• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RavensFan11

May 28, 2013
    Timonium
    Hey all-

Found this ammo at WalMart today (sold out of all other 9mm). Guy there says he has shot it and it is pretty solid....a tad dirty. I grabbed a box (only $10....what the heck). As I was leaving, another customer says.."Just so you know, you can't shoot that at Freestate....no steel case allowed."

Is this the case? Anyone know if it can be shot at Continental?

Also - anyone else have experience with this brand....Russian made.

Thanks.

fleaman64

Ultimate Member
    May 12, 2011
    Hey all-

Found this ammo at WalMart today (sold out of all other 9mm). Guy there says he has shot it and it is pretty solid....a tad dirty. I grabbed a box (only $10....what the heck). As I was leaving, another customer says.."Just so you know, you can't shoot that at Freestate....no steel case allowed."

Is this the case? Anyone know if it can be shot at Continental?

Also - anyone else have experience with this brand....Russian made.

Thanks.

Call Continental, they will tell you. I don't know their range regs.

It's not necessarily the fact the ammo is steel cased - the case doesn't go down range. But, the bullet has a bimetallic jacket which is a thin layer of copper over steel with a lead core. The steel jacket can cause damage to some backstops. If the bullet doesn't pass the magnet test, a lot of ranges like Freestate say no dice, homeslice.

ibanez320dx

New guy.
    Jun 2, 2013
    Rosedale
    I've shot at freestate a few times and have never herd that before. But then again I've always had brass. That would be nice to know.

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    No Tula is not allowed at Freestate. It is a mild steel jacketed round.
    http://tulammousa.com/products/centerfire-pistol-cartridges/9mm-luger-9x19/

9LUG.jpg

The bullet of 9×19 consists of two elements, i.e.:
    -copper or bimetal jacket
    -lead core

Says nothing about steel in the core.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    It doesn't pass freestates magnet test that's why they will not let you use it they are in the mindset of better safe than sorry.

I do know you can use it at on target in Severn

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

yup, shot a crap ton of the 9mm and .45 tulammo at on target. It is very dirty but actually shoots pretty well. It is pretty soft shooting from what I remember.

Jun 19, 2013
    Nottingham
    I've shot tulammo before and have liked it. I was hesitant at first since it was the first ammo I had ever seen with a steel case. No problem at all, though I only went through 100 or so rds.

I think I read somewhere that it can damage the extractor more easily? Anyone else seen that/actually experienced that?

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    Extractors are hardened steel, steel cased ammo is relatively soft. The savings in replacing an extractor if it's ever necessary are well worth the discount on cheap Russkie ammo.

But wear can occur all over, from the chamber to the bore depending on bullet composition and gun specs.

In general, don't expect to walk into any range with magnetic ammo (case or otherwise) because of safety issues. Most places are very worried about over-penetration or ricochets with steel projectiles.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads

Top Bottom