but from what i hear that can be hit or miss. Its reliable with everything besides russian steel case which is too underpowered. Because of parts availability id say if you want a md legal aug to fill a hole in your collection and occasionally shoot, go for it but if you want something to shoot the hell out of, get a tavor. Id buy it again for 1k or less as a once a year shooter. I payed 1k 2 years ago with a few boxes of ammo and a case when i ran across it locally. It looked unfired.

bigmancrisler

2A Preacher
    Jun 4, 2020
    Martinsburg, WV
    I have a later built stg and like it alot. Mine works with Aug mags but from what i hear that can be hit or miss. Its reliable with everything besides russian steel case which is too underpowered. Because of parts availability id say if you want a md legal aug to fill a hole in your collection and occasionally shoot, go for it but if you want something to shoot the hell out of, get a tavor. Id buy it again for 1k or less as a once a year shooter. I payed 1k 2 years ago with a few boxes of ammo and a case when i ran across it locally. It looked unfired.

Tavors are MD legal?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Buster Brown

Aug 11, 2019
    Southern MD
    Tavors are MD legal?

yes, if you get the md compliant version or any normal tavor with an overall length of over 29". Removable muzzle devices dont count. The md legal version is an 18" barrel with a permanently attached muzzle device bringing it to around 29.5" oal.

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    I have several of them . including a rare factor built 1 in 7.62x39 with both a left and right handed bolts. they are really nice guns especially for the money. I also own Augs and love them as well. the MSAR is a much more refined gun as far as machining and finishing touches over the original AUG from the late 80s. the very early MSAR's with the forward assist bolts could be a bit finicky. but i personally never had a issues with the later guns. to me personally both the MSAR and AUG are a nicer gun than the tavor ( i used to own 2 of them. but sold them) just my opinion.

I really wanted the 9mm one but alas

Buster Brown

Aug 11, 2019
    Southern MD
    heavy barrel is only a md requirement for Ar15s. Even with Ar15s, when you start changing interchangeable parts to non-interchangeable parts like chambering it in 7.62x39, the HB requirements goes out the window.

A classic example is the M1A. A normal 308 springfield amory is banned. One in 6.5 Creedmore is legal. A polytech 308 is legal because it uses metric parts vs Std for the springfield. Sometimes md follows this rule and sometimes for no reason whatsoever they may say a certain rifle isnt legal. Some banned rifles that are copycats can be debanned as well. An Arx100 is a banned copycat because of evil features count. Remove the flash hider or pin the stock open and now its legal.

bigmancrisler

2A Preacher
    Jun 4, 2020
    Martinsburg, WV
    A classic example is the M1A. A normal 308 springfield amory is banned. One in 6.5 Creedmore is legal. A polytech 308 is legal because it uses metric parts vs Std for the springfield. Sometimes md follows this rule and sometimes for no reason whatsoever they may say a certain rifle isnt legal. Some banned rifles that are copycats can be debanned as well. An Arx100 is a banned copycat because of evil features count. Remove the flash hider or pin the stock open and now its legal.

So the STG 556 is legal simply because it’s not AUG?

bigmancrisler

2A Preacher
    Jun 4, 2020
    Martinsburg, WV

I just don’t want to buy one then be a felon

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I just don’t want to buy one then be a felon
    I've never really heard of the MSP charging someone when the gun store screwed up and they bought something otherwise legally. They'll either seize it and call it a day, or force you to register it. (Neither of these seem like valid options under the law, but you know the MSP.) There was one dude once upon a time who bought an MCX and had to fight hard to get it back, but he did win in the end (as he should have).

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Noha

Latest threads

Top Bottom