• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bpfeif1

May 31, 2012
    Parkville
    I am new to the forum, and with the Timonium and York gun shows approaching I thought it time to ask some opinions. I am thinking of picking up a Stevens 200 in 270 Winchester to begin building a more accurate rifle. I hesitate to say long range because in all reality I will probably only use it to 300 or 400 yards and that is down the road as right now I only have access to 200 yard range.

So I chose the gun because I have heard good things on other forums about the action. And would like to try and keep the build conserativly priced as it will be my first one. I have other rifles but nothing that I would take over 100yds and only one other has a scope on it. I would probably shoot the rifle stock as I collect parts.

I chose the 270 win for moderate recoil, and the ability to hunt pretty much everything in the area effectively.

So now that the long book is written, opinions? Bashings? Any thoughts and ideas are appreciated since I am so green in the rifle building area. (Also note by build I more than likely just mean assemble, and only things that I feel comfortable with as I would rather pay a smith then endanger myself or others or break any laws)

Ty! :D

bigjohn

Ultimate Member
    Jun 29, 2007
    a good stock and a good factory load should get you decent hunting accuracy that far out.

armed ferret

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 23, 2008
    McDoogal's
    I chose the 270 win for moderate recoil, and the ability to hunt pretty much everything in the area effectively.

.243 will do exactly the same thing on anything you'll find readily in maryland...and if anyone says it won't effectively work on a maryland bear, go hang yourself--maryland bears are PUNY and no more bulletproof against a .243 than a whitetail.

and it'll do it cheaper, with less recoil.

$.02

if you really feel you need a heavier bullet, why not go 7-08 or plain ol' .308? both are cheaper than 270 if you're buying quality hunting loads--and reloading they're even cheaper still.

bpfeif1

May 31, 2012
    Parkville
    Truthfully had chosen the 270 mainly from a recoil table. A 308 would be ideal as well, and I had not thought of a 243. I do like the idea if cheaper ammo, I assume it probably better on barrel life as well. I'll have to do some research on 243, ty for the reply!

bpfeif1

May 31, 2012
    Parkville
    a good stock and a good factory load should get you decent hunting accuracy that far out.

Thats what I was hoping. Maybe doing a stock and trigger. Any preferences to a good factory load?

I don't have the equipment to reload at this time but am definitely interested as it appeals to my tinkering side!

steves1911

Ultimate Member
    Dec 2, 2011
    On a hill in Wv
    .243 will do exactly the same thing on anything you'll find readily in maryland...and if anyone says it won't effectively work on a maryland bear, go hang yourself--maryland bears are PUNY and no more bulletproof against a .243 than a whitetail.

and it'll do it cheaper, with less recoil.

$.02

if you really feel you need a heavier bullet, why not go 7-08 or plain ol' .308? both are cheaper than 270 if you're buying quality hunting loads--and reloading they're even cheaper still.
    You do know that bears over 600lbs have been killed in MD? Not to mention a bears hide and bone structure is much tougher then a whitetail.

bpfeif1

May 31, 2012
    Parkville
    You do know that bears over 600lbs have been killed in MD? Not to mention a bears hide and bone structure is much tougher then a whitetail.

To quote Jim Halpert (from The Office)
    Question. What kind of bear is best?
    False. Black bear.
    Fact. Bears eat beets. Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica.

:innocent0 sorry couldnt help myself

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    The .270 Winchester is a fine round, and is quite capable of taking black bears and elk when used with a quality, bonded core bullet. Is your particular rifle blued/wood stocked or SS/synthetic stocked? Put a decent scope on it, and you'll be fine for what you're doing. Everybody has a favorite caliber, mine happens to be a shorter, skinnier version of yours.

bpfeif1

May 31, 2012
    Parkville
    The .270 Winchester is a fine round, and is quite capable of taking black bears and elk when used with a quality, bonded core bullet. Is your particular rifle blued/wood stocked or SS/synthetic stocked? Put a decent scope on it, and you'll be fine for what you're doing. Everybody has a favorite caliber, mine happens to be a shorter, skinnier version of yours.

The rifle I am looking to pick up is blued with a synthetic stock. I would more than likely go to a nicer stock as I have heard the stevens ones are very flimsy. If I did a barrel swap I would do a SS, I just think they look much nicer.

I would like to take an elk one day, thats a big +1 for going with this caliber in my mind.

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    Personally I would stick with either a .243 or a .308, depending on your expectations of the rifle. I have a tikka T3 in .243 that shoots MOA or even better at 100 yards with cheap 100gr pointed soft points. Don't over look them, VERY NICE rifle at the price point.

bpfeif1

May 31, 2012
    Parkville
    Personally I would stick with either a .243 or a .308, depending on your expectations of the rifle. I have a tikka T3 in .243 that shoots MOA or even better at 100 yards with cheap 100gr pointed soft points. Don't over look them, VERY NICE rifle at the price point.

Dont know to much about tikka, ill have to do some googling and check it out. Overall I would like to shoot MOA or below, get used to 200yds, and if I can find a range move to 3 or 400yds. But mainly use it to work on my shooting habits/form which is rough at best.

frdfandc

Fish It
    Aug 27, 2011
    Elkton, MD
    I have a Tikka T3 Lite Stainless chambered in .270. LOVE it.

I'm still trying to figure out what kind of ammo I want to use with it regularly. I'm shooting the following right now.

Remington Core-lok 130 grain
    Hornaday SST 130 grain

And I just picked up some Winchester Ballistic Silvertip 130 grain that I'm going to try out soon.

Might even try Nosler and see how they shoot as well.

The .270 will shoot 200 yards easily. My Dad took a whitetail (field dressed at 195 lbs) several years ago at approx 240 yards. It only took a few steps before dropping.

The .270 is a very flat shooting round. So 300 yards would be very feasible with the correct ammo, but windage might need to be accounted for when shooting further than 200 yards.

Duck

Apr 11, 2012
    Baltimore
    I would go with the 270 win. I have been shooting one for over 40 years. It's capable of killing all Jorth American game. (Right bullet) If you sight in at 200 yards you will be about 1.5 inches high at 100 and 6 inches low at 300 yards. I have used mine on whitetails only,but will go with me at west. I also have a 260 REM easy on the shoulder and to carry. Performance is about the same as a 270. Good luck on your choice.

armed ferret

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 23, 2008
    McDoogal's
    You do know that bears over 600lbs have been killed in MD?

Dates and frequency?

The world record black bear was taken in PA last year. Does that mean that everyone's going to see a 23-plus-inch black bear if they go hunting in PA? Of course not.

If pards up in Alaska take blackies in the 21-plus-inch range (that equates to 500+ pounds) year after year with .243 and 85TSX, and even .223AI and the 75AMAX, I'm pretty sure a 200-pound cub from Maryland isn't gonna shrug it off.

(if a 40-pound bow and a 3-blade muzzy can take one out, then a .243 will be just fine)

bigjohn

Ultimate Member
    Jun 29, 2007
    Thats what I was hoping. Maybe doing a stock and trigger. Any preferences to a good factory load?

I don't have the equipment to reload at this time but am definitely interested as it appeals to my tinkering side!

all guns are different. each gun may like different ammo best. just make sure that if you are hunting bear, make it a bullet up to the task of killing bear.

Maryland Hunter

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2008
    I have a Stevens 200 in .243. I have recently gotten measured .50" groups @100 with reloads. 85 grain Sierra BTHPs.

The action and barrel is a Savage 110. When they bought out Stevens, they put the 200out as the 110 without the Accutrigger.

The stock is okay for what it is, but no doubt you can do better. I recently put a Timney trigger on it, but I was getting .625" groups with the factory trigger.

I'm happy with mine, and I wish that I had gotten some at Bass Pro when they had them in .270 & 30-06 a few years back for $199:banghead:

MH

bpfeif1

May 31, 2012
    Parkville
    I have a Stevens 200 in .243. I have recently gotten measured .50" groups @100 with reloads. 85 grain Sierra BTHPs.

The action and barrel is a Savage 110. When they bought out Stevens, they put the 200out as the 110 without the Accutrigger.

The stock is okay for what it is, but no doubt you can do better. I recently put a Timney trigger on it, but I was getting .625" groups with the factory trigger.

I'm happy with mine, and I wish that I had gotten some at Bass Pro when they had them in .270 & 30-06 a few years back for $199:banghead:

MH

I'm glad to hear they shoot this well even with the flimsy stock they come with! I hope I can find a deal that good on one, gonna try the gun show this weekend.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I'm glad to hear they shoot this well even with the flimsy stock they come with! I hope I can find a deal that good on one, gonna try the gun show this weekend.

I'd look for a blued one with a laminate stock. Less flexing than synthetic, little to no warping like wood, and it looks good to boot.

bpfeif1

May 31, 2012
    Parkville
    I have a Tikka T3 Lite Stainless chambered in .270. LOVE it.

I'm still trying to figure out what kind of ammo I want to use with it regularly. I'm shooting the following right now.

Remington Core-lok 130 grain
    Hornaday SST 130 grain

And I just picked up some Winchester Ballistic Silvertip 130 grain that I'm going to try out soon.

Might even try Nosler and see how they shoot as well.

The .270 will shoot 200 yards easily. My Dad took a whitetail (field dressed at 195 lbs) several years ago at approx 240 yards. It only took a few steps before dropping.

The .270 is a very flat shooting round. So 300 yards would be very feasible with the correct ammo, but windage might need to be accounted for when shooting further than 200 yards.

I would go with the 270 win. I have been shooting one for over 40 years. It's capable of killing all Jorth American game. (Right bullet) If you sight in at 200 yards you will be about 1.5 inches high at 100 and 6 inches low at 300 yards. I have used mine on whitetails only,but will go with me at west. I also have a 260 REM easy on the shoulder and to carry. Performance is about the same as a 270. Good luck on your choice.

Thank you both for the insight. Its sounds like the round will do exactly what I am looking for. I think what I am leaning twords is 270 as my first choice, but if there is a deal on a 308 I won't hesitate. Sounds like both of these have the barrel life and range ability I am aiming for in a manageable recoil package.

If I end up lucking out this weekend on a deal I'll be sure to post and let you all know. Hope to see ya round the show! :party29:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Shive62

Latest threads

Top Bottom