• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ppat

Jun 2, 2012
    Has anyone shot this pistol? I went with a friend to my range and he had just picked up his new Steyr M9-a1. I was almost as impressed with this pistol as i was the first time i shot my PPQ. The ergos and trigger feel great. The pistol has trapezoidal sights that are really something special... I know they had extractor issues with the last batch imported into the US but appparently thats fixed... Is there anything else to look out for? Im currently looking/shopping around for one.

smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church
    I used to own an M40-A1, and found the recoil too stout and ammo too expensive for my tastes, I now own only .45 ACP and 9mm. That being said, it was an excellent, very reliable pistol. Once you figure out the sights and do your part, it is a VERY accurate pistol.

May want to check out the steyrclub forum to see what the current batch is like. I know the history of this pistol is kind of strange, but it is a good platform. It used to be you could get very cheap ($10) factory mags from CDNN. While they won't ship pistols to MD you can buy accessories there.

Ppat

Jun 2, 2012
    Apparently the new batch as a new extractor and a stiffer extractor spring... The sights are different but after a few mags i got used to them and i believe them to be more effective for me than standard 3 dot setups... Im surprised there arent many aftermarket trap sights... I know one company makes them for glocks but they are HUGE... I have a list of firearms i want to buy and a 9mm steyr is moving its way up the list, the only issue i can think of is factory support and aftermarket stuff

smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church
    The factory support is decent, in my experience. I did not have extraction issues, but I was experiencing primer drag. I e-mailed Steyr Arms Inc. (US Importer) and they said "oh we can check it out and install a new recoil spring if necessary". When I contacted one of their gunsmiths via e-mail, he said it wasn't an issue and didn't need to be repaired. :shrug:

Maybe he was right, I put nearly 1000 rounds through the one I owned and never had any issues except for when I bought a box of Blazer Aluminum, obviously not the fault of the pistol.

Steyr has been around for a LOOONG time, I figure they will take care of you if you have an issue.

smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church
    Nice avatar! Haha

Oh yeah,,, been meaning to change it lol. I sold it a couple years ago, and really I wouldn't mind picking up a 9mm, but I've invested a lot in Glocks now so I probably won't go back to the Steyr unless they start selling for $350 again.

However I've ALWAYS loved the AUG and the TMP (now B&T TP9, sold by DS Arms)... definitely good quality guns. The S-A1 series is beefed up compared to the Glock, it has a full steel subframe that the slide rides on

Ppat

Jun 2, 2012
    Ive heard that the steyr is what glock should have evolved into... It was designed by Bubbits right? A Buddy of mine has the MSAR AUG clone... Great rifle. I might look into the m40, im trying to get rid of my gen 4 glock 23 and id like to replace it with another .40

smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church
    Ive heard that the steyr is what glock should have evolved into... It was designed by Bubbits right? A Buddy of mine has the MSAR AUG clone... Great rifle. I might look into the m40, im trying to get rid of my gen 4 glock 23 and id like to replace it with another .40

From what I recall that's correct. I believed Wilhelm Bubbits (I think) pitched the "improvements" to Glock while he worked there, and they said "sorry but we like how we're doing it" and he left and sold the design to Steyr Mannlicher.

Now, as a Glock owner and trained armorer (and gunsmith too lol), I appreciate the simplicity of the design. You can literally disassemble almost everything with a 1/16" punch on the Glock, with only the sights and a sleeve for the striker inside the slide needing special tools to remove. Glocks are also as I like to say the "AK" of handguns, you can find parts everywhere and there is a lot of interchangeability between calibers/frame sizes/generations.

The Steyr is more of a niche gun but I wouldn't hesitate to get one if you like it. I once tried to get an MSAR rifle through someone selling one here but it fell through. I've never even fired one, but I'd like to. It's on the "long list" for me, but I definitely would like to get a TP9 if they ever approve it in MD. Or I could SBR one... I know they approved the old Steyr SPP so I don't see why the TP9 wouldn't get approved.

mrozowjj

Ultimate Member
    Apr 13, 2008
    Seattle-ish WA
    I have one and I like it quite a bit. I had some extraction issues and I actually had the gun double once which warranted sending it back to the factory to repair and they fixed it but I could never quite trust the gun again so as much as I like the gun it remains something I only occasionally shoot that I keep around mainly for the novelty.

Wilhelm Bubbits did design it and he's also responsible for the more recent Caracal guns that offer the similar design feature of lower bore axis so give that a look too... I don't know if they are on the approved weapons list yet though.

Ppat

Jun 2, 2012
    Didnt the caracal have alot of hype when it was first introduced? I have heard people are having issues with them... It does look like a combo of the glock and steyr pistols...

mrozowjj

Ultimate Member
    Apr 13, 2008
    Seattle-ish WA
    I don't know how it's performing or how much hype it hade. I remember people thinking it was interesting that it was the first pistol to come out of the UAE.

Diogenes

Roll Tide!
    Apr 9, 2011
    Paducah, KY
    I've never shot one but the company that imports them is based out of my hometown. The city whose name is in the slide is where I went to high school.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davech1831

Latest threads

Top Bottom