• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • D2 vs 154cm pick the one that wins

• Total voters

chad2

Mar 26, 2011
    i have been running into a big problem lately i just bought a benchmade rift and wanted to do some reaserch on the steel because i have never used 154cm steel.

just to give you an idea of what i know first. 154cm is a step up from 440c in toughness and wear resistants but slightly less stain resistant D2 is a big step up from 154cm in toughness and a slight step up in wear resistance but a step down in stain reistance.BUT!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have resently come across a few bar graphs that show different, they have D2 steel and 154cm steel in the same graph showing 154cm steel as the same toughness and much more wear resistant then D2 steel :mad54: this cant be true because all knife makers advertise D2 as a better steel and less rust resistant i have also seen numerus forum talk about D2 VS. 154cm and every one says D2 is better in toughness ande wear resistance.

is this just people talking and because they pay more for the steel they make it seem like the steel is better?? this hole time i have thought that D2 was a step up on toughness and wear resistants but not as stainless.

have i been wrong this hole time??????????

if so why is it that benchmade and other knife makers use D2 in there more expencive knives and 154cm in there cheaper knives????

is it all a hoax???!!!!!

this is one of the bar graphs i saw that shows D2 barely better then 440c and not as good as 154cm :mad54::mad54::sad20:

http://www.dougritter.com/pop_up_cpms30v.htm

here is another website that says 154cm steel is pretty much the best all around steel for knives out today and just say that D2 holds an edge really well:mad54::sad20:

http://popsupply.bizhosting.com/steel_117.html

midcountyg

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2009
    Preston, MD
    I don't understand your comment about D2 being used in the more expensive knives. I sell Benchmade, and the lesser expensive blades seem to use the D2. D2 is a carbon steel, not really a stainless, so it is not a corrosion resistant. D2 does hold a good edge, and wears well. I don't buy and sell unfinished steel, but I believe the D2 is cheaper then 154cm. In my experience, the 154cm is a better all around blade material. You get good wear and durability, plus the added corrosion resistance. The blade I carry is a Benchmade with 154cm, actually two out of three of my personal Benchmades have 154cm blades. Both of those knives retail well over the two hundred dollar mark. My every day knife gets used a lot for various jobs, and it is holding up very well.

Boondock Saint

Ultimate Member
    Dec 11, 2008
    White Marsh
    Didn't read the OP, just wanted to comment on the overuse of the !!!!!!!!!!!111111111111111 and ???????/// keys. If you keep this up, we're going to take them from you. :tap:

cb51

I guess I must be a peasant at heart, because I enjoy using plain old carbon steel. No matter 1095, Case CV, or what ever Opinel uses in their blades. If I carry a stainless steel knife, my Gerber LST and Gator seem to do whatever I need to do, without needing to stop and sharpen. I think the wonder steel of the month is a game on the part of knife companies to get more of your money out of your pocket and into theirs by charging a lot more for a steel that gives a little more.

Like most things these days, it's gone over board.

Goldslammer

MDS Supporter
    Nov 10, 2010
    Brooklyn Park
    I'm not a steel expert, but for what it's worth, the best blade I own is made of AUS-8, skinned 3 deer with it and it still has an edge that will shave hair.

Didn't read the OP, just wanted to comment on the overuse of the !!!!!!!!!!!111111111111111 and ???????/// keys. If you keep this up, we're going to take them from you. :tap:

I agree how ever I did read the OP and thread because I was curiouse and don't know the differance in steel so for every one else who can contribut to the thread please continue so I can learn somthing.

G O B

Ultimate Member
    Nov 17, 2007
    Cen TX
    I guess I must be a peasant at heart, because I enjoy using plain old carbon steel. No matter 1095, Case CV, or what ever Opinel uses in their blades. If I carry a stainless steel knife, my Gerber LST and Gator seem to do whatever I need to do, without needing to stop and sharpen. I think the wonder steel of the month is a game on the part of knife companies to get more of your money out of your pocket and into theirs by charging a lot more for a steel that gives a little more.

Like most things these days, it's gone over board.

THIS!

Maverick0313

Retired and loving it
    Jul 16, 2009
    Bridgeville, DE
    I don't understand your comment about D2 being used in the more expensive knives. I sell Benchmade, and the lesser expensive blades seem to use the D2. D2 is a carbon steel, not really a stainless, so it is not a corrosion resistant. D2 does hold a good edge, and wears well. I don't buy and sell unfinished steel, but I believe the D2 is cheaper then 154cm. In my experience, the 154cm is a better all around blade material. You get good wear and durability, plus the added corrosion resistance. The blade I carry is a Benchmade with 154cm, actually two out of three of my personal Benchmades have 154cm blades. Both of those knives retail well over the two hundred dollar mark. My every day knife gets used a lot for various jobs, and it is holding up very well.

+1...:thumbsup:

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    From what I've read and been told, D2 tool steel is used because it's almost stainless due to the high chromium content, and it's really, really tough - tougher than the ATS 34/154 CM, which is supposedly considered one of the best of the stainless steels. It's harder, tougher, and holds an edge really well, once you finally mange to put an edge on it.

Dozier knives are D2, and the original First Blood knives (FB1 and Rambo/FB2) made by knife maker Jimmy Lile.

From my take on things, I don't think that either the 154 CM or the D2 steel is going to do you wrong, and as long as you've got decent quality steel in your blade you won't have a problem as long as you take care of your knives - it's not something I'd even waste any time thinking about. As a for instance regarding that, one of my favorite little knives is an older S&W Baby SWAT. I'm not even sure what kind of steel was used for the blade, but it takes and holds a decent edge, so to me it's not even worth worrying about.

Lex Armarum

Ultimate Member
    Oct 19, 2009
    FWIW, D2 is a tool steel that is supposed to "take a licking and keep on ticking" = hold a fair edge and stand up to abuse such as prying, poking, and otherwise. However, it is corrosion susceptible to the point where it will rust if put away wet/damp/unclean.

154CM is the new hotness is knife blades and from what I've experienced, rightfully so. I haven't used it to pry, poke, etc. anything yet but it hold a great edge and has great corrosion resistance.

If you go to the Recon 1 thread in this subsection, I posted what I think was a fairly good break down of steels.

Remember, its about angles, quenching, and method of production too. A good blade, whatever the steel, will be soft enough to take an edge easily, hard enough to hold that edge for a decent amount of time/work, and corrosion resistant enough so that you don't have to oil it every time you take it out or put it away.

chad2

Mar 26, 2011
    so a lot of you fell the same way i thought, that d2 is a higher end steel then 154cm well that is actually not true.

according to these bar graphs D2 is on par with 440c in thoughness and just a little bit more wear resistant and way less rust resistant? i guess i was wrong. there is a lot of people that love this steel and a lot of knife makers that use it in a lot of there knives this is why i was confused.

154cm steel is not that much more then D2 steel in price there heat treats are pretty similar also, knowing this why would anyone use D2 if 154cm is tougher and more wear resistant and more stain resistant, with not a big jump in price or a huge difference in heat treating? especially big companies like benchmade, is it just to please some poeples prefferences?

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    I think you need to do some more reading because I don't think that 154 CM is as tough as D2 tool steel - I've never read anything that would indicate otherwise.

chad2

Mar 26, 2011
    I think you need to do some more reading because I don't think that 154 CM is as tough as D2 tool steel - I've never read anything that would indicate otherwise.

the crucible website bar graph shows the samething it is a common misconception that D2 is tougher than 154cm, because it is a TOOL steel. well most of those poeple dont know that 154cm was produced for very tough manufacturing machines and machine cutting blades.

i have been doing my research and everything i read points to 154cm being a tougher and better edge holder then D2 even on the benchmade website.

chad2

Mar 26, 2011
    here is the crucible website. i want you to payattention to the catagory they have these two steels under. they have D2 under the MOLD & TOOL STEELS FOR PLASTICS. and 154cm steel under STAINLESS TOOL STEELS.

D2 was made for working with plastics

154cm was made for tough manufacturing tools and cutting machines not for plastics

http://crucible.com/eSelector.htm

look under stainless tool steels and under mold tool steels for plastics they also have a great discription of the steels uses and other things.

A. Wayne

Ultimate Member
    May 28, 2011
    curious, just for conversation, wouldn't some of the composition and manufacturing techniques of different metals/steels make them more durable and efficient for different uses? e.g. steel,plastic,wood

chad2

Mar 26, 2011
    curious, just for conversation, wouldn't some of the composition and manufacturing techniques of different metals/steels make them more durable and efficient for different uses? e.g. steel,plastic,wood

to a certain extent but it also depends on what type of steel they use.;)

chad2

Mar 26, 2011

you are deffinantly worng about this if you go to the benchmade website and go to the customize a griptilian stection of the website 154cm steel does not cost more but if you get the knife in D2 steel it cost 15$ more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jlng1984

Latest threads

Top Bottom